• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

torque and fuel dyno charts

duc

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Finally got my throttle bodies checked and the tps re set.Here are the d
results combining hp figures with both torque and fuel map.This does not
show maximum throttle run but shows what I thought you guys might most
be interested in.
Duc

Attachments

• 100_3895.JPG
    100_3895.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 643
  • 100_3896.JPG
    100_3896.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 642
Thanks Duc, not too bad except for the AFR. For those getting dyno runs on a Dynojet Dyno, take a memory stick and have the shop drop all of the *.drf files onto it for you to send to me if you would.

What fueling mods do you have done?

Todd I am not up on dynos a lot but loren showed m on the dynojet compter my full throttle run was 78.32 hp and the max torque was around 61 ft lbs.This was using your race ecu for the base and correcting from there.He showed me the actual map numbers, had to ad fuel at the bottm and took away at the top I did not bother getting him to print me a copy,sori.
The bike has open air box mistral pipe your ecu the usual get rid of the canister block off the stepper motor etc.Hope this also answers you qustion clam.

I noticed you dont seem to have that notorious torque dip between 4 and 5k. i would REALLY like to know what makes yours so special.

Clam,nothing special or different about the bike other than what I stated nothing else done.Loren did show me a lot of previous fuel curves he did on different runs before stopping where it is now.Some were really lean going as high as into the 15,s you notice the map has just a little variation in the 4 to 5 range but is really very good.I can not say enough about how well it feels
when you get on,not just 1st and second but every gear!wish I could give you more info but that,a about it.
Duc

GT-Rx said:
For those getting dyno runs on a Dynojet Dyno, take a memory stick and have the shop drop all of the *.drf files onto it for you to send to me if you would.

The same goes for me for Fuchs benches:
If someone gets a dyno run on a Fuchs dyno ask for the XXX.pui file in the "c:/moto/essai" folder (where XXX the id the run was saved as). I'd want a copy of the file, if it is no fuss.

On a Fuchs dynamometer you will get different numbers, usually less, do not worry, there are differences between the various bench brands - I'd be glad to help clarify differences over Dynojet numbers.

Clam, I did think of one thing that might make some difference,not sure.Although I read all the warnings about the sacred screw
I adjusted my idle just a little higher using it and the tps ended up being set at 5.2,Ran much better this way so thats how we left
it.If you are at 4.8 and raise they Idle to around 1175 to1200 the tps falls between 5.0 and 5.2.This may have absolutley nothing to do with the torque curve but is the only thing that is any different I can think of.

It will a little bit, because you are advancing the fuel/ignition curve without changing the position of your throttle grip. Meaning you are giving it more fuel and more spark advance per throttle position. Although i'm not sure what happens between range when the TPS reads 100% and the throttle grip hits the stop.

Mine idles at 1k to the dot.

Clam it is very easy to experiment and be ablto go back original,Just use avery small fine tip black marker and mark position of screw,turn clockwise to advance idle and tps if you have vdsts you can watch tps as you dial it in.Mine always sets to at least 4.8 when I reset it that is a lilltle higher than most.If you do try it let me know.
Duc

Spaceclam said:
It will a little bit, because you are advancing the fuel/ignition curve without changing the position of your throttle grip. Meaning you are giving it more fuel and more spark advance per throttle position.
Not true, raising the TPS (degrees) actually retards the timing.

I know the vstd shows this, but it just doesn't makes sense.

I have never encountered an engine in my life that retards timing (spark goes off later) as the engine speeds up.

The idea of spark advance, of course, is to achieve peak cylinder pressure AFTER the piston reaches top dead center. Fuel takes time to burn, so if the engine is spinning faster, the spark must happen EARLIER in order to achieve this

If the idle had a high degree of advance, it would be prone to detonating or kicking back, because the spark happens before TDC but the fuel burns nearly instantly in comparison to the motion of the piston, thus peak cylinder pressure is reached before TDC.

If higher rpms had a low degree of advance, the burn wouldn't complete since everything is moving real fast. This would lead to low power output.

On airplane engines, this is evidenced by mechanical devices called impluse couplings. They delay ignition by a number of degrees (usually in the really low double digits) and they wont start without them, because the engines will kick back otherwise.

To take the example to extremes, let's say that we have an engine, and we want the peak pressure to develop after TDC (as with all engines) but let's give it a number. say 10 degrees after TDC.

Let's say this engine had a real big flywheel, and could operate at 1 rpm. To achieve proper timing of peak pressure, the spark would have to go off at almost exactly 10 degrees after TDC, because the fuel burns instantly compared to the motion, and the pressure will build to peak before the engine moves too far.

Now let's speed this engine up to 20,000 rpm. If we lit the fuel off at 10 degrees ATDC as before, almost none of the fuel would be burnt by the time the piston reaches the exhaust stroke. Thus the timing must be advanced, and happen EARLIER in the cycle. In fact, the spark would have to happen BEFORE TDC. The building of pressure from ignition, and compression, are necessary to "cushion" the piston at these speeds, otherwise you'd stretch a rod and you'd blow stuff up for sure.

I think perhaps the confusion lies in the fact that what you mean by "ADVANCED' timing means the spark happens farther forward in the rotation of the crank (meaning the spark goes off closer to TDC, or fewer degrees before TDC)

IN any case, if the TPS thinks the throttle is open more than it is, the spark will happen earlier in the rotation. (more degrees before TDC) Perhaps the VSTD measures DEGREES FROM FULL ADVANCE?

In my experience, you increase advance as rpm increases(up to a point and then you decrease it again).
You decrease advance as engine load increases.
Modern bikes like Guzzi's are not limited to just looking at rpm. I would think they use throttle position to determine engine load and rpm to determine engine speed. Therefore it makes sense that the ignition advance would decrease if rpm stayed the same and the throttle position (TPS) increased.

That is true, but that is not what was being done when this observation was reported.

HOwever, guzzimoto is right that as you open the throttle but keep rpm the same, vaccum decreases, in the end causing higher dynamic compression. This higher pressure mixture burns faster, thus less advance is needed.

THis observation however was made with the engine unloaded, in neutral, slowly increasing the throttle, with the engine following suit.

I believe the initial observation was about adjusting the "sacred screw" to increase the idle speed and it's potential effect on TPS values.
Personally I don't think it would have a impact on how the motor ran unless you adjusted the "sacred screw" and then reset the TPS. The TPS value at idle will increase if you adjust the "sacred screw", but it will have no impact on the TPS value at WOT. Adjusting the screw is no different then the fast idle on a V11 or cracking the throttle open until you reset the TPS.
What I gather from Todds point about the effect of TPS values on ignition advance is that the ecu likely does not advance the ignition as the TPS value increases. Rather, it probably retards the ignition for higher TPS values and advances the ignition based on RPM. That is one of the benefits of electronic controls. In the old days you were lucky to have two aspects control the ignition curve, centrifugal (rpm) and throttle (vacuum). Now you can make it do what ever you want at what ever throttle position and rpm.

I should have been more clear.

Todd showed me once. We plugged into the vstd, and started the bike, in neutral. As throttle was applied, the engine sped up, under no load, and the value it showed for timing decreased.

Hence, Todd's comment about it retarding the ignition. That's what the VSTD shows but that just doesn't make any sense.

Fair enough. I did not realize you two had a whole 'nother side to this conversation. I think putting a bike on a dyno while hooked up might answer this question.

Back