• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Upgrade to NTX starter circuit

pyoungbl

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Every modern motorcycle I have owned came with wiring that was too small, particularly the connection from battery to ground and battery to starter. Upgrading these two wires helps the starter spin the engine faster, leading to quicker starts. In addition, the Stelvio ground connection is a 26" long wire that attaches to a 6mm bolt which is doing double duty as a stud to secure the starter cover.

The easy part of this upgrade is getting the correct wiring from http://www.motolectric.com. Michael Heath made up the wires to my specs. I believe he is using welding cable. It's very flexible and easy to work with.
IMG_0367-M.jpg

The new ground wire is both thicker and shorter than OEM.
IMG_0366-M.jpg
Here you can see where the ground lead comes down from the battery and attaches to a bolt located below the starter...the starter is removed for this photo but you get the idea.
I moved the engine ground from under the starter to the right side of the engine, where the transmission bolts to the block.
IMG_0372-M.jpg

For the + cable it's a bit more interesting. It is best to remove the starter from the bike, just two 13mm bolts, but it's a tight fit due to the starter wires being so close to the frame.

I had planned to route the starter wire so it came to the starter from below where I thought I'd have more clearance from the frame. That did not work well because the change put the wire in the way of the shift linkage. Another good idea goes in the trash can! The OEM harness has the starter wire crimped to the battery terminal along with a bunch of other wires. The best solution is to cut the starter wire close to that terminal and then insulate the exposed lead.
IMG_0374-M.jpg

The new + wire is then routed from the starter up to the battery. It took a couple tries to get the starter connection so it was well clear of the frame but the end result worked well. I had asked Michael to lengthen the + lead but in hindsight it could be about 2" shorter than what I ordered.
IMG_0298-M.jpg

This looks like a tighter fit than it actually is. I think I have about 1/4" clearance between the crash bar and the starter lug, still pretty close but nothing rubbing.

While doing this upgrade I also moved another ground lead from above the starter to one of the starter bolts.
IMG_0296-M.jpg
This is an easy improvement and should provide a much better ground path. All I had to do was move the wire, no cutting/splicing involved.

Did I notice a huge change? Nope. The bike seems to start a bit quicker. We all know how a loose ground can cause a multitude of problems with these bikes and I expect to avoid that gremlin.

Are you fixing something here?

This will raise the starter peak inrush currents, putting more stress on the battery. I have had Guzzi starters pop welds inside the battery, so I don't want to stress the battery more.

Wayne, I'm fixing a few problems all at once. The OEM positive lead from battery to starter was chafing on the crash bar bracket. This had already eaten through the protective boot at the starter stud. The problem was noted in a recent notice to dealers. Next, the ground below the starter has the potential for corrosion and you can't torque it down much because it's only secured by a 6mm bolt. A MG certified mechanic said that when was in CA for training this was mentioned. I moved that ground to a higher and slightly more protected spot where it is now attached to a 10mm stud and I can easily check to make sure it is clean and secure. Finally, I have had problems in the past (on other bikes) where the starter was trying to draw more current than the wiring would support, leading to slow cranking and finally damage to the starter.

Your concern about damage to the battery is a new issue for me, never heard of it happening but lots of things get past me. I'd expect the battery problem to be present when one has lots of power hogs running at the same time and for a long time so heat could build up. Riding two up with both people running heated liners and gloves, along with aux lights, heated grips, and who knows whatall comes to mind. Cranking the bike for 2-3 seconds...I'm not so sure.

I guess I'll be able to make a more informed reflection in about 10 years or so when I count the number of batteries I have killed or the number of times I have been stuck on the side of the road due to an electrical problem.

Back