Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 Classic rear wheel not engaging at all

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by frocker, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. frocker

frocker Just got it firing!

Bike: 2008 V7 Classic

Hi folks,
    So I was riding along earlier today and experienced a sudden total loss of power to the rear wheel. I managed to coast to the side of the road and call a recovery truck.

The engine runs fine, but every gear behaves like it's in neutral. I can also hear a rattling coming from the rear of the block when the bike is rolled along.

Prior to this, the only issue I've been experiencing is the common shifting issues (difficulty finding neutral, clutch squeal etc.) when the engine is hot. But this was rectified by adjusting the cable.

My first thought is that the issues are probably related. Does this sound like it could be the failed clutch rod/throw out bearing? Or possibly the clutch itself is toast?

Going to start troubleshooting tomorrow, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be hugely appreciated. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to working on Guzzis.

Cheers,
    Felix

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Not throw out bearing or push rod. The clutch would be engaged. Possible the clutch is toast, but unlikely. Could be failed rear end from lack of oil, or broken drive shaft/u-joint, or failed gearbox shaft. Too many possibilities from the description.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Maybe something simple like linkage came off.

4. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

What linkage might that be ? Peter

5. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Gear change linkage.

6. kenrover

kenrover Just got it firing!

If it isn't the gear linkage, it may be output or drive shaft spines. Put it in gear and push the bike. If you can't push it, the splines are ok. If you can, they are toast.

Moto-Uno likes this.
  7. frocker

Cheers for the input guys, really helpful stuff. Seems I was totally barking up the wrong tree with the clutch.
    Guess my best bet is to start at the final drive and work my way forward.
    Will post an update with how I get on.

8. Moto-Uno

The first check might be to drain the rear drive box oil and see if there's any debris in it .
    After that , rear wheel removal to get the drive box off and then inspect the input splines
    and drive shaft splines . These are probably the easiest checks before going any deeper .
    Peter

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If momentum failed while riding, and the rear wheel still moves freely, I would suspect clutch failure based on your description. Most all other failure items would not allow it to roll, hence causing the rear wheel to lock at speed on you. How many km's do you have on your V7?

10. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

When that same thing happened to my V50, it was the three (yes, only 3) rivets holding the clutch plate together which had sheared.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  11. frocker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, looks like I've found the offending part. Drive shaft is in really bad shape!

Seems pretty unusual for a bike with 20k miles on it. Admittedley this is the first time I've had the swingarm off to inspect, so there might be some routine maintenence job I've totally neglected to do? Guess this could also be a sign of water ingress into the bellows, I do ride through winter in England which means a lot of rain and a lot of grit.

Either way, I guess it's just a case of ordering a replacement and greasing the hell out of it before it goes in. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice!

subin likes this.
  12. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

That looks as if it's been stored under water.
    Certainly no evidence of the drive shaft splines ever seeing grease.

Are you certain it's only done 20k miles?

13. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Funny, I was literally typing, looks like it lived at the bottom of a river bed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that bad.
    Thanks for posting @frocker - always good to see and have documented here.

14. Moto-Uno

I feel glad you didn't have to go any deeper ! Peter

15. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I think, given the state of that part, I would be concerned about the rest. Even bikes stored in barns and worse for 30 years look better.

john zibell likes this.
  16. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Shouldn’t part of the drive shaft have been getting oil on it from the rear ?
    It looks like it has seen oil in the past - but distant past!

17. Moto-Uno

If it's anything like the rear drive boxes on the Le Mans 2 , then the answer is no . In 250,000 km
    on mine the only lube that ever got on the splines came from my greasing them . Peter

18. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

That damage is more than lack of lubrication.

19. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

So thinking of the drive box - I would imagine that the oil in that unit would be splashing everywhere- no ?

20. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

The oil in the final drive box stays in the final drive box. The swingarm area where the driveshaft resides, between the final drive and the transmission, should be dry.