• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

transmission noise

PierrotM

Just got it firing!
Hi everybody,

My Norge 1200 8V makes a curious noise when it's on the neutral, when the clutch is released (= I don't touch the handle).
It makes "clac - clac - clac". My Guzzi's dealer says that it's normal when it gets 20.000 km, but I find that curious...
Is there anybody with the same "problem" and do you think it's really normal ?
If not, it's a very pleasant bike ! :D
Thanks for answer.
PierrotM

It sounds like the "normal" operation of a "dry" clutch, similar to Ducati if you've heard them. That said, I would get a second opinion if you can, from another shop or seasoned Guzzisti. Hope that helps.

If the throttle body balance is out or if somebody has tried to lower the idle speed by fiddling with the air bleeds or the throttle stop screw it will idle erratically and the noise you may be hearing is the gears and the input shaft and its companion knocking back and forth as they accelerate and decelerate between the uneven power strokes of the motor.

No, it shouldn't do it. I see you're in France which doesn't inspire me with confidence as it is one of the countries that sees continuing and repeated failures of the 8V motor which to me points to poor servicing and a general ignorance of the product being sold.

Pete

I assure you (and the others here can confirm) that while I ride, my diagnosing and wrenching skills are of the "none at all" sort.

With that confidence-inspiring disclaimer, let me ask Pete and others if it is not possible that the Norge is in some "false neutral" state? I seem to remember that my Norge had some a similar clattering once and you or someone said that it really wasn't in neutral, even tho the light showed.

Sorry if I am adding blabbering to the debate.

FWIW, my neutral light has started flickering, which means, I suppose, I need to clean some contact somewhere.

Best wishes on finding the answer, Pierrot.

Bill

I have never found a false neutral in my Norge gearbox. But I do get a heavy rattle when idling in neutral once warmed up. Throttle bodies are definitely blanced, and the idle speed has never been touched, 1100 steady.
Mine sounds as if there is one too few spacers on the input shaft. It was built in 06, and I remember some boxes, though I don't think it was the 6 speed ones, had this issue at that time.
The rattle goes away when the clutch is pulled in, and is replaced by the lighter tinkling of the clutch plates.

the same as Brian, on my bike and in another colleague 8V too, and for me it isnt normal. The noise started just when the repair of the flange of the clutch, with 19,000 kms. . The problem is that they are more than 11 hours of workshop to open and see what happens in gearbox...

Brian UK said:
I have never found a false neutral in my Norge gearbox. But I do get a heavy rattle when idling in neutral once warmed up. Throttle bodies are definitely blanced, and the idle speed has never been touched, 1100 steady.
Mine sounds as if there is one too few spacers on the input shaft. It was built in 06, and I remember some boxes, though I don't think it was the 6 speed ones, had this issue at that time.
The rattle goes away when the clutch is pulled in, and is replaced by the lighter tinkling of the clutch plates.

There was a technical bulletin released for this in 2006 (#11). It covers these models:-

Breva 1100 ABS
From frame no. ZGULPA0026M111355to no. ZGULPA0006M111693
Breva 1100
From frame no. ZGULP00076M114085to no. ZGULP00076M114231
Breva 850
From frame no. ZGULPB00X6M111111 to no. ZGULPB00X6M111397
Griso 1100
From frame no. ZGULS00096M112690 to no. ZGULS00096M113440
Griso 850
From frame no. ZGULSB0016M111111to no. ZGULSB0096M111454
Norge 1200
From frame no. ZGULPH0056M111111to no. ZGULPH0026M111194

It says to reduce this noise it is necessary to install two shaped washers (part no. 95129340) to the clutch shaft, on the ones already present in the assembly. The code for the warranty claim was: AG 259 IA.

Wouldn't apply to the 8V version, but might to yours, Brian.

Wish I had seen that when it was in warranty Dave, the ones I saw did not mention the Norge.
But then the ones about the CARC large bearing didn't either, and mine had a bad one. Took one hell of a fight to get that done.

pete roper said:
If the throttle body balance is out or if somebody has tried to lower the idle speed by fiddling with the air bleeds or the throttle stop screw it will idle erratically and the noise you may be hearing is the gears and the input shaft and its companion knocking back and forth as they accelerate and decelerate between the uneven power strokes of the motor.

No, it shouldn't do it. I see you're in France which doesn't inspire me with confidence as it is one of the countries that sees continuing and repeated failures of the 8V motor which to me points to poor servicing and a general ignorance of the product being sold.

Pete

Thanks to you for your answer, and also to other contributors. When I read all the answers, I think that it's certainly a normal noise, and I also think that my dealer is honest, but I'll ask another one too :twisted:
I'll let you know the news.

PierrotM

Back