• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Unhappy relationship - Sidestand/Centerstand

Alan L in BC

Tuned and Synch'ed
The first pic is the label on the centerstand kit - 983164, called "Center Stand V7" on the packing slip.

The second pic is the stand on the bike, happily bumping up to the rubber stopper and fitting perfectly around the muffler.

Third and forth- the sidestand up - clanks against the centerstand; the part that hits is actually the foot of the sidestand.
There is no extra clearance between the stand and the muffler.
I don't mind having to lower the prop stand to use the centerstand, I just don't think that the sidestand should clank against the centerstand, while not fully retracting out of the way anyway.

Obviously in this case the sidestand must be down to use the centerstand.

Wrong stand? Wrong kit? I can't figure it out.
Alan L.

"That unfortunity how it is on the V7C."

Not so, there are plenty of V7C owners who don't have a problem using both the side and centre stands. I have both and have never had any problems using the MG parts fitted at the time of purchase. Take a look at the thread from spadefoot, Center Stand vs. Side stand. However, as some owners have had the same problem as you, this would best raised with MG and/or the manufacturers of the after market parts. After all, if parts are being sold and supplied as suitable for use on your bike they should work properly.

Paxo said:
"That unfortunity how it is on the V7C."

Not so, there are plenty of V7C owners who don't have a problem using both the side and centre stands. I have both and have never had any problems using the MG parts fitted at the time of purchase. Take a look at the thread from spadefoot, Center Stand vs. Side stand. However, as some owners have had the same problem as you, this would best raised with MG and/or the manufacturers of the after market parts. After all, if parts are being sold and supplied as suitable for use on your bike they should work properly.

Paxo are you located in Europe ? There is a difference in the side stands between versions supplied in North America and the Euro market. Some silly DOT regulation about lean angle I think, I tried getting the Euro version but could not and have learned to live with the situation.

Allan

Cut off some of the bumper stop, that will help a lot. it unscrews from the stand but may have some loctite on the screw.With it off see how far /much you can cutoff without any interference with suspension and tire issues.

Hi Dan

The same idea that it might be a local difference occurred to me. I am in Europe and I wonder if it's possible to do a survey of this group to identify the main problem areas? Perhaps it's only a North American problem and if so there might be an opening for someone to modify the centre stands to fit better. If it's only a matter of the prop stand lean angle that's not rocket science and could easily be sorted out with a bit of heat and a large hammer!

There is no extra clearance between the centerstand "lever" part and the muffler. If I trim away any of the rubber stopper, the centerstand lever would hit the muffler because it would be higher. In the kit, the rubber bit was loose and I threaded it into the stand myself.

Does anyone have a set of stands fitted which does not find the propstand overlapping the centerstand?

Alan

Hi Alan

Your pics made the problem clearer so I've done a bit of checking on my UK stand set up and found the following. Hope you can see from the pic, not very good but the bike was leaning against a drain pipe! As you may be able to see the side stand foot is short of the main stand operating arm by at least 25mm. Side stand length from the pivot approx. 210mm, main stand height approx. 270mm. Is there any difference to your setup there? Hope you find an answer.

Attachments

• stand 2.jpg
    stand 2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,906
From the photographs, it appears the US side stand is longer. That is why there isn't an issue in the UK/Europe.

This is part of my issue;

I would be happy to alter the propstand, but the bike already heels so far over to port that it looks ready to tip over. This is partly why I thought that the centerstand would be such a good idea in the first place. When I use the sidestand on a level, firm surface I put a block of 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 lumber under the foot to keep the machine more upright. I guess the European stands are quite different - steeper angle so not needed so long?

I have good access to mig-tig welding/cutting/powdercoating equipment - I would lengthen the sidestand to improve it if alterations are happening.

Has anyone on the board from North America, besides me, installed this exact, part-numbered stand kit?

thanks for the replies,

Alan

I installed the factory centerstand on my V7 Cafe and had the same interference. The V7 Cafe uses the same centerstand as the V7C, but the replacement exhaust hanger (the chrome piece to which the rubber bumper contacts when the centerstand is retracted) is a slightly different dimension to account for the high-swept exhaust pipes. Anyway, I no longer have the bike, but I recall that if I retracted the sidestand first, and then retracted the centerstand, there were no problems. Not to sound obvious, but I suggest you try retracting the sidestand before retracting the centerstand.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 614
Hi Alan

Not trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs, but wouldn't making the side stand longer make the problem even worse? I would have thought shortening it and reducing the lean angle would have solved both the conflicting stands and your concern about the amount of lean when the bike is on its side stand. If you had someone hold the bike and lean it to a parked angle you're happy with, all you'd then have to do is measure that for angle and length from the pivot point then adapt your side stand to suit. Just my two pence worth.

LongRanger said:
I installed the factory centerstand on my V7 Cafe and had the same interference. The V7 Cafe uses the same centerstand as the V7C, but the replacement exhaust hanger (the chrome piece to which the rubber bumper contacts when the centerstand is retracted) is a slightly different dimension to account for the high-swept exhaust pipes. Anyway, I no longer have the bike, but I recall that if I retracted the sidestand first, and then retracted the centerstand, there were no problems. Not to sound obvious, but I suggest you try retracting the sidestand before retracting the centerstand.

Longranger, on my V7 Classic, the interference is such that the sidestand must be put down first, and retracted last. The sidestand can be put up in between, if your in the shop working on the bike.

The interference is small, so perhaps someone with an appropriate power tool could cut off some metal, but I've got projects ahead of this idea. I'd like to hear from someone who's tackled it.

Joe

[quote
The interference is small, so perhaps someone with an appropriate power tool could cut off some metal, but I've got projects ahead of this idea. I'd like to hear from someone who's tackled it.[/quote]

Are you thinking that I would cut out a "divot" from the sidestand tube to accomodate the centerstand? I would have to see how much further the sidestand needs to retract to hit the stop, and then check to see how much material would need to be removed and how much would be left. Hmmmm.

If I cut the sidestand shorter, the bike would topple over.

If I cut the sidestand shorter, the bike would topple over.[/quote]

Perhaps this drawing will make my suggestion a bit clearer. The fact that my prop stand appears to be shorter than yours and works as intended may be a clue. BTW cutting bits out of the stand may not be the best idea you've had. Good luck anyway.

Attachments

• Stand angles.jpg
    Stand angles.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 568
The last word - here is the facts, m'am, right from the mouth of the horse (or goose): cut and pasted from my email rec'd today...

Thank you for contacting Piaggio Group Americas, Inc.

We are sorry to hear about this inconvenient situation.

It turns out that if you use the US central stand 983164 coupled with the US side stand 883471 it does not work along very well.

The US/CAN central stand 983164 is not made to be used with a side stand together.

To be able to us both it would be better to use a Euro specs side stand B063086. You would have to order it online.

We apologize for the situation.

Best Regards,

Thierry Customercare

Alan, very interesting. The US DOT specifies the lean angle cycles must have ("we are here to protect you") and this must require a different side stand with a problem length.

Back