• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Trimming OEM Fenders

trialsn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So before I decided I would play around with the stock rear and front fenders prior to ordering a fender eliminator kit and a reduced front fender. Has anyone done this before on the V7 Special?

My plan would consist of taping the area that I would be cutting to reduce peeling or nicks, and use a contrasting tape to create the desired shape. I would then use a dremmel with a fine tooth blade to cut through the fenders. Finish things off with a high grit sand paper to smoothen everything out.

Have I overlooked anything? Anything I should be aware of?

Good call on the speed setting. Lastly thing I want to do is melt the plastic. This seems like it would be a neat little project to be honest.

it's definitely a neat project. I intend to do the same on my stone. right now im good with running without the front fender. but want a lil somethin there for when the cali storms roll through.

So before I decided I would play around with the stock rear and front fenders prior to ordering a fender eliminator kit and a reduced front fender. Has anyone done this before on the V7 Special?

My plan would consist of taping the area that I would be cutting to reduce peeling or nicks, and use a contrasting tape to create the desired shape. I would then use a dremmel with a fine tooth blade to cut through the fenders. Finish things off with a high grit sand paper to smoothen everything out.

Have I overlooked anything? Anything I should be aware of?

If I can't find cheap replacement fenders for my V7 I will be doing just this! Just be mindful that the rear fender has a rather large ribbing/brace apparatus behind it so you'll need to cut that as well. I've seen it done before and you're lucky you've got a black fender! the plastic underneath the paint is also black which makes it easier to smooth and blend in, unlike my bright orange/red fender that is now going to have a black rim around the edge...

Did my own cutting to the rear fender making it shorter and taking the spacers out of the indicators. Moved the rear light cluster up so the back end now looks much neater and more modern. Took a few hours. The ribbing in the under fender is tough and awkward so take your time. Some of it needed grinding for new cable position and fasteners on the back of the light. Will take pictures.

IMG_1237-1web.jpg

Small angle grinder to cut the fender to basic shape then a sanding disk in the grinder to form the shape and finish. I used a dremel type tool for grinding the honeycombed bits. I tried to follow the shape of the original as I am not keen on the chopped off look. I seem to remember that drilling the holes correctly for the light cluster was a bit of a pain to get it all level.

Here's what I did on mine...what's up Andy! (TonUpRacer) I need your thoughts here my man!

Attachments

• IMAG0635~4.jpg
    IMAG0635~4.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0634~2.jpg
    IMAG0634~2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0636~2.jpg
    IMAG0636~2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0638~4.jpg
    IMAG0638~4.jpg