• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 Mandello Suspension Thread

I own a V100 Mandello non-S model, and...

• Will likely leave it as is.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I always upgrade my suspension, as I understand the importance of it.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I'd be curious depending on the price.

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
The Matris suspension kit for my V100 is mounted. I opted for the most cost-effective option, namely to only replace the front fork springs and replace the rear KYB shock absorber with the simplest Matris shock absorber.

First of all I want to share the measurements of the sag with you. Please note that these values only apply to my rider weight of around 70 kg.

Front
Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory setting: 40mm / 49mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100 Matris springs 30mm / 38mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100S factory setting: 29mm / 36mm

Rear
Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory setting: 13mm / 30mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100 Matris shock: 16mm / 38mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100S minimum preload: 21mm / 39mm

The measured values now approach the values of the V100S fairly accurately. The riders sag front and rear is now exactly the same value, namely 38mm.

During the driving test I noticed a huge improvement. I like the steering better, the front of the bike dives much less during braking. The previous harshness of the rear suspension has been replaced by an adequate damping.

I can recommend the Matris front fork spring kit and rear shock.
For those who want to apply the same adjustment, I will name all the settings here.
Front: springs 36/320/10, air chamber 130mm (instead of 150mm as mentioned by Matris in the instruction manual. Motorex SAE 10W oil, rebound damping 6 clicks, preload 6 turns.
Rear: Spring 57/150/135, preload 4 clicks, rebound damping 26 clicks.

Attachments

• PXL_20230814_122216597.jpg
    PXL_20230814_122216597.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230814_123621973.jpg
    PXL_20230814_123621973.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 27
The Matris suspension kit for my V100 is mounted. I opted for the most cost-effective option, namely to only replace the front fork springs and replace the rear KYB shock absorber with the simplest Matris shock absorber.

Thank you for sharing!!!

May I ask you wich specs you asked to Matris to match the springs? (e.g. your weight, % of use solo/duo, passenger weight, etc..... ?)

Thank you for sharing!!!

May I ask you wich specs you asked to Matris to match the springs? (e.g. your weight, % of use solo/duo, passenger weight, etc..... ?)
70 kg rider weight without clothing
10 kg weight motorcycle clothing and tank bag with disc lock

During holidays 55 kg passenger weight

70 kg rider weight without clothing
10 kg weight motorcycle clothing and tank bag with disc lock

During holidays 55 kg passenger weight
Hello, did you had any chance to road test for Matris kit ?
Any feedback?
I really would like to complete mi V100 with a fork cartridge kit in the next months.....
Did you installed the fork springs by yourself?
I was studying the manual and the pictures of the fork internals.,.... I wonder that seems as the left fork has no plunger, just spring and oil......
Can you confirm? There isn't any compression valve , nothing???

Ciao Alessandro,
In the meantime I have made some kilometers with the new wheel suspension. The damping at the rear wheel is a huge improvement. I notice that especially on roads where the asphalt is not so smooth, but with holes and cracks. At the front end I didn't have much to complain about the damping in the original set up. But the suspension has improved enormously after mounting the front fork spring set.
The assembly is done by a professional company. But I was allowed to just stand and watch it while working. The original front fork is filled with what appears to be thinner oil than the Motorex 10 that is now in it. I can confirm that in the left front fork there are only two spacers stacked on top of each other and a roughly finished spring. All damping is in the right front fork. The damping is fine adjustable for my taste. The new springs are longer than the original springs so that there is considerably more preload in the front fork than before. I can imagine that more improvement can be achieved with the Matris front fork cartridges. But in the coming year I will gain experience with the current set up. If I feel that there is more need for improvement, the front fork cartridges are always worth considering.

My Matris rear shock arrived from GTM yesterday evening and I dropped it into the bike today.

Getting to the inboard nut on the upper mount was awkward, not much space to work. Getting that nut threaded with the new shock in place required a little patience, ditto holding the wrench on it to apply the 50Nm torque (torquing would be easier with a second person holding the wrench), but I got it done. About 90 minutes for removal of the Kayaba and the new install. Happy with the look, and it also smartens up the appearance looking from the rear to the back of the clutch. I figured a little splash of color for the Italian navy wouldn't go amiss.

PXL 20231017 182045930

PXL 20231017 182912466

Got the sag dialed in for starters this evening. First ride tomorrow to refine the sag, will start with rebound and compression at the mid-point. At present I'm staying with the Kayaba fork internals and will see how they feel now that the rear suspension should actually function properly for my riding MO.

My starting numbers:

Front > Static/Rider 33mm/43mm Rear > Static/Rider 7mm/39mm

I will likely add another turn to the preload on the forks (currently 4 turns from fully closed), but the rear looks good (4 clicks off max preload, 5.3mm of 7mm). The small number for the rear static may reflect my custom set-up for 86kg (190lbs) street clothes, no pillion to accommodate (Mrs. T2 doesn't like motorcycles :() and a max of ~25kg (55lbs) luggage - so a relatively short spring as you may have noticed.

I have Matris model MM121.25ID, spring set-up 57/130/135. Preload adjustment range 7mm, with compression and rebound.

Let's see how she goes.

Thanks to Imagilink for posting sag numbers on various set-ups - a great reference point for me.

T2

Update on the ride with the Matris shock.

Spent 170 miles playing with the pre-load, front and rear, testing out 30% +/- 4% of target, but nothing felt better than the starting point in the above post - so I dialed it back to those settings once I was home. Today a couple of hours was spent doing loops on bumpy backroads, a total of 50 miles. In order (clicks from fully open) rear rebound (+12 of 40), rear compression (+7 of 20), then the front rebound (+4 of 14). This is my plush touring set up, with plenty of scope to tighten settings for a sporty feel when desired on a decent road surface. Exactly what I asked GTM to deliver.

I bought the V100 hoping I could get the cockpit comfort and ride quality into a true high mile touring space. I hoped. Now I believe.

Matris & GTM nailed it with the shock for my riding MO. The shock design took advantage of not needing to accommodate a passenger, and the performance truly exhibited itself today.

Happy camper. T2

I bought the V100 hoping I could get the cockpit comfort and ride quality into a true high mile touring space. I hoped. Now I believe.
Matris & GTM nailed it with the shock for my riding MO. The shock design took advantage of not needing to accommodate a passenger, and the performance truly exhibited itself today.
Happy camper. T2
Excellent. Give it a few hundred more miles to bed the seals in, and it'll get even better. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: BDS
Excellent. Give it a few hundred more miles to bed the seals in, and it'll get even better. Thanks for posting.
I've just turned over 4,000 miles, the last 1,300 on the Matris shock and you were absolutely correct, it continued to improve over the first ~600 miles. I made a couple of additional refining adjustments to the F&R settings since last report, though over the last 750 miles left it alone. With the suspension dialed and the motor now fully bedded every ride is an endorphin rush. Couldn't be happier.

To anyone thinking about a Matris upgrade I would recommend getting a unit with the compression damping, it is worth the modest incremental cost. With the rear shock I'm finding the OEM fork set up acceptable.

Todd, what is the recommended service interval? Does GTM do the servicing and if not, where should it go?

Thanks.

T2

My weight is 82kgs (around 90kgs ready to ride) and on my V100 Mandello Rosso I find both the fork and the rear shock very stiff.
In fact these are the numbers from the fork:

Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory setting: 10mm / 21mm
Static sag / Riders sag V100 factory my setting (preload minimum/ rebound open 6 clics): 20mm / 27mm

I have not measured the rear shock but even set at minimum preload I can hardly make if compress only al little.
The bike handles very well with good hidraulics on road back I find it very hard to make it bend on hairpins on 2nd or 1st gear compared with my other bikes.

Since I am based in Europe I am considering replacing the rear shock with the EMC shock from France with a spring rated for my weight.
I am considering replacing the original fork springs with the Matris ones, do you think this may improve back road handling?

Back