• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

two questions

vivo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hey...

At idle my Griso engine, 1100, has a distinct knocking sound that either has gotten rather loud or I've forgotten how much noise the engine made when I first got it? The noise seems to be from the center of the engine not the valve area and it goes away went the clutch is pulled in... Usually it's not noticeable while riding but I gotta say this is one noisy engine when it's at idle... it's normal right?

The second question has to do with a smell...like oily something venting to the atmosphere and a long hose that was left undone when I had the clutch replaced... The hose is now tucked into my rear passenger peg so it's quite long, been that way for many months. The smell, like open breather, oily, has been there since the clutch was replaced but not before...

Any ideas? Don't want to have to take it in for something small...I would rather correct it myself but I don't have a manual to know where the hose goes... :blush:

vivo

Hi

My 1100 Breva has always had a distinct clatter/rattle at idle in neutral with the clutch engaged... been like this since new and clears up when the clutch is disengaged.

I was told there was an approved optional Guzzi fix (shim) available under warranty "if it troubled me" when i enquired at the first service. I decided I'd rather live with it as long as it didnt get worse (it hasn't) than start getting the engine pulled out to get at the gearbox if it wasnt absolutely necessary and having the bike of the road for god know how long. Never had any other reason to go into the gearbox so never had it done.

Usual problem of distance diagnosis when one man clatters is another mans knock so may be completely different to my noise.

Art

I think the problem that Art mentions probably isn't the issue. Not saying for sure but the boxes that had the lax spring problem made a noise like two rusty iron bedsteads fornicating in a tumble-drier! Until I heard on I thought the complaining was overkill but its not! It truly is outrageously dreadful!!!!

You will get a knocking if the TB's are out of ballance or the idle is too low. It's due to the uneven firing intervals of the 90*V with shared crank-pin architecture of the motor setting up a rocking couple in the driveline.

Re-ballance the TB's, re-set the TPS and ensure that everything is tuned PROPERLY. Then if it continues? dig further.

Pete

pete roper said:
I think the problem that Art mentions probably isn't the issue. Not saying for sure but the boxes that had the lax spring problem made a noise like two rusty iron bedsteads fornicating in a tumble-drier! Until I heard on I thought the complaining was overkill but its not! It truly is outrageously dreadful!!!!

Pete

Pete

Brilliant description of my problem . . I've been working on the principle that it is not causing potential long term problems , especially as de-clutching gets rid.

Art

pete roper said:
Lets just be sure on this.

Are you saying it is noisy when you pull the lever back to the bar or when the lever is released?

Pete

Its noisy when the lever is released in neutral - sitting in neutral with the lever pulled back clears the clatter

Art

Hey there Pete...

My bike does sound like a knock, not metallic or rattle. It sounds this way at idle. I am off the bike and fifteen feet away and I can hear it as well as the exhaust. But when I pull in the clutch lever the sound stops! All I hear when I have the clutch lever pulled is the ching, ching of the dry clutch. If I release the lever the ching stops and the knocking starts. I don't notice this when riding, maybe cause it's in gear?

My idle is perfect and funny but I don't notice my stepper ever anymore. The idle never varies, even at start up... Maybe it's disconnected...duhhh

Other than the noise it runs fine.... the clutch has been replaced 4000 miles ago...was that screach issue and it's now perfect.

I was wondering if my bike is really noisey or are they just that way???

Since the knock goes away with the clutch lever pulled in... the bike does not have to be in gear... can it be the throttle bodies out of balance? Not disputing...just wondering...

vivo

Back