• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Triple clamp and front shocks

Troy Norton

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I have a 1980 1000SP I'm modifying for a cafe racer project. I'd like to change the complete front end from the triple clamps forward. Anyone recommend a relatively easy conversion? I have a access to decent machine shops and fabrication shops.

Hi Troy,

I often see project where they swap the fronts ends for some other bike and wonder
- how common is the headset / bearings / length of those parts, can it be that simple ?
Or are they cutting off the headstock and welding the one that goes with the New forks onto the bike...

You'll be playing with numbers of triple clamp offset, front wheel diameter(18 or 17 inch) and the resulting trail if you want to have a bike that steers like the original. I once had the original 'short' triple tube pressed into a triple clamp of a LM4 that have the 40mm legs. This was by far the easiest mod. Also because the offset didn't change so there is no interference with the tank. If you have the possibility of boring the triple to 41 mm, you can mount more modern fork legs although they are generally on the short side. Depending on your choices you might need an axle, spacers and caliper adapters.
I also once had the bottom of the tube of a GSXR USD triple set turned down 1mm for a bearing of a Kawasaki that had the correct 52mm outer diameter. Also an easy fix but the tube is too long so a spacer at the top is necessary, plus the offset is a lot less (30mm instead of 65mm) so you'll have interference with the tank and a huge trail which makes the bike want to go straight, even with a 17 inch front wheel. There is no easy fix really, other than perhaps having custom triples machined with 65mm offset and a top clamp that has a drop to account for the shorter modern fork legs.

You'll be playing with numbers of triple clamp offset, front wheel diameter(18 or 17 inch) and the resulting trail if you want to have a bike that steers like the original. I once had the original 'short' triple tube pressed into a triple clamp of a LM4 that have the 40mm legs. This was by far the easiest mod. Also because the offset didn't change so there is no interference with the tank. If you have the possibility of boring the triple to 41 mm, you can mount more modern fork legs although they are generally on the short side. Depending on your choices you might need an axle, spacers and caliper adapters.
I also once had the bottom of the tube of a GSXR USD triple set turned down 1mm for a bearing of a Kawasaki that had the correct 52mm outer diameter. Also an easy fix but the tube is too long so a spacer at the top is necessary, plus the offset is a lot less (30mm instead of 65mm) so you'll have interference with the tank and a huge trail which makes the bike want to go straight, even with a 17 inch front wheel. There is no easy fix really, other than perhaps
I also once had the bottom of the tube of a GSXR USD triple set turned down 1mm for a bearing of a Kawasaki that had the correct 52mm outer diameter. Also an easy fix but the tube is too long so a spacer at the top is necessary, plus the offset is a lot less (30mm instead of 65mm) so you'll have interference with the tank and a huge trail which makes the bike want to go straight, even with a 17 inch front wheel. There is no easy fix really, other than perhaps having custom triples machined with 65mm offset and a top clamp that has a drop to account for the shorter modern fork legs.

having custom triples machined with 65mm offset and a top clamp that has a drop to account for the shorter modern fork legs.

Hi JR,

Its often the simple solutions that work best and for some reason I over complicated it thinking I had to toss the triple clamps. The ultimate goal by the way was to replace the front tubes, legs and brakes as I'm not a fan of the linked braking and I feel that a definite improvement can be had here by a little "modernising". I think I'll be a lot more "free" in replacing the tubes and legs now. Just need to get the length similar. Or can have modified locally.

Cheers buddy

Troy

I fitted Showa cartridges into my LM2 oem forks from an RC6 (VFR750); with a decent fork brace they've transformed the front end and now has pre load adjustment.
With re oiled Konis fitted with softer springs and wearing Conti radial rubber the bike handles far better than stock.
I also de linked the brakes and went with stainless discs and carbon ceramic pads, braking now is again, far superior to standard.

What did it take to fit the cartridges in the fork legs?
The Showas piston rods need shortening and a new thread cutting to fit the fork cap.
The Showa fork cap needs machining to the correct diameter and the oem fork stanchion thread cutting into them.
The Showa is secured to the slider with a 6mm bolt; the Guzzi's is 8mm, so the bolt hole in the bottom of the slider needs bushing.
The LM2 oem forks have 2 springs, one short, one long. The Spada may have the same forks as these were modded to take the extra weight of the heavy fairing. The Showa cartridge is longer than the stock damper and I ditched the shorter spring. The longer spring is just about the right length although I've fitted a spacer to slightly pre load the spring. I also checked the spring rating on a set of scales and found them to be 1kg/cm (from what I can remember) which has turned out to work very well. I replaced the oem LM2 fairing with a re worked light weight replica as the oem fairing is ridiculously heavy.
I've found 5w fork oil to work well and have just adjusted the air gap to tune them.

Last edited:
Back