• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 for shorter rider? might be interested...

lucydad

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All,

My local dealer (Motoplex West Chester, PA) has some V100s on the floor. I have drooled over them a bit. Anyway, I am five foot five, with a 29 inch inseam. Bike seat height and width are a big deal for me. I am also 69 years old and ride a V7 III Special.

I just had my new Aprilia Tuono 660 suspension lowered using a AF1 spring compression kit and lower front forks. The difference is amazing! I am all about safety and comfort. Local PA roads feature lots of hills, turns, potholes and bad intersections.

So the question: are there any shorter riders with a V100 willing to give any comments or advice? Is the bike suitable for older Hobbits?

Grazie

lucydad - I don’t know if any comments I might have would be helpful, but… I am the same age as you, and consider myself short at 5’8”… that said, I do have a V100S, and have about 1000 miles on it. My inseam is 30”, and I’ve always had “concerns” with taller seat heights (BMW, etc) which I have to tippy toe, or lean to one side ala a dirt bike. The V100 is not bad, for me. I may at some point opt for the lower seat option (which is also heated, if a Guzzi accessory). But, unless I’m on gravel, I don’t really give it much thought. I can’t “flat foot it,” but, both feet are on the ground. I actually do think short legs may be a plus on this bike. When seated, our knees are further back from the cylinders. I’ve seen vids where our 6’2” buddies don’t like their knees right by the cylinders (radiant heat/room). Give it a test ride - see what ya think! 👍

I'm 58 and on a good day come in at 5' 8" with an inseam of 30". The V100 fits me better than many of the bikes I've owned over the last 20 years. While I am not flat footed, it's pretty close when I'm stopped. When riding the fit is perfect for my size and height.

As @BDS suggested, you should go test ride one to see what you think. The one thing I saw in many of the YouTube videos I watched on the V100, riders over 6' are had an issue with the cockpit being too small for them.

BDS and Halen,

Much thanks! Ok. After life calms a bit, I will ask for a test ride. This dealer knows me pretty well. I am encouraged.
Is there a another naked version bike coming out with the V100 engine?

Is there an another naked version bike coming out with the V100 engine?
The Stelvio seems the most likely “next V100 platform,” but, being an adventure-ish bike, probably too tall (for me, anyway😉). It’s a great engine, I’m sure MG will want to utilize it😁.

I bought my V100S from Motoplex is Westchester and they have a nice selection of bikes. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and also purchased the tall seat. I can flat foot the bike easily with the standard seat and mostly flat foot it with the tall seat. My buddy is 5'6" tall with about a 28" inseam and he tried the Guzzi with the standard seat on it without any issues. He was comfortable and able to get to the balls of his feet easily or flat foot at least one side. They also make a low heated seat for a great price and I think if you get that one, you should be just fine.
If you ask Jeremy or one of the guys there to order the low seat for you, they will let you try it on the bike in the parking lot before committing to purchase, that should ensure that you are comfortable with the seat and bike before purchase. Hope this helps!

Mark

I’m almost 5’9” on a very good day and I have owned and ridden a Stelvio NTX since new in 2012. I’ve never had an issue with the height of the bike and just realize that I can only lean to one side at a stoplight. I cannot put both feet flat on the ground.

This being said, I am waiting to see the new Stelvio with the V100 engine. I will probably buy one of these when it finally comes out.

I have a 31" inseam and cannot quite flatfoot. That being said the bike feels very light, and it doesn't bother me at all. Frankly the bike feels much lighter to me than 514 lbs. The weight must be carried very low. Meanwhile I actually can flatfoot my lowered R1250GS, but it feels substantially heavier than the Guzzi.

…Frankly the bike feels much lighter to me than 514 lbs. The weight must be carried very low. Meanwhile I actually can flatfoot my lowered R1250GS, but it feels substantially heavier than the Guzzi.
I agree… the V100 feels lighter than its weight. My ‘15 Norge always felt top heavy - especially with a full tank. I did a nice first ride on the Mandello today, …after the first service. Pushed it a bit more in the curves… felt pretty good - still tinkering with suspension settings, getting close😁. Got caught in my first rain, too🌧️. I may be imagining things, but the wings seemed to help👍.

I too am verticaly challenged with a 29" inseam, so I just installed a factory supposedly "low comfort seat" (checked part numbers ls twice) and found NO noticeable height difference at all.
It is very nice and squishy but provides no advatage to height, and is not as warm as I would have thought but it's 90deg right now in SoCal so perhaps ambient temp is impacting that.

I think the “low” seat only drops it by 15mm… that may be hard to discern. I’d think short leggers (of which I am one) would benefit from a slightly more narrow seat as well (though the Mandello seat is fairly narrow as is). I have a 30” inseam, and standard seat… and have to lean a little left or right at stops - can’t flat foot, but, not a tippy toe situation, either😂. The (standard) seat is fine while riding IMO.

I am not short, 6' with a 32" inseam. I have no trouble reaching the ground of course. Backing the bike while sitting on the seat doesn't work so well for me. The pegs are positioned such that they hit my legs making this procedure kind of difficult. I push while off the bike with my left hand on the grip, the other on the grab rail. I find the V100 to be extremely well balanced with a low center of gravity. I have found this bike to be the easiest I have ever had to ride at almost 0 mph. It is almost like it can balance by itself.
kk

Same deal here. 30” inseam. How is it backing up?

If on the bike, at a stop, or doing a u-turn in a tight space where needing to back up, it’s manageable - if on level, hard ground. Gravel can be a problem though, with tendency to lose grip with the front part of the feet. I don’t mind dismounting if I need to - sometimes it’s easier. I’ve got almost 5k miles on the bike now, and can count on one hand when I’ve had to do that😁. More manageable than my Norge was, with about the same seat height, but with the more narrow front of the seat, the Mandelo is easier to shift side to side - don’t know if that makes sense😉. I don’t know anyone who got the shorter seat, or whether that was helpful. I’m good the way it is until my hip joints go😂.

Thanks for all the kind and useful replies. It is spring in southeast Pennsylvania, and my dealer has V100s on the floor. They now allow test rides. Tomorrow I am picking up my Aprilia Tuono 660 from its break in service. So....I may just ask to try a V100 since I will have all my gear. Frankly, it would be tough to part with my V7 III Special, which I would trade. I only have room for two bikes in my garage. The big question is if I can move a V100 around my garage? Seat shaving could be an option also? We will see. Tempted.

So....I may just ask to try a V100 since I will have all my gear. ….. The big question is if I can move a V100 around my garage? Seat shaving could be an option also? We will see. Tempted.
Yup, try a Mandello… you’ll know what the right thing to do will be😉

Back