• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 saddlebags note and warning!

Gman - thx for the post … I’ll be referring back to it, if I ever GET my panniers😙.
You're welcome. I am currently in the process of repairing a coolant leak that began at about 220 miles. It is a hose clamp, the crappy crimp on style that is on the rear of the rubber hose from the left side of the radiator where it attaches to a aluminum "pipe" about 35 mm dia or 1 3/8" I have the old clamp off and just ordered a new one ( german 9 mm wide worm gear type. I had to remove all or the front bodywork, fuel tank and airbox to get to it. I came off pretty easy because it was not crimped tight enough. it is about 3-4 hours just to see the hose clamp. I may post pictures for those who like to do their own. I generall do not want anyone other than myself working on my bikes... Unless some expensive specil tools are needed. The arrow shows where the defective clamp is located deep within, the close up you can see where the coolant reservoir is for reference, and the defective, or maybe not crimped tight enough clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3358 (1).jpg
    IMG_3358 (1).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3362.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: BDS
You're welcome. I am currently in the process of repairing a coolant leak that began at about 220 miles. It is a hose clamp, the crappy crimp on style that is on the rear of the rubber hose from the left side of the radiator where it attaches to a aluminum "pipe" about 35 mm dia or 1 3/8" I have the old clamp off and just ordered a new one ( german 9 mm wide worm gear type. I had to remove all or the front bodywork, fuel tank and airbox to get to it. I came off pretty easy because it was not crimped tight enough. it is about 3-4 hours just to see the hose clamp. I may post pictures for those who like to do their own. I generall do not want anyone other than myself working on my bikes... Unless some expensive specil tools are needed. The arrow shows where the defective clamp is located deep within, the close up you can see where the coolant reservoir is for reference, and the defective, or maybe not crimped tight enough clamp.

IMG 3362
This clamp I'm sure, was originally specified to be removable and reusable. That's the type that it is. They used the exact same type on the charcoal canister on the Stelvio NTX. I showed them in my online removal guide for the Charcoal Canister in the Stelvio Forum.

I have to say that to me, it really isn't an appropriate clamp for a high pressure - high temperature application.

In my opinion, based upon my experience and other vehicles and motorcycles I own, they should have specified a Oetiker clamp. That's what I would use. Positively. If you use the correct size which is stamped into the clamp itself, the Oetiker ear clamp is absolutely bulletproof in that properly installed Oetiker clamps do not leak.

The problem however becomes accessibility to properly compress the tensioning ear. It may even require a specialty tool be constructed for the specific purpose. I have several in all sorts of configurations.

I would be very interested to see what Moto Guzzi's solution is. If you find out, please post. That would be very interesting indeed.

They very well could have just gone to the original style but to a smaller diameter clamp where the increased pressure would get the job done. It remains to be seen. 🍿

Last edited:
I guess I am not within the "Circle of Friends" yet. ........... I thought the post may help some people as to not be ham fisted while putting the bags on their V100s. I can say that if installed properly, there is absolutely no way the bags will just fall off while riding. Thanks for your input. FYI, I grew up in Bedford

Don't get discouraged and don't let the bastards grind you down! :D

I think the information you've presented is stellar. It is precisely this type of information GuzziTech strives to be a library of. That information will be of invaluable benefit to somebody else on another day and everything in the post will be searchable for ease of finding the information from a keyword search.

Thanks again. I appreciate what you wrote.

You hit the nail squarely on the head my friend. Well done.

View attachment 30462
This clamp I'm sure, was originally specified to be removable and reusable. That's the type that it is. They used the exact same type on the charcoal canister on the Stelvio NTX. I showed them in my online removal guide for the Charcoal Canister in the Stelvio Forum.

I have to say that to me, it really isn't an appropriate clamp for a high pressure - high temperature application.

In my opinion, based upon my experience and other vehicles and motorcycles I own, they should have specified a Oetiker clamp. That's what I would use. Positively. If you use the correct size which is stamped into the clamp itself, the Oetiker ear clamp is absolutely bulletproof in that properly installed Oetiker clamps do not leak.

The problem however becomes accessibility to properly compress the tensioning ear. It may even require a specialty tool be constructed for the specific purpose. I have several in all sorts of configurations.

I would be very interested to see what Moto Guzzi's solution is. If you find out, please post. That would be very interesting indeed.

They very well could have just gone to the original style but to a smaller diameter clamp where the increased pressure would get the job done. It remains to be seen. 🍿
This is what I ordered and will use. Oddly enough this looks to be the type of clamp used on the hose connection at the radiator. My guess is the aluminum tube and hose may be assembled with the engine where there is enough room to crimp/install the clamp, and the final connection to the radiator after the engine is in the frame, is with a worm gear type clamp.....
S l1600

ebay.com/itm/252895426672

Don't get discouraged and don't let the bastards grind you down! :D

I think the information you've presented is stellar. It is precisely this type of information GuzziTech strives to be a library of. That information will be of invaluable benefit to somebody else on another day and everything in the post will be searchable for ease of finding the information from a keyword search.

Thanks again. I appreciate what you wrote.

You hit the nail squarely on the head my friend. Well done.
NAh, they don't get me down, I just call 'em out on their rudeness....

Thoughts on installing Panniers:
When installing the bags, get the front and rear mounting posts lined up with the receiving slots, and you will notice the inside tab for the lower mount (that attaches to the passenger foot peg bracket with the rubber) is shorter allowing it to move inward together with the two posts into the receiving slots.
Once lined up push the bag inward until they are seated into the slots, along with the lower mount around and up against the rubber. Once this is good, hold the bag into the bike with your legs and or stomach, and while keeping the bag seated inward, grab the handle, then with your free hand strike the bag forward from the rear, near the top in line with the posts with the heel of your hand until you see the front post is forward as far as it will go as seen through the opening in the seat well where the "spike" on the seat that locks in the post goes. You will have to coax it to the front with multiple palm hits, don't be afraid of breaking it, they're pretty tough, just don't go Medieval (the spike on the bottom of the seat fits behind the post locking it in place as seen in the pic showing location with red arrow). Once the bag is persuaded to forward position you can let go of it as it is held from coming out by the two "hooks" at the end of the posts. To remove, reverse the procedure while striking with your palm from the front, while making sure the bag is supported by legs and stomach......... Easy Peasy........

View attachment 30165View attachment 30166

I just recently bought a V100 and am waiting two months to get my Panniers due to Moto Guzzi being backordered. I've saved your post to make my life easier when they do arrive.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the details on installing them!

I just recently bought a V100 and am waiting two months to get my Panniers due to Moto Guzzi being backordered. I've saved your post to make my life easier when they do arrive.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the details on installing them!
You are most welcome.

Thank you gentlemen for the great information! I pick up my bags tomorrow and will reference this thread and if I ever have the coolant leak, I now know one of the possible culprits and how to correct it. Much appreciated!

Thoughts on installing Panniers:
When installing the bags, get the front and rear mounting posts lined up with the receiving slots, and you will notice the inside tab for the lower mount (that attaches to the passenger foot peg bracket with the rubber) is shorter allowing it to move inward together with the two posts into the receiving slots.
Once lined up push the bag inward until they are seated into the slots, along with the lower mount around and up against the rubber. Once this is good, hold the bag into the bike with your legs and or stomach, and while keeping the bag seated inward, grab the handle, then with your free hand strike the bag forward from the rear, near the top in line with the posts with the heel of your hand until you see the front post is forward as far as it will go as seen through the opening in the seat well where the "spike" on the seat that locks in the post goes. You will have to coax it to the front with multiple palm hits, don't be afraid of breaking it, they're pretty tough, just don't go Medieval (the spike on the bottom of the seat fits behind the post locking it in place as seen in the pic showing location with red arrow). Once the bag is persuaded to forward position you can let go of it as it is held from coming out by the two "hooks" at the end of the posts. To remove, reverse the procedure while striking with your palm from the front, while making sure the bag is supported by legs and stomach......... Easy Peasy........

View attachment 30165View attachment 30166
Thanks for the tip. I've been reading the V100 owners manual and in nearly 200 pages, I didn't notice anything about Panniers, Sidecases, Saddlebags... Hope to get mine in mid-July if it gets to Cadre Cycle by then. The bags I had on my '69 V7 were homemade with bracket-supports of angle-iron. Only on for the trip to Acapulco from Indiana.

Last edited:
View attachment 30462

While you are in there I would change every clamp you see . As you say 4 hours of work to get it open to work on ,

Thanks for the tip. I've been reading the V100 owners manual and in nearly 200 pages, I didn't notice anything about Panniers, Sidecases, Saddlebags... Hope to get mine in mid-July if it gets to Cadre Cycle by then. The bags I had on my '69 V7 were homemade with bracket-supports of angle-iron. Only on for the trip to Acapulco from Indiana.
You are welcome, glad to help. Once you look at the mounting posts on the bags it will be clear to see how they are locked on.

Indy - My bags came in at Cadre yesterday. There were 8 or 10 sets in the shipment. Not sure if they are all spoken for, or if a set may yours?🤔

My left pannier fell off riding today. I was actually familiar with this thread, so I am extremely careful about mounting them. They weren't even loaded with anything. I am concerned the mounting system is fundamentally flawed. Even if I get a replacement pannier, I am not sure how I am ever going to be able to trust the luggage system now. I am just glad the thing didn't hit a car or passing bicyclist.

I also had the coolant leak issue. Bike was in the shop for four weeks. My confidence in my first Moto Guzzi is waning.

Sorry to hear that…🙁… and, I certainly understand the “trust” thing. Don’t want to be traveling, and worry about stopping for gas only to find something fell off. The new model issues are mounting it seems. I suspect as more people get them, and the miles rack up, deficiencies will reveal themselves. Sadly… because I traded a perfectly good, and dependable, Norge and Ducati for mine. The V100 is a beautiful bike, with good performance and handling, and comfort (to a point, for me). I hope we can get the kinks worked out, and enjoy them!

I suspect as more people get them, and the miles rack up, deficiencies will reveal themselves.

Ugh…

There is not one single vehicle of any kind made by any manufacturer, that does not have issues that arise once the product gets into the hands of the general public. Not one.

What is important is a manufacturer who stands behind their product, which Moto Guzzi has and continues to do.

Just because there are a few minor (and all of these thus far have been minor), does not in the slightest, indicate that the manufacturing process is flawed or that Piaggio is nothing more than a collection of wine-infused Italian country bumpkins… 😩😖

Sorry friend but…

No, it is not.

It’s operator error. Nothing more.

Oh sure, it's more. I realize there are some diehard Guzzi fans on this forum, but we don't need to defend bad design. I suppose the leaking coolant on my bike was user error as well?

I have never owned a motorcycle where the panniers fall off while riding. On every other bike I've owned, when you attach the panniers, they are either clearly secured or clearly NOT secured. The fact that there is no lever that sets the panniers into place is part of the problem. The design of these is categorically worse than the Varios of my BMW GS.

Oh sure, it's more. I realize there are some diehard Guzzi fans on this forum, but we don't need to defend bad design. I suppose the leaking coolant on my bike was user error as well?

I have never owned a motorcycle where the panniers fall off while riding. On every other bike I've owned, when you attach the panniers, they are either clearly secured or clearly NOT secured. The fact that there is no lever that sets the panniers into place is part of the problem. The design of these is categorically worse than the Varios of my BMW GS.
If you have not, kindly read my post in this thread 28 May. There is absolutely no way the bags will fall of if properly installed.
The coolant issue, that's another matter. The engineering is rock solid but, assembly line QC is not yet. I believe the crimp on hose clamps are out of spec and/or the installation/crimping tool are are out of calibration.

If you have not, kindly read my post in this thread 28 May. There is absolutely no way the bags will fall of if properly installed.
The coolant issue, that's another matter. The engineering is rock solid but, assembly line QC is not yet. I believe the crimp on hose clamps are out of spec and/or the installation/crimping tool are are out of calibration.

Yes I had seen your post already. The point I'm making is that the panniers were secured in the manner you described, and I still lost the left pannier. Despite taking these precautions (which 99% of owners would not have read about), there was still a problem. There may be some other issues with the tolerances of the mounting solution.

I did notice the mounting point on the pannier that attaches to the footpeg bracket was cracked and bowing in after I recovered it. Presumably this cracked on impact when the pannier flew off the road. Another possibility is that the mount was already weakened and cracked while riding. This could have put excessive strain on the remaining two mounting points. Sort of impossible to know.
IMG 8129

Yes I had seen your post already. The point I'm making is that the panniers were secured in the manner you described, and I still lost the left pannier. Despite taking these precautions (which 99% of owners would not have read about), there was still a problem. There may be some other issues with the tolerances of the mounting solution.

I did notice the mounting point on the pannier that attaches to the footpeg bracket was cracked and bowing in after I recovered it. Presumably this cracked on impact when the pannier flew off the road. Another possibility is that the mount was already weakened and cracked while riding. This could have put excessive strain on the remaining two mounting points. Sort of impossible to know.
View attachment 30536
I am trully sorry to hear this. It looks like that happened while tumbling on the pavement. What do the "hooks" at the end of the two mounting posts look like, and also the "spikes" on the bottom of the passenger seat bottom that secure the two posts/hooks from moving rearward? Any unusual wear marks/points? Did you by chance spray any silicone or any other type of lube as someone suggested? I think that is not a good Idea... Lube will attract grime and turn into a fine lapping compound. Tight fit is almost always best.

Last edited:
Back