Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V50ii Ignition - keep original Bosch or fit Silent Hektik?

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Jetmeister, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Jetmeister

Jetmeister Just got it firing!

Hi

This is my first post here and probably not the last. I've recently purchased an part finished V50 cafe racer project which is in serious need of re-wiring. I'm going with the Moto Gadget mo.unit to simplify things.

My question is, as I'll have the bike in pieces, is it worth replacing the 40 year old Bosch ignition with a Silent Hektik setup?

I like that the Silent Hektik has more adjustability with multiple advance curves and the kit comes with new coils, but wondering if anyone else has done the same and seen the benefits.

Many thanks.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If I remember correctly, the V50 I and III used points and were reliable systems. The V50II electronic ignition was a bit problematic. I would go with a reliable system.

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The V50 and V50 II had the Bosch ignition. Points were introduced on the V50 III.
    The Bosch system had a bad press, my V50 II was fine, but maybe it sounded sluggish below 2500. But it had no power at those revs anyway. The important thing was to make sure both pickups were set correctly with identical air gaps.
    There is also the Sachs ignition, comparable to the Silent Hectic.
    But bear in mind the V50 is not a performance engine, so don't expect miracles.

Moto-Uno and john zibell like this.
  4. Adamigo

Adamigo Just got it firing!

As you may need to invest some cash in other depts of your basket case, I'd stay with Bosch for now, they weren't that bad, just this flat spot at the revs nobody really use. I had no issues with it for last ten years and 20kmiles. But, on the other hand, as there's so many unfinished projects for reasonable money on eBay, with plenty of expensive parts bought and never fitted, if you wish to end up like that...:) But seriously: go on with the rebuild and spend your money where you need it. I bet ignition is not the right dept!

Moto-Uno likes this.
  5. Jetmeister

Jetmeister Just got it firing!

Thanks Gents for your thoughts. Adamigo - you're right, there is a lot other things I need to spend cash on, so I think I'll try the Bosch setup for a while, and change it at a later stage if needed.

Mayakovski likes this.