RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

V65 clutch issue

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Ivan_J, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Ivan_J

Ivan_J Just got it firing!

I seached for similar problem, but not find much information.

I'm building a custom bike from an old V65TT.
    I bought the donor cheap and not running.
    Dismantled engine only to find out the timing chain spring is broken. The engine is in good condition.
    The clutch friction plate was shot so I change it with a friction plate from a car - probably some old Fiat ot Renault. The only differece is the center hub length so I cut it down.
    Now the bike is almost ready. I started it and found there is a big rpm drop when I pull clutch in idle. There is noticeable rpm drop with clutch pull even at higher rpm. And the clutch drags.
    Measured crankshaft thrust play - 0.15mm (service manual says up to 0.45).
    The thrust bearing is in good condition. The problem persists with any clutch adujstment - as per manual, with and without free play.
    I'm out of ideas.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Two things can cause the clutch drag. Improper adjustment of the clutch cable (too much free play) and arm at the gearbox not at 90 degrees to the clutch push rod or the clutch plate is too thick.

3. Ivan_J

Today I drop the engine to check if there are any visible clutch issues.
    Nothing. Flywheel have rust pits. As the rust can cause dragging, can not cause rpm drop.

Friction plate(is new) is 7.5mm thick and is straigth, push rod is 227mm. Clutch freeplay is adjusted as it should - 2mm at lever.
    Reconnected the engine and gearbox and started the bike. Again rpm drops.
    I think to finish the bike and drive it a bit. It is possible the clutch breaks in.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. john zibell

I don't know the Guzzi spec for a new plate. Since you used an automotive plate it may be thicker. Also did you get both side of the clutch hub area? If too wide that might be an issue.

5. Ivan_J

Guzzi specs new plate at 8mm, worn limit 6.5mm.
    The hub is longer transmission side only, engine side is shorter.
    In V7-III engine manual I found the following pictures
    [​IMG]
    As I can see thrusts can't be mounted wrong way but as I can't remember for sure how I installed them, I'm considering dismantling the engine to check as this can lead to rapid crankshaft wear. And can cause rpm drop but not clutch drag.
    Can I lift the crankshaft without removing top ends? Just removing timing chain, oil pan and splitting the cases?

6. john zibell

You may also have to disconnect the connecting rods to lift the crankshaft.

7. Ivan_J

I'm already remounting the engine. There is nothing wrong inside except worn main journals that I know of previously. They are just off the limits. When I build that engine I don't have access to the V7III engine which states limits, but V65 engine gives only factory clearances.
    V7 manual give limits of 0.08mm for front and 0.09mm for rear bearing. I measured 0.10mm.
    Today i also found there are oversize main bearings for some V65 models and for V7, not for TT. Old V65 manual state there are no oversize bearing shells and crankshafts are not grindable to undersize. Unfortunately V65tt and newer V65 crankshafts have different part numbers.
    I can order oversize shells but I don't know if my crankshaft can be grinded to undersize and work well after that. So I think of leaving it as is.