• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

top dead center

Bucky

Tuned and Synch'ed
Today I pulled off the rubber plug on the front of the engine I see two small holes (180 degrees apart) I assume these are the marks that i will use to find TDC so I can do a valve adjustment is there something that lines up behind these holes or am looking at the wrong thing?

Oh this is on a Norge

Thanks

Um? No. Don't think there are any marks in the cover or on the lower belt pulley.

Not sure what the 'Official' proceedure is for finding TDC but the way I do it is simply remove the outer plugs and rocker covers, stick the bike in top gear and pull the rear wheel over by hand in the direction of rotation it would be going in if the bike were moving. Watch the inlet valve open, then watch it close. You are now on the compression stroke. Keep tugging it round, (Or you can use a socket on the crank nut at the front to turn the crank CLOCKWISE as viewed from the front.) and put your thumb over the plug hole when the air getting pushed out slows down you're close to TDC. Then poke something like a plastic drinking straw through the plug 'ole and turn the crank until it starts to decend again. Tun the crank back and then forwards again until you judge you have got the piston at the highest point.

A few degrees either side of TDC are immaterial for setting the valve lash. As long as BOTH tappets are sitting on the base circles of the cams the clearances will be right. Look at the valve timing diagram and you'll see that there is a HUGE length of time when both valves are shut. As long as you are 'Close' to TDC you'll be right.

Remember that the Guzzi motor is a 90* Twin with a shared crankpin. when one piston is at TDC Compression the other isn't. Treat each cylinder as a separate engine. Most movement efficient way of doing it is to set up the left cylinder first and set the valves on that side. Then turn the crank through 270 degrees, (360-90) to set the RH cylinder valves.

Pete

Pop out the rubber plug on the right side of the bell housing. If you have the 2 plate clutch, the flywheel is marked for TDC of the cylinders. "S" equals left and "D" right. On the single plate units, you must use the technique Pete describes. Be sure when you get to the marks both valves are closed. BTW, I use the method Pete describes on all bikes as it is faster once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for all the info I did the valve adjustment this morning it was real easy to do. And mind you I am no mechanic.

Thanks again
Bucky

Back