• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v50 crankshaft end float

Tony Lyons-Lewis

Just got it firing!
We are fixing up a 1980 V50 nag, when the clutch lever is pulled in, we get a horrible grating noise that transmits up to the hand lever. Gearbox off and clutch all looks in good condition, but there is about 1/4" end float in the crank. Is this excessive and, f so, how much should it be and how is it fixed? With thrust bearings on the crank flanges?

I believe end float on a Guzzi small block crank is determined by the front main. It probably requires replacement. Locate a service manual for the bike and it should give the front main and crank specifications/dimensions. Hopefully with that much end float the crankcase halves haven't been damaged, but with that much play it is possible. I'd also carefully inspect the rods to see what is going on there as well. That much end play could cause a problem.

Thanks very much for the help. We are now busy stripping the motor to see what has gone wrong! There are small bits of metal apparent on the sump gauze filter. Battling to undo the Allen cap screws holding the timing chain guide - why Allen cap when hex bolts would do, so much easier to apply some force on seized fixings with a socket!!!!

All stripped down and the half collar thrust bearing, I think that is the term for it, is lying lose in the housing, severely ground and damaged. Question: what holds it in place normally? I have worked on old MGs quite a lot and the thrust bearings have always been in two semi-circular bits, located by a small tag on the outer circumference. I have never seen one like this with it only being half circular!
Next question: Is a replacement just one standard thickness or are there oversizes available. Also, is it sold on it's own or only as part of a full set of replacement main bearings?
Lastly: is there a sludge trap in the crank shaft?
We need to clean everything very carefully to get rid of the metallic bits left behind from the failed thrust bearing!

its quite a common problem with small blocks, My old monza engine got scrapped as the rear of the crank was damaged but thrust bearing failure. My V65TT is just starting to have odd noise when red hot and clutch pulled in. Far as im aware the bearings just sit in the rear of the block and are pressurised with oil... Guzzoligy talks a lot about later lario spec bearings being used and factory mod for adding a oil hole to the bearing

Bearings are sold alone an i have only ever seen one size.

There is a sludge trap according to the workshop manuals

its quite a common problem with small blocks, My old monza engine got scrapped as the rear of the crank was damaged but thrust bearing failure. My V65TT is just starting to have odd noise when red hot and clutch pulled in. Far as im aware the bearings just sit in the rear of the block and are pressurised with oil... Guzzoligy talks a lot about later lario spec bearings being used and factory mod for adding a oil hole to the bearing

Thanks for the info. We have machined the face of the crank where the outer thrust fits and are making up an oversize item, then white-metalling it. Hope this all works as locally no bearings are available

Back