• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission clatter

cyclobutch

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I suspect you may have heard me wingeing here before about the apparent transmission slack on my '06 G11 which makes smooth progress at lower speeds almost impossible.

Talking to the boys at Corsa it seems that the earlier models were particularly prone to this. They have in mind a bush kit which sounds like it presses into the front end of the torque arm for the CARC somewhere. I'm still waiting for them to price this mod and then hopefully get the bike booked in.

Does anyone else here have knowledge of this problem/fix?

I have an 07 Griso that I bought in June or July of 06 (first one in my state) and it has a lot of noise from the trans as well. It has quieted down some from breaking in (around 20K miles) and I put a RacerX pipe on it that covers up more of the noise. Funny thing though is that while it is noisey, it doesn't feel the way it sounds, meaning that while it sounds very herky jerky it doesn't feel abnormal for a shaft drive motorcycle. Shafties in general and Guzzi specifically need a bit of clutch to smooth out the driveline but it should not be so bad as to "makes smooth progress at lower speeds almost impossible.".
Have you ridden more then one other Griso to compare yours to?
There was a recall for the trans on the early bikes. Mine fit within the numbers but it seems that Guzzi USA is part of the recall. Atleast that is the response I got from my local dealer.

I bought a new 2007 Griso 2 months ago and I just brought it in because of a clank-type noise from the transmission. It's my first Guzzi so I am not sure if this is normal. I've done quite a bit of research and reading on this issue and most comments I've read seem to indicate that this is the way the transmission is. In any event, I thought it would be a good idea to have a mechanic take a look at it and to post it to see if you could help.

The symptoms are as follows:

1. With a cold engine it is virtually noiseless both with the clutch engaged or disengaged either in neutral or in gear.
2. With a hot engine it is noiseless as long as the bike is in gear and the clutch engaged.
3. With a hot engine and in neutral there is random clanking.
4. When killing the engine when hot and in neutral one can hear a distinctive clank (it's the last sound one hears).
5. Shifting gears is loud.
6. Otherwise the bike runs perfectly.

The one other thing I noticed today on my way to the dealer was a slight increase in RPM when bringing the bike to a stop with the clutch engaged and in 1st gear. After a couple of seconds the engine went back to just over 1000RPM but I cannot quite remember if it happened as a moved the clutch lever slightly out and in. If you have any ideas about what this might be please let me know.

There's one other question I wanted to ask. The rubber cap to the right of the transmission oil filler popped out while riding yesterday. One can see what looks like a gear through the opening and also another opening at the bottom of the box. Of course there is no fluid of any kind in it and I wonder if this is the way it is supposed to be.

I'll let you know when I hear from the service department in case any of you have experienced a similar problem with your bike and thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

ipo

Some of the early Nuovo six speeds had less than adequate packing in the driveline, face cam shock absorber. This sounds like your 'Clank' problem.

The bung that has fallen out is a blanking plug which allows one to see flywheel marks to identify TDC for maintenance work. The gear you see is the ring gear for the starter motor.

The idle speed problem can probably be fixed by re-setting the TPS as long as somebody hasn't tried to set the FI up like they used to set up carburetors.:blink:

To minimise transmission 'Clunk' try removing as much free play as possible from the throttle cables and ballance the TB's at 3,000RPM, prefferably under load on a dyno.

Pete

What happens if the rubber plug falls in?

I had that happen on my Le Mans Mk V.....my own fault for using a cheap universal bung that was a bit loose.
I left it in there & hoped it would drop to the bottom of the cases out of harms way.
All that happened was an occaisonal smell of burning rubber as it got chewed to oblivion.
Smell disappeared after a few hundred miles and any remains were still in there 25,000 miles later when I sold the bike.

That bush is Guzzi part number 883045 and cost £8.53 +VAT mid March.
Took all of 15 minutes to install. Tools required - large vice, and two appropriately sized sockets.
Now I know why Baldrick was asking me how to install one last week.:laugh:

Ashas been documented here before, removing as much slack as possible from the throttle cables will also make quite a difference.

The best response to the transmission clatter is from Geordie in the Griso Tech section under the heading Clutch Knocking Question. The last entry #13740 has a pdf attachment from Moto Guzzi with the fix for your dealer. It illustrates the procedure etc. It looks to be a simple washer that needs to be added but the transmission must come out to repair.

Cyclobutch, is your G1100 within the frame numbers ZGULS00096M112690 and **6M113440?
If so then you may have the part missing as in Pete's post above. It was considered a warrranty issue, so you have probably left it too late (certainly if my warranty experiences are anything to go by).
Out of warranty, it will really cost (at least £500 at Corsa's prices). Up to you if you think it worth while.

The bike does make some odd noises on a level throttle at around 30mph. Below these speeds I have to conduct a lot of clutch feathering to keep progress smooth(ish).

The first dealer I complained to whilst under warranty (and had it serviced there) they told me the G11s were all like that, I should have bought a G12. Nice. The second dealer I complained to, just inside warranty period, decided it wasn't right and and ordered some shims to put in the driveline. I spent most of last Summer riding a Speed Triple waiting for these parts to arrive. I think this might have been a recall notice. I can only report that this made no difference at all I'm afraid.

I had both places set up the TPS, or at least I told them too - again couldn't tell any difference. I've also adjusted ALL the slack out of the throttle cables.

Yes it was Baldrick who I was speaking to at Corsa - he has still to call me back. That's a hellish price for the bush kit. I'm not going to endure the bike as it is and at that price it could be a bridge too far. If this is the case you can look out for a yellow G11 on eBay next Spring - and that will be the last modern Guzzi I shall contemplate owning.

The bike is still only carrying a little over 3k miles. Anyone want to tell me this will improve with mileage?

cyclobutch wrote:
The bike is still only carrying a little over 3k miles. Anyone want to tell me this will improve with mileage?

I already mentioned that mine did quiet down with miles. But it sounds like you are not going to be able to live with it that long. Sorry to hear. Your bike isn't even broken in yet.

Just spoken to Baldric, it's a cheap part not the £800 ish that was mentioned previously. I'm now booked in for a few weeks time. Sounds like the main problem with this fitment is likely to be getting that old bush pressed out. I'll report back on findings after that - I'm out on mainland Europe just a couple of weeks later so should be able to put another 1 or 2k on it.

Tripleman, Geordie, and everyone thank you for your help and sending the Moto Guzzi bulletin on the gearbox noise. I just spoke with the service department who said exactly the same thing. Since the work to insert the 2 washers is quite involved he suggested to enjoy the bike for the summer and bring it in at the end of the season by September.

The noise doesn't really bother me but I did want to make sure that nothing mechanical was wrong and that it would be save to ride the bike. Thanks again.

ipo

Back