• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic 2009-2012 question

spadefoot

Just got it firing!
Good afternoon! I'm interested in becoming a MG owner, but I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can help me with:

A friend and I are shopping for a pair of V7 Classics, and we have come across a 2009, and a 2010, or we can order 2012's. Have there been any significant revisions over the years that would make a newer model more desirable (other than simply being newer)?

Thanks in advance!
Spadefoot

As John says, next year is when the changes are being made. I don't believe any changes were made from 2009 to 2011.

However, there is an attraction to 2009-2011 models. It has two throttle bodies (better performance) and lower compression (better longevity). The 2009-2011 model is set for more low-mid range torque, while the 2012 output is higher in the rev range. This is what it appears, but we've really got to see dyno charts to be sure.

Plus the 2008-2011 model has the same engine/frame as the previous 15+ years of the 750cc bikes, so spare parts are plentiful.

Joe

The Guzzi press release on the new 2012 engine actually says -
Compared with the previous engine, the new single-feed model provides more than 10% extra power and, above all, torque, with further reductions in fuel consumption and emissions.
Where do you get the information that the earlier engine has more mid range torque?

Brian UK said:
The Guzzi press release on the new 2012 engine actually says -
Compared with the previous engine, the new single-feed model provides more than 10% extra power and, above all, torque, with further reductions in fuel consumption and emissions.
Where do you get the information that the earlier engine has more mid range torque?

New engine has 42.8 ftlbs at 5,000 rpm.
Old engine has 40.3 ftlbs at 3,600 rpm.
They increased the torque, but the curve now peaks at 5,000 instead of 3,600. Engine design is often a compromise, sometimes taking from one area of the output curve to add on elsewhere. I.e. components are designed to maximize output at a certain rpm, which usually deducts from performance at other speeds.

For power, the old engine had 47.6 hp at 6,800 rpm, new engine claims 51 hp at 6,200 rpm.
Interesting that the hp peak is now lower! I'd really like to see the new bike put on a dynamometer.

Joe

you know what, forget about the engine difference, you wont even notice it. if you can find a 09 to 11 V7 leftover with a big discount (like 2o% or more) I would go for it unless you really want the new duel color or the flat black.

I would day go with a left over :D I have a 09 White of course :lol: Heading towards 19,000 miles of smiles, and the bike is basically stock. Just a change in crossover pipe and the can of charcoal is residing in my bottom workbench draw. :eek: :lol: And a sump spacer for more oil capacity. :D

Attachments

• DSCN1594.JPG
    DSCN1594.JPG
    297.5 KB · Views: 1,117
Hello Mate, dunno where you're from but in the UK there are now a few low milage V7s on the market now winter is nearly here. Maybe the same where you're based? I think they make a sound used buy as with a bit of luck any problems will have been sorted by now. I certainly won't be chopping mine in for one of the new models in the foreseeable future, got it how I like it and that's me sorted!

I have one of the first V7C's sold in the Pacific Northwest. I absolutely love it, but it really did not come into it's own until it had about 5k on the clock. Since then it has been even more of a delight to ride than when it was new.

If you can put up with the teething problems that are associated with a new bike, go for new.

If you want one that is well sorted out, look for a used one with 4-5k+ miles.

I ordered a new one for delivery in January, in black. My buddy ordered one in red at the same time. Now I'm counting the days.
Thanks again for the info/insights!

oldmanjob said:
I would day go with a left over :D I have a 09 White of course :lol: Heading towards 19,000 miles of smiles, and the bike is basically stock. Just a change in crossover pipe and the can of charcoal is residing in my bottom workbench draw. :eek: :lol: And a sump spacer for more oil capacity. :D

What change in the crossover pipe ? Why are the benefits of removing the charcoal can ? Thanks.

The main purpose of changing the crossover pipe is it makes it easier to get to the transmission drain plug when it comes time to change oil. Second it removes another muffler from the system improving exhaust note and improving throttle response. I went with the stucchi luigi crossover. As for the charcoal can it is only needed in California. One, it cleans up underneath the bike and for me there was an increase in performance, and ease of starting. If you are a tree hugger :lol: leave it on :lol: There are many opinions on these mods, but the bike will run fine in stock form.

Bill

oldmanjob said:
As for the charcoal can it is only needed in California. One, it cleans up underneath the bike and for me there was an increase in performance, and ease of starting.
Actually it is required for import in all of the USA and Canada. However it is an engineered intake (air) leak, and certainly the bike runs MUCH better once the leak is resolved.

The cross-tube/pipe replaces the large pre-muffler that runs under the transmission and connects both exhaust pipes. The original version is shown below (top) with the Mistral replacement below.

Attachments

• MG750-CrossTube.jpg
    MG750-CrossTube.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 542
Back