• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 850 2022 already rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Ralph says. I took my Special off the road for the winter; I have another bike to ride then. Here in the UK the salt that is spread on the roads ruins bikes like the Special unless they are treated BEFORE they are exposed to salt. I too use ACF50, but I neither spray nor brush it on. I spray onto a cloth or kitchen roll and rub it on.
Personally I wouldn’t say they are premium bikes for what they are. Yes, a Triumph is more expensive but it is better made and has more tech. I’d say the current Triumph retros are higher quality than the V7 range and have fewer if any Chinese parts in them.
Triumphs are higher quality? Do you mean since they are now made in CHINA. As far as the amount of Chinese parts seeing how triumphs are made in in China I am guessing triumph has all of its parts made in China. And everyone knows that anything made in China has to be a premium product!

Last edited:
I guess we need to wait and see backfeeds from other newbies ( unless they read this topic before bike gets ruined). Maybe it's a factory defect. l could be able to find a 100 ml XCP which was very expensive but enough to cover all surfaces prone to corrosion specially seen as on photos sent by Speciality

Triumphs are higher quality? Do you mean since they are now made in CHINA. As far as the amount of Chinese parts seeing how triumphs are made in in China I am guessing triumph has all of its parts made in China. And everyone knows that anything made in China has to be a premium product!
The last time I looked Thailand, where Triumphs have been made for years, is a different country from China. Triumph set up the production line there and the factory follows the same processes as the one here in England, with the same QA standards.
If you want a bike with variable quality parts made in China try a V7 850. The front caliper is Brembo but the rear one isn’t- guess where that comes from. Also, my Special needs the front disc replacing in 3,400 miles (it’s out of warranty) because there is way too much rotational and sideways slop in the bobbins (buttons) or the carrier. It was a video of another one with exactly the same wear that alerted me to it. I wonder where those parts were made - I doubt they’re Brembo.

I’m not a big fan of “made in China” stuff either but it doesn’t mean everything is bad or of substandard quality. My front rotor on my Special has Brembo markings. If made in another country, I’m sure they would need to meet certain standards.
Back to the original post about rust. Looks to me like the rust developed due to exposure to rain or high humidity. I’d clean the bits really well, then apply some protectant and see if it comes back.

Just noticed the date of the original post. Was the bike exposed to salt from the roads? The dirt on the bike looks like salt stains. That would explain a lot.

The last time I looked Thailand, where Triumphs have been made for years, is a different country from China. Triumph set up the production line there and the factory follows the same processes as the one here in England, with the same QA standards.
If you want a bike with variable quality parts made in China try a V7 850. The front caliper is Brembo but the rear one isn’t- guess where that comes from. Also, my Special needs the front disc replacing in 3,400 miles (it’s out of warranty) because there is way too much rotational and sideways slop in the bobbins (buttons) or the carrier. It was a video of another one with exactly the same wear that alerted me to it. I wonder where those parts were made - I doubt they’re Brembo.
I am sorry Thailand that's a big upgrade there. After reading what you wrote I went to talk to some friends who also ride. During our talk I asked them if they would feel alright riding a street bike made in Thailand . For that question I got a big F _ _ _ no! I know personally I would not feel secure riding or trusting my life on something made there . Alright I accept that parts on my bike are made in china. But unlike your triumph my entire bike is not made in China.But your entire bike is made in Thailand . I would never ride a Asian triumph you can have fun. And as far as your triumph being made better I think not. Triumph is nothing but a shadow of what it once was even then they where nothing special.

Last edited:
I don’t have a Triumph; the one I did have (a 2016 Thruxton 865) was at least as well made as my V7 850 Special and was made in Thailand.

I think there is a more essential problem here than how to clean surface rust. The V-7 850 Special is a premium bike, costing above similar models from other manufacturers. For the prices charged for this model, one would hope the exhaust and other presently chrome-plated parts were instead made of polished stainless steel as some of the California 1100s came with. Not all bright parts were stainless, but the spokes wheel rims and exhaust were.

I am almost certain the dealer will offer no assistance except to refer you to a brand of chrome cleaner he sells. I suspect that Belgium has a lot more precipitation than I'm used to in Texas USA (we are under drought conditions and water use is restricted in many areas to in-home use, only) but I suspect that much of UK and EU have "generous" amounts of rainfall and accordingly more owner maintenance is essential for rust prevention. Is your bike kept indoors when done for the day, or at least do you have a waterproof cover for it? I hope that you'll keep us posted re the dealer's response. I'm not hopeful. Some old towels and a good chrome cleaner and perhaps a toothbrush for getting at some areas will be of benefit to you. I wish you well and I hope that the joy of owning a premium Guzzi will offset the extra cleaning that is required.

Ralph

I don’t have a Triumph; the one I did have (a 2016 Thruxton 865) was at least as well made as my V7 850 Special and was made in Thailand.
Just for the record I called Moto Guzzi main office and asked him where the v7 and the v9's are made and was told that some parts are made in China but the bike is made in Italy. Unlike triumph which the whole bike in made in Thailand.Enjoy your brit(Thailand) made junk!

Just for the record I called Moto Guzzi main office and asked him where the v7 and the v9's are made and was told that some parts are made in China but the bike is made in Italy. Unlike triumph which the whole bike in made in Thailand.Enjoy your brit(Thailand) made junk!
If you actually read my post properly instead of launching into an attack on a country you seem to know nothing about you’d know I no longer have my Thruxton. It certainly wasn’t junk. FYI Triumph set up the production facilities in Thailand and there are British ex-Hinckley staff there responsible for the QA process. At the time it was set up they replicated exactly the set-up in Hinckley. The latest Triumph 400 singles are made in India, that’s not part of China either by the way. Lots of other manufacturers have parts or whole bikes made in China and India. KTM, Benelli, RE, MV - now Chinese-owned. Well done for establishing that Moto Guzzis are made in Italy - who’d have thought it? Premium make? I wouldn’t say so; Triumph is considered a premium make in the UK, despite where they are assembled, as is Ducati and BMW and, yes, H-D (though parts of those are not made in Milwaukee these days). The V7 is built down to a price, not up to a standard. If it were it would have Brembo brakes all round, with Brembo discs and a be more expensive than it is. I wish it were, but it’s in a very competitive sector with the boom in retro classics and the Hipster scene.

My V7 850 Special has a Sunstar front disc, made in China. It is scrap at 3,500 miles because of undersized bobbins and I had to replace it at my own cost because the bike was two months out of warranty. OK, unlucky to have a bike with a bad batch - not enough for me to be put off as I bought it knowing it would need my input to become the bike it should have been. It doesn’t say much for Guzzi’s QA though, does it?

As for using it in the UK in winter unless the bike is properly prepared BEFORE being exposed to salt it will corrode in short order. The chrome is nothing like triple plate and will rust very quickly together with the fasteners and things like the alloy wheels. A lot of us, me included, simply don’t ride these sort of bikes (ie chromed “classic” type bikes) in winter when the roads have been treated. We use bikes that can withstand the onslaught of saline corrosion without dissolving into rust and prepare them beforehand with anti-rust treatment or just pick the occasional nice dry roads day to go for a ride.

The V7, V9 platform is the entry level for Moto Guzzi. That’s why they are so inexpensive compared to the flagship bikes. You get what you pay for gents.

Just in case you were asleep the last decade, we live in a global sourced economy worldwide now. Nothing, anywhere, is made from 100% local sourced products. Nothing.

This is a website for enthusiasts, not haters, so let’s all be friends shall we?

I cannot take credit for the ending of that last sentence.

If you are fortunate and lucky enough to obtain an invitation to visit the incomparable Bill and Kathi Hagan at their beautiful home and the Moto Grappa in Winchester, Virginia, at the conclusion of the blessing of the evening meal on the first day of your visit, Bill has a little tradition where at the point where “Amen” normally falls, we all while holding hands in gratitude and good will, vocalize together “Let’s all be friends”.

I find it to be absolutely divine, and I offered it here.

Let’s all be friends.

Last edited:
FWIW , on my 2018 Eldorado, the entire charging system is made in China , and if you want to see how low one can set the bar , check out the handlebar switches under their housings ! But , I really enjoyed that bike . (ps: I traded it in on a Triumph T120 :) ) Peter

I am noticing that everything chrome on my v7 special is already starting to rust,I'm using the bike to commute for about 2 months now.

Anybody else got some experience with their bike starting to rust so quickly?And how did you solve the problem if so?

Groetjes Diederik
I'm considering buying a V7 (maybe 2014 and up if I want 6 gears), out of curiosity, do you live near the sea? If you've had other bikes in the past of other brands, is this something you've experienced before? I went to see a 2009 V7 III with 16000km and the level of rust on it was a bit surprising considering how little it's been ridden. Had I not known, I could have easily thought the bike had over 150000km. The plastic on the indicators were turning white quite severely, and just about every bolt on the bike was rusted, inside of rear springs were rusted, and the chrome on the rims was also starting to pit.

Thanks!

I'm considering buying a V7 (maybe 2014 and up if I want 6 gears), out of curiosity, do you live near the sea? If you've had other bikes in the past of other brands, is this something you've experienced before? I went to see a 2009 V7 III with 16000km and the level of rust on it was a bit surprising considering how little it's been ridden. Had I not known, I could have easily thought the bike had over 150000km. The plastic on the indicators were turning white quite severely, and just about every bolt on the bike was rusted, inside of rear springs were rusted, and the chrome on the rims was also starting to pit.

Thanks!
That 2009 V7 will be 15 years old this year and although it's had little use it may also have had little maintenance and TLC.

That 2009 V7 will be 15 years old this year and although it's had little use it may also have had little maintenance and TLC.
100%, but I've bought 15 year old bikes with 5 time the km and they were still spotless. Stainless bolts and high quality chrome doesn't rust easy. The bike in this post is not 2 years old...so it made me question the quality of the finish on these Italian bikes. Probably buying a black out V7 and avoiding the chrome ones would be a good insurance policy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back