• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v7 classic - starting problems

chrisk

Tuned and Synch'ed
The bike's been sitting in the garage for 6-8 weeks, tried to start it but no luck. It catches when you first turn it over, but if you open the throttle it kills it. If you try it again same thing, a after a few goes it won't even catch.

It's always been a bit tricky, you really have to get it first or second time - press the starter with no throttle, then once it catches gently roll on the throttle and shes off.

I've now recharged the battery, same thing until the battery went flat, and even jumping it from my car, just doesn't want to start.

It's 18-20 degrees so I doubt it needs the choke. I'm wondering if I should change the petrol, I know it goes off but so soon?

Really P*s off. Any ideas ?

I used the Patrick Hayes solution outlined here
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/4908.html
on my breva a while back, it has fixed the hard starting completely for me. You may want to check and see if you are getting a big voltage drop at the starter.

Also if I leave my bike sitting for more than a couple of weeks the battery is likely to be low.

Have you had the new mapping done. When I first got mine it was hard starting, but after the mapping was done the problem was solved. Now turn the key to prime the Fi, shut it off and turn the key again, give it about 3/4 throttle hit the start button and it fires right up no matter what the temperature is.

Bill

What year/model is this? An older one with a carb, or one of the new fuel injected models?

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue, at least at first blush.

Mine is a 2009 version. The "Patrick Hayes" solution sounds like it's to do with turning the engine (no crank), mine turns fine, I agree that it's fuel.

Any details on the new mapping bill ? Is there a software release numbe etc ?

Thanks

I recently got the new map. It's called "Nevada" and then some other digits. It was loaded with the new factory approved computer, Navigator. Not sure if dealers stuck with the older Axone can load it.

Your starting problem sounds bigger than the minor tweaks the new mapping does. Perhaps the clue is that it starts, but dies when you try to give it throttle. Will it start and run if you spray starting fluid? That would indicate a fuel starvation issue.

I wouldn't say that it starts, just that it fires a few times, the instant I touch the throttle it stops firing. If I dont't touch the throttle it doesn't start either.

It's booked in with the dealer next week.

Bl*dy thing.

chrisk said:
I wouldn't say that it starts, just that it fires a few times, the instant I touch the throttle it stops firing. If I dont't touch the throttle it doesn't start either.

It's booked in with the dealer next week.

Bl*dy thing.
Wondering if your starting issue has been resolved, as I just noticed this thread this morning and I am having the identical problem with my 09 V7Classic.

I do have Mistral silencers and crossover fitted, but I don't think that would have a bearing on the starting circuit. I try starting (from cold) as per by the book: 'choke' on, hands off the throttle, key on, wait for fuel pump to pressurize, hit the starter button. Engine cranks over fine and fast, but only fires intermittenly. Ive tried all combinations of choke on -off, give it some throttle, give it no throttle, etc. Results always the same, takes 4-5 minutes of attempted starts before it will run without stalling.

It was back to a "dealer" yesterday for 600 mile service. They were no help. (It wasn't the dealer I bought the bike from, but one nearer my home. I'll never go there again, for other reasons, but that's another story)

Thannks for any input and I hope you've got yours sorted.

Hey, Got the same problem on mine too...and guess what???? The problem was the operator.....even if its 18 degres outside just put the choke all the way in.....it will start whatever is the outside temperature.....just dont use the choke if you used the bike within the last few hours.....sounds weird but it works....

Back