• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission and or final drive

Phillip Reis

Just got it firing!
Griso my first Italian bike. What is the method for going through the gears without chinking or snicking the gears/final drive. Apologies if I am in the wrong forum. Thank you

Smoothest shifting comes from pre-loading the shifter and not fully squeezing in the clutch. Just unload the power train enough to make the next gear. Also don't be hesitant but firm in your shifting. Works for both up and down shifts.

Smoothest shifting comes from pre-loading the shifter and not fully squeezing in the clutch. Just unload the power train enough to make the next gear. Also don't be hesitant but firm in your shifting. Works for both up and down shifts.
Thanks very much for the reply. Sounds like I will need practice. It's a whole new world from all the Honda's and a regretful and very short interlude on a big twin. Lots to learn, thanks again,
Phil

The shifting on my Griso is amazing. Snicks into every gear with no issues or fighting, barely even makes a noise. My Triumph's, those things shift horribly!

The shifting on my Griso is amazing. Snicks into every gear with no issues or fighting, barely even makes a noise. My Triumph's, those things shift horribly!
I agree, the shifting on my Griso is very very smooth. The only issue was when it was brand new, it had a hard time shifting into first from neutral, sometimes took two or three tries. That went away after putting a few miles on it and its been great ever since. I've had 5 Triumphs since 04 and they were all pretty clunky except for the 2013 Trophy, it was very smooth and quiet.

I'm going to have to wangle a ride on a Griso one of these days. It's such an interesting looking bike! I only just saw one for the first time two weekends ago.

All my Guzzis from the beginning (850-T3, LeMans 1000 mk V, 850-T, and now V7III Racer) had gearboxes that would shift smooth as silk when I did it right and clank like trucks if I was being stupid and sloppy. The Racer's smaller, lighter flywheel and modern six-speed gear change is the easiest to do it right with, but It's a matter of degree more than difference. My muscle memory from the many thousands of miles on the LeMans and 850-T made getting into Racer's shifting rhythm quick and easy, even though it'd been a dozen years between when I sold them and bought Racer. Now, with 550 miles on the clock, it's shifting smooth as can be ... Unless I do something stupid. Then it clanks and tells me, "Hey, be a bit more careful, willya?"

Racer has smoothed out a bit as break-in has progressed, but I've never had any problems finding neutral or first gear even from the very start. Some other bikes I've own I couldn't say that about... and some never did become very smooth or quiet on the gear change no matter how many miles added up on the odometer.

Back