• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Transmission oil

But Redline Shockproof Heavy is arguably a better oil then what came stock in your Guzzi and should result in LESS wear for your trans. In my experience it is an upgrade from stock that has been known to result in smoother shifting and quieter running. The one down side is that some people have had seals leak after switching to it but this was usually in older boxes and may have something to do with old seals not liking new oil.
Myself and others run it in the trans and/or the rear drive box. No failures I am aware of from running this gear oil. It works well in situations where the lubrication is wet sump/splash, it is not recommended for situations that rely on an oil pump. You also would not want to use it with a wet clutch.
If you do not want to run it in yours, don't.

Oh, and if I am not mistaken the throw out bearing for the clutch is in the transmission by the clutch slave cylinder. If it is rattling it is lubricated by the trans oil.

GuzziMoto, thanks for the info on the RedLine Shockproof. I'm currently using the Red Line 75W90 . Checked out the test data on the website and the Shock Proof is a little bit better in wear prevention and friction reduction than the 75w90RL. The description kinda reminded me of 3DO body armor or flower and water; resists impact but flows when no or minimal pressure is applied.

The only issue/complaint I have ever had with it is when servicing the transmission/bevel drive. The stuff is bloody messy. It coats everything with strawberry smoothie. Yuck.

GuzziMoto said:
But Redline Shockproof Heavy is arguably a better oil then what came stock in your Guzzi
Based on recommendations here, I put this 'pepto bismol' Redline in both my gearbox and final drive many thousands of miles ago . . . excellent stuff.

Well, let's say it as it is - Stelvio's transmission is noisy, I would call it "whiny". I have tried 75W-90, 75W-140 and even the RedLine Shock proof heavy, which claims to have fluid friction of 75W90, yet the film thickness of 75W250. The later might have done a bit difference in noise, but not much, especially when engine is hot.
I think I read somewhere (but might be mistaken) that the first four gears are straight cut and 5th and 6th are helical and more quieter gears. In any case, the tranny noise has been a major irritant for me. And I am sure, nobody on this forum would want me start comparing to 12GS... :)

I really can't believe this trans noise is a real issue its a motor cycle trans there noisey but not so much that I can hear it inside a helmet with ear plugs in and if your not wearing ear plugs I'm surprised you can hear anything at all and as for slicker shifting mine clicks in and out of gear like no other bike I've ridden. Heavier oil more drag loss of performance, drop in fuel consumption and increased emissions its difficult to fix something that isn't broken?

GuzziMoto said:
The only issue/complaint I have ever had with it is when servicing the transmission/bevel drive. The stuff is bloody messy. It coats everything with strawberry smoothie. Yuck.

Mystery solved! I took apart a 5 spd with this red slime in it. I was told it was redline but the reline I bought didn't look like it so I thought the info was wrong. The trans had 3 gears with damaged dogs cause by a damaged racing clutch. So it never went back together. It took over a year for the oil on the case side wall to run to the bottom.

Luma46 said:
Well, let's say it as it is - Stelvio's transmission is noisy, I would call it "whiny". I have tried 75W-90, 75W-140 and even the RedLine Shock proof heavy, which claims to have fluid friction of 75W90, yet the film thickness of 75W250. The later might have done a bit difference in noise, but not much, especially when engine is hot.

Not sure that your hearing the trans. Try getting together with other Stelvio owners to compare just in case there's something wrong.

I've driven my buddy's 1200RT. It drove me nuts cause of the "whiney" engine or what ever sound. It has stock exhaust and my B11 doesn't so they may make the same engine sounds and I just can't hear it. When I ride my buddy's Stelvio I hear what I thing is valve train noise not heard on the B11.

Back