• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"Transmission" / CARC & Gearbox Oil Types?

pnguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just starting doing my own maintenance on the Stelvio:
can't seem to find a good thread on this topic..
First, clarification, Guzzi recommends the following:
AGIP Gear SAE 80w 90 for the transmission
AGIP Gear MG/S SAE 85w 90 for the gearbox

My assumption is - Transmission is the CARC and Gearbox is that thing right behind the engine?

My local shop in SF sells/recommends - Moto Guzzi "Final Drive Lube" SAE 80W90 (has Moly) for the CARC.
Gearbox the SF shop recommends - Redline 75W90 High Performance Gear Oil (fully synthetic).
Any input on its appropriateness of these?

Thanks in advance

It is generally accepted that ay high quality fully synthetic gear oil of anywhere between 75/90 will do the trick in either.

I've been using a Penrite 75/90 in everything I've owned for the last 75,000Km and none of my CARC beasts have gone 'Udders Skywards' yet. Really any high quality gear oil will be fine but I'd stick with the factory's recommendations as per the book simply because its easy, cheap insurance.

Given the battery fiasco I'd say attempting your own servicing won't do any harm. Todd has the electronic tooling stuff for your bike and as far as I know there are no map upgrades for post '08 Stelvios yet. As long as the TB's are ballanced you can probably just do tappets and oils and ride!!!

Pete

Pete! thanks again for all the good input!
It wouldn't be fair to say that I haven't "adjusted" things a bit+1 via Todd's fab electrics, however it is my first fluids change.. The Agip products are relatively hard to come by around here so the above seemed to be fair substitutions, based on your blessing and of course what the "Guzzi" dealer says :oops:
Yeps the battery thingy sucks, I still waiting for final explanation/answer from Piaggio "I won't go down" without a fight :twisted: Problem of course is: warranty is void if there has been "negligence" and there has been NONE, they probably don't see it that way :eek:

I was trying to get a feel for what the others in the Clan are using, and if any are using the Guzzi Final drive lube, seems that would be an obvious choice?

Peter

I have a preference for Castrol products, and use

Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 in the motor

Castrol 75W90 in both the gear box and the CARC

John B

Attachments

• Castrol Lube Reference Guide.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 170
I use Redline synthetic motor oils and the Shockproof in the rear drives and trannies on all my Guzzi's. I'm assuming the Redline will work in the Stelvio.

pnguzzi said:
Pete! thanks again for all the good input!
I was trying to get a feel for what the others in the Clan are using, and if any are using the Guzzi Final drive lube, seems that would be an obvious choice?

That Guzzi brand final lube was created for the old style final drives that called for lots of moly in the lube.
I don't believe it is a synthetic, which I believe the CARC calls for (which may mean nothing).
And moly, which is great stuff for sliding gear teeth, isn't so great for rolling bearing surfaces. (which may mean nothing).

I don't think I would be comfortable putting it in the CARC, which does not call for the moly. A couple of critical high load bearings in the CARC that the high concentration of moly may be unfriendly to. Or it may not care. But it is too easy to get the stuff that is called for.

:laugh: OK Full circle!
So draining the sticky grey Guzzi Moly lube! Havn't ridden so it should be fine.
Have found the Agip oil, has to be ordered by the case here in the US :dry: . So looks like I might have enough for a lifetime or two.... Or I'll look for a suitable substitute.
Looks like Pete recommends Penrite (even more difficult to get here in the states) and others Castrol.
Any other takes?

pnguzzi said:
:laugh: OK Full circle!
So draining the sticky grey Guzzi Moly lube! Havn't ridden so it should be fine.
Have found the Agip oil, has to be ordered by the case here in the US :dry: . So looks like I might have enough for a lifetime or two.... Or I'll look for a suitable substitute.
Looks like Pete recommends Penrite (even more difficult to get here in the states) and others Castrol.
Any other takes?

My '09 is a new bike, bought from a dealer, with a warranty, so the "What Oil" decision was very easy for me.

I bought 25,000 miles worth of the recommended AGIP engine, transmission, and CARC lubes, and UFI filters from the dealer when I took the bike home ....

For my two older Guzzis I use Shell Rotella dino oil in 5 gallon buckets. Given that my 25,000 miles a year riding will be split among those three bikes plus my Castrol-lubed BSAs, it should be a while before I have to worry about ordering more lubes ...

Lannis

Here in Guatemala I use the MOTUL 5100 15W50 oil on the motor. For the CARC and gear box I use the CASTROL HYPOY C GEAR OIL. No problem at all.

Wayne Orwig said:
That Guzzi brand final lube was created for the old style final drives that called for lots of moly in the lube. I don't believe it is a synthetic, which I believe the CARC calls for (which may mean nothing).
And moly, which is great stuff for sliding gear teeth, isn't so great for rolling bearing surfaces. (which may mean nothing).

I don't think I would be comfortable putting it in the CARC, which does not call for the moly. A couple of critical high load bearings in the CARC that the high concentration of moly may be unfriendly to. Or it may not care. But it is too easy to get the stuff that is called for.

OK!
so for the Gearbox it's gonna be Agip Rotra MP/S 85W-90.
Now - it seems like there is some confusion still about recommended product for the Rear Drive. It seems to hinge on the above comment regarding Molly content. The Agip folks recommend the Agip oil above for both Gearbox and Rear Drive!
I have also looked into Red Line Heavy Shockproof, this product relies on Molly though the tech at Red Line was working on convincing me that they use an "organic" molly that is not the same as what is most likely in the "old" Guzzi Rear drive oil. Infact he recommended using their Heavy Shockproof in both Gearbox and Rear Drive. The Redline product may just be a better product than the Agip? It would be nice to stick with the recommended while the bike is still under waranty ;)
So maybe I am beating a dead horse :woohoo:
Still think it's a worthy discussion. Would be nice to resolve the molly issue. Any input?

Don't put the moly in. I use a good quality synthetic gear oil in both the gearbox and CARC. My preference is Mobil 1 85W90, but any good quality synthetic will do. I'm not a fan of Redline after trying it in the wife's BMW R1150RS. Gooey beyond description and I don't think it lubricates any better than a good synthetic, in fact it was so thick it may not lubricate as well.

WitchCityBallabio said:
I use Redline synthetic motor oils and the Shockproof in the rear drives and trannies on all my Guzzi's. I'm assuming the Redline will work in the Stelvio.

Are you happy with shifting gears using the RedLine Shockproof gear lube? I was wondering if the Shockproof will not be too slippery for the proper gear synchronization when shifting...

Luma46 said:
WitchCityBallabio said:

Are you happy with shifting gears using the RedLine Shockproof gear lube? I was wondering if the Shockproof will not be too slippery for the proper gear synchronization when shifting...
I am with my Shockproof in both the CARC and gearbox (17,000 miles on it so far).

Back