• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission numbers.

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I recently acquired what I think is a 850 T 3 transmission, the person I got it from did not know. The numbers on the side of the transmission are T 54938 my 75 850T numbers are T17029. How do I find out what year it is ? Is there a place that list transmission numbers so that I can determine what year or model it came from? The vent is in the rear cover where as my 1975 850 T has the vent on the side of the main case of the transmission . I wonder if the gear ratios would be the same as my 850 T, if so could I swap parts in the future if I need to ? Would it be possible to swap the complete transmission internals into my 850 T case ? If I did swap out the internals into my 850 T case would I have to re shim the selector drum ?

Don't know where you might find the info, maybe on Benders site. I did go look at the numbers on my 84 LM3 and they are T80569. My vent is in back cover coming out on angle from above shifter shaft in front of batt plate.
If you swap out shafts you should replace the bearings while apart, and reshim as needed not just shifter drum. All shafts should be checked for play. Would be nice in a perfect world but you only want to open it up once. Use deep spline input hub on it also. Check shaft & parts #'s on all to make sure it works. Myself, I have not swapped from old box to newer guts.

There should be no need to swap internals if the speedometer drive is in the same location. The gear case is the same on all 5 speeds, with the differences being in the rear cover. The loop frame Eldorado 5 speed location is different as well as some venting changes. The T-3 gearbox also vents via the shift drum detente spring assembly.

So my extra gearbox is not from a T3 since the vent is in the rear cover.

So my extra gearbox is not from a T3 since the vent is in the rear cover.
That shouldn't be an issue. It is a better venting system so just add a hose to it up by the frame. The older ones that vented by the detente spring sometimes thick oil would block the vent causing excess pressure in the gearbox. Using synthetic oil solved that issue.

There is no list of transmission numbers that I'm aware of.

Gear ratios will be the same. There have been numerous changes made to the 5 spd. since it's introduction to address issues. Transmission internals can be swapped - I'm putting '02 Stone internals into a '78 Le Mans case now.

Last edited:
Transmission internals can be swapped - I'm putting '01 Stone internals into a '78 Le Mans case now.
‘01 would make it a Jackal. Stone was in 02, when Guzzi made some revisions for “better shifting.”
I lived those years, though I never knew what they did. I’ll try to find out unless you know(?).

Thanks everyone for the information, I'm curious as to what I have in terms of how old it is and what model it came from. It seems now from what you guys said there were numerous changes made through the years. I purchased the transmission just in case I need a back up down the road. 100 0005 100 0006 100 0007

Looks like a good gearbox. Before use I would replace the input and output bearings with steel cage bearings and every seal and o-ring. It appears to have the new style hub gear, but I would use a new hub gear and new clutch plates.

Looks like a good gearbox. Before use I would replace the input and output bearings with steel cage bearings and every seal and o-ring. It appears to have the new style hub gear, but I would use a new hub gear and new clutch plates.
Depending on it's age, it might already have the steel cage bearings. That's the 2mm splined hub, not the 4 mm splined hub.

Guzzi moved the vent to the rear cover as early as '82 on the California II.

Curiosity got the best of me today so I disassembled the transmission and here is what I found.
All the bearings appear to have metal cages and gears look to have very little wear. Some very light rust but most of what looks like rust is the old gear lube. Output shaft 2 Output splines Input shaft Cover Shaft Inside of case

Now just update to the new hub gear style and plate. Did you check the position of 5th gear through the oil fill hole? The shift collar center should be in the center of that hole. Adjustment is made by shimming the shift drum. If not, be sure to place the shift drum shims in the order you found them.

Did not check the position of 5th gear but made sure of the placement of the shims. The bolts that secure the locking plate use schnor lock washers. Are they reusable ? Lock washer

Last edited:
Back