• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V65 Swingarm Advice

Seedoubleyou

Just got it firing!
I have just taken my V65 for an MOT and it failed due to excessive swingarm movement. I've looked at my service manual and it doesn't really help. Can someone help with the following

1) I gather that there are 2 bearings pressed into the crank cases. Is it usual for these to fail on a 38k bike? If so how day are they to get out, as I can see that the bearing housing is blind
2) there are two pins that appear to tension the swinging arm bearings. Are these threaded into the swinging arm? I've got a horrible feeling that the threads may be stripped as I can't tension them all the way. If they are stripped is this a new swingarm job?
3) if the swinging arm has to come out do I need to take the drive box off to access the drive shaft, etc..

Thanks for any help you can provide

I looked at a couple of maintenance manuals for the small block. They seem to ignore the swing arm. Go here http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm and look at a parts manual. From the drawing I can't tell if the bearing is a tapered roller of ball bearing, but my guess is ball bearing. You will need a blind puller to remove the bearing. Heating the transmission case will make extraction easier if necessary. I would use an electric heat gun instead of a torch.

Also if you try to move the pin, be sure to loosen the locknut first. You should be able to just remove the pins to have access to the bearings. You may need to un-mount the shocks to be able to move the swing arm back. The drive shaft has a spline connection to the output of the transmission and should just slide off. Bearings are susceptible to water damage, that more than mileage will cause the bearing to fail, if in fact they have.

The swing arm bearings are located in a blind recess cast into the gear box housing.

The pins are smooth in the bearings but threaded into the swing arm. Quite a tight thread though I have never measured it.

The important thing and main difference on a small block to a big block Tonti (This is for John's future reference) is due to only a single cross in the drive axle there should be a spacer washer on the RH side to align the shaft and gearbox.

The LH pin should be tightened up first. The RH pin should only be in enough to hold the swing arm in position. Then tighten the LH pin to bring the swing arm across. Tighten it till it is just firm and the swing arm is firm up against the spacer washer. The RH pin can then be tightened until it is just firm against it's bearing. Holding the pins lock the big chrome lock nuts.

If the threads in the swing arm are stripped then it is a new swing arm or get the threads repaired. There are different length swing arms for different models so you need to check the length. Its all in Guzziology.

I'm hoping it is just poor adjustment of the pins. If you aren't sure just remove the lock nuts and watch the pins to see if they are still advancing when turned.

Cheers

Rod

Back