• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 Mandello Suspension Thread

I own a V100 Mandello non-S model, and...

• Will likely leave it as is.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I always upgrade my suspension, as I understand the importance of it.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I'd be curious depending on the price.

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
This post will house settings, specs and upgrade options. Matris has emailed me with the updates below.
Vote above only if you own a non-Ohlins model.

For anyone reading this, please post your info based on the how-to HERE:

S model:
Travel Fr/Rr (same travel): 129 mm / 5.1 inches
Unladen: Fr/Rr ??
Target Static: Fr/Rr ~13.9 mm
Static: Fr/Rr ??
Target Landed: Fr/Rr 38.7 mm
Laden: Fr/Rr 34 mm/ ?? from below

@Florida lime wrote: Anyway, once I am happy with changes I keep trying with the suspension, I'll post them.
I have added 12 turns to the rear preload, and currently have an additional 4 turns of preload added to the forks (the manual warns it's not recommended to adjust), but they tell you how anyway :) ) That gives the front approximately 34mm sag with my 210 pounds onboard.
I'm still playing with the manual sport settings that I have called up for when I'm in sport mode, but right now I'm waiting to change tires before making any more changes.

Non-S model:
Travel Fr/Rr (same travel): 129 mm / 5.1 inches
Unladen: Fr/Rr ??
Target Static: Fr/Rr ~13.9 mm
Static: Fr/Rr ??
Target Landed: Fr/Rr 38.7 mm
Laden: Fr/Rr ??

Find most all below on the GTM STORE tab above;

Matris V100 Frks Matris V100 MShks

Last edited:
Will the suspension be similar to the S model and what it offers?
Are you asking about the electronically adjustable Ohlins? I can get those, but they likely won't be cheap, and I'm not even sure if the bike will allow it.
If you're asking if the suspension upgrades I'm talking about will be superior to stock on the standard model, the answer is a resounding yes. I've been doing this a long time, and it's always worth every penny. ALL OEMs are handicapped with cost restrictions, even on the S model. My really good friend works for Ohlins US, and told me of the hoops they had to jump through to use their product on the S model.

Are you asking about the electronically adjustable Ohlins? I can get those, but they likely won't be cheap, and I'm not even sure if the bike will allow it.
If you're asking if the suspension upgrades I'm talking about will be superior to stock on the standard model, the answer is a resounding yes. I've been doing this a long time, and it's always worth every penny. ALL OEMs are handicapped with cost restrictions, even on the S model. My really good friend works for Ohlins US, and told me of the hurdles they had to jump through to use their product on the S model.

I was thinking just a suspension upgrade as I didn't think the adjustable Ohlins would be possible. I look forward to seeing what you're able to work out with Matris.

Whilst I only wanted the red bike, I also would have chosen the Ohlins semi-active option if available but the dealer said it’s not an option due to a different electronic brain needed , therefore it’s not viable ( I’m sure there’s a technical term for this) nor is it a retrofit possibility

Whilst I only wanted the red bike, I also would have chosen the Ohlins semi-active option if available but the dealer said it’s not an option due to a different electronic brain needed , therefore it’s not viable ( I’m sure there’s a technical term for this) nor is it a retrofit possibility
Thanks for the post. I'll find out more from both Piaggio/Guzzi Tech Svcs here in the U.S. and my good friend at Ohlins USA.

Some thoughts on the shortcomings of the standard suspension on the V100 with Kayaba suspension

I am confused about the factory choice of suspension for the V100 base model.
I am a cautious rider, usually riding alone and only on tarmac, without pushing the bike to its limits. I also have no special knowledge of motorcycle engineering. In terms of setting up the suspension on my bike, it is important to note that my own weight is almost 70kg. With clothes, helmet and personal items in the tank bag, such as camera, mobile phone, keys and disc lock, the total weight is about 80 kg.

Let me start by saying that I am not convinced that the semi adaptive suspension of the V100S would have been the solution for me. Semi adaptive electronically controlled suspension has other drawbacks, which is why some buyers, like myself, prefer traditional damping. For me, the traditional suspension is worth it, even if the search for the ideal setting is a long one.

I was surprised by the suspension characteristics of both the front fork and the swingarm with the factory settings. At the front, the fork feels undefined, and at the rear I found the damping to be ungracefully firm over large bumps when riding solo, while the suspension and damping smoothed out when riding with a passenger.

I started by measuring free and rider sag, both front and rear. I then looked for and compared the values considered normal by experts. Finally, I tried adjusting the standard settings and assessed whether the bike felt better after the adjustment.

According to the manufacturer's specification, the standard maximum suspension travel is 130mm both front and rear.

Front fork
The measured free sag and rider sag are 40mm and 49mm in the standard setting. The free sag is high by expert standards and the riders sag, while also high, is closer to the normal range. What is particularly striking is that the difference between the free sag and the riders sag is remarkably small. This leads me to suspect that the spring rate of the standard single spring in the right front fork is too high.

Swing arm
At the rear, we measured 13mm of free sag and 30mm of rider sag. This corresponds to the values given by experts. The merciless hits over large bumps indicate that the rebound damping in the shock absorber is too strong at higher piston displacements. By unscrewing the screw at the top of the shock as far as possible, I reduced the rebound damping, with some improvement, but I still experienced rough damping over large bumps.

Adjustments and results

Front fork
I increased the preload to the maximum and the rebound damping by 3 clicks. The free sag went from 40 to 36.5 mm, the rider sag from 49 to 44 mm, a value that is still considered by experts to be quite wide, while the difference in travel also shows that the spring rate of the standard single spring in the front fork is quite high. With the aforementioned adjustment of preload and rebound damping, I noticed that the front fork felt more defined and reassuring. Intuitively, I would think that the solution would be to replace the single spring in the front fork with a spring with a lower spring rate, but with more preload to further reduce free sag. However, I have no idea whether this would be possible in practice.

Swing arm
I am aware that the damping force increases with the square of the speed, which means that doubling the speed of the damper shaft will quadruple the damping force. I was expecting that fitting a replacement spring with a lower spring rate than the standard would result in smoother movements, less rebound damping and therefore less harsh damping over large bumps. The standard Kayaba spring has a slightly progressive spring rate of 132 to 145 N/mm. The selected replacement spring has a spring rate of 120 N/mm. I added about 6 mm of preload to compensate for the ride height and to achieve about the same 30 mm of sag as with the stock spring. The result is that the rear suspension is more forgiving when ridden solo, and the bumpiness is reduced, but not eliminated. When riding with a passenger, however, the rear height drops too much, which cannot be compensated for by further adjustment of the preload adjuster. I don't have the feeling that the swingarm is optimally adjusted. I am now considering replacing the hydraulic oil in the rear shock with a lower viscosity oil of 12.4 instead of the standard 20.5 mm2/s in the standard Kayaba shock.

I would like to ask the readers of the forum what they think of my measurements and experiences. Are there readers who confirm my measurements and experiences or have different measurements? What other measures do you have in mind to improve the handling? Are there any readers with experience of replacing the single spring in the front fork or shock absorber, or perhaps changing the hydraulic oil in the shock absorber?

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_144224.jpg
    IMG_20230509_144224.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The spring works fine and will be passive supported in the hyperpro assortiment. If there comes enough requests the spring will come in the sales catalogue. It is a 120 -220 nm spring and is really progressive and rides also fine with passenger.

That is an encouraging result! Thanks for sharing. Do you know the length of the Hyperpro spring? Is it 175 or 170mm?
The standard KYB spring has a length of 180mm.

Any news about replacement for the spring in the front fork?

That is an encouraging result! Thanks for sharing. Do you know the length of the Hyperpro spring? Is it 175 or 170mm?
The standard KYB spring has a length of 180mm.

180 mm is the hyperpro. And the front fork is now sufficient for my use of the bike

What is static and laden sag measurements for the forks?
The suspension of the V100 and V100S continues to fascinate me. I recently got a V100S on loan from my dealer when my V100 was being repaired due to a cooling water leak.
An opportunity for me to take a very extensive test drive of the V100S and compare the suspension of the V100 and V100S. In my experience, the difference is huge. I easily found a setting on the V100S that I really liked.

Using the V100S also gave me the opportunity to measure the static sag and rider sag of the V100S as well. Please note that the riders sag only applies for a rider weight of 70 kg.

Front
Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory setting: 40mm / 49mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100 maximum preload: 37mm / 44mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100S factory setting: 29mm / 36mm

Rear
Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory setting: 13mm / 30mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100 Spring replacement 120N/mm with 4,3mm preload : 13mm / 34mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100S minimal preload: 21mm / 39mm

I have the Matris Monoshock MM121.1KDIK (R-L-HP) and the FKS Spring kit FM117KS on order. Once they are mounted I will post my experience and the measurements of static sag and riders sag.

have the Matris Monoshock MM121.1KDIK (R-L-HP) and the FKS Spring kit FM117KS on order. Once they are mounted I will post my experience and the measurements of static sag and riders sag.
Please do. For those in N. America, I have them online to order now;

Back