• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Custom Racer Project - A few questions..

serpent

Just got it firing!
Hey Guys,

I have just sold my last two bikes and am looking at a new project.
Nothing too serious, just a slightly custom, cafe racer-esque V7..
I don't really like the factory V7 racer, and am after something
more personal and gritty.

The closest thing I could find to what I am trying to do, would be:
[youtube]EDqTKRzYAUE[/youtube]

The list of things I would like to do:

* Ohlins rear suspension with external reservoir
* Clip on bars
* Tidy tail
* Custom exhaust (wrapped)
* Racer Wheels

My questions are:

* Would I be best to start with a cafe and build from there?
* I love the look of the factory racer seat, but really would like to be able to pillion,
is the seat long enough to do this? I don't want to be swapping seats over..
* What is the length of the rear shock? I need to find the Ohlins equivalent
* Are the racer wheels readily available? Or are there other after market alternatives?

Early days yet guys, but thought i'd open it up for discussion ;)

Cheers

If you buy the cafe and/or classic its will cost you extra money in the long run. For the $1,000 premium (new compared to new) with the V7R you get awesome rearsets, nice cafe seat, Bitubo resi rear shocks and red hub spoked wheels (if you are into that sort of thing).

Concur with the comments about starting with the V7 Racer. That extra grand gets you clip-ons and rearsets (required for a cafe in my book), some very nice detailing, and that red frame and wheel hubs. I bought my V7R because of that red frame. The T100 is nice and all, but its no cafe. Should've started with a Thruxton.

Yeh, I don't like the frame or tank on the V7R.

Also, I won't be buying new.. and the V7R has quite a large premium
over the standard Cafe (about $4000) in the used market..

serpent said:
Yeh, I don't like the frame or tank on the V7R.

Also, I won't be buying new.. and the V7R has quite a large premium
over the standard Cafe (about $4000) in the used market..

The frames and tanks are the same on the V7R/V7C. 2012 on up are metal prior are poly. The only difference is color.

Do what you like but consider doing the suspension at both ends. I find the rear suspension much better on my V7R than on my former V7 Café but the forks are unchanged - and not the greatest - on any of the current V7 small blocks.

Carl Allison said:
Do what you like but consider doing the suspension at both ends. I find the rear suspension much better on my V7R than on my former V7 Café but the forks are unchanged - and not the greatest - on any of the current V7 small blocks.
In fact it's pretty crucial to have a balanced suspension as far as spring rates and damping goes. I can offer a spring and emulator fork kit for all 750s. I'll try to get the kit on the Store today, or as always contact me direct for info/to order.

serpent said:
thanks guys.. what about the cafe seats? can they take two people? :dry:

Cafe and/or Racer seat is built for one person only. You can buy a V7 classic/stone seat that will switch out in seconds with any modifications needed. Well other than pillion pegs.

Finally figured out how to post pictures. I present to you my take on the V7R:

Attachments

• V7.jpg
    V7.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 566
  • V71.jpg
    V71.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 567
  • V72.jpg
    V72.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 566
Just an FYI, that swap out with the 2 up seat may take more than seconds. In my case, I had to remove 2 of the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat to get it to lock in properly.

Almost forgot, nice job on your Racer Perazzimix! Did you use a kit on your fender eliminator or was it DIY? If it was a kit, would you recommend and level of difficulty? Also, once done can you go back to full fender? I'm not sure if I'm going to go "full monty" on my bike but I'm curious about going "fenderless curious" :p

Perazzimx14 said:
Cafe and/or Racer seat is built for one person only. You can buy a V7 classic/stone seat that will switch out in seconds with any modifications needed. Well other than pillion pegs.
Finally figured out how to post pictures. I present to you my take on the V7R...
Nice job. You used Breva 750 wheels I assume?

tonUPRacer said:
Almost forgot, nice job on your Racer Perazzimix! Did you use a kit on your fender eliminator or was it DIY? If it was a kit, would you recommend and level of difficulty? Also, once done can you go back to full fender? I'm not sure if I'm going to go "full monty" on my bike but I'm curious about going "fenderless curious" :p

It is a fender eliminator kit from Cafe' Twin in the UK. It is very simple to install and comes with a LED brake/plate light. You need to provide turnsignals or use the stockers. I bough turnsignals I also bought electrial connectors that matched up to the factry plug under the right side panel and made my own wiring harness. So it is truly plug and play.

The whole thing on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably a 2 or 3. I also was in the midst of making my own FE and the Cafe' Twin one came up on another site for a reduced cost so it was just easier.

Todd,

Yes, they are Breva 750 wheels and here are the advantages:

Stock V7R spoked rear wheel - 15.8lbs (no tire, all bearings and dust seals)
Stock V7R spoked rear wheel - 17.8lbs (no tire, all bearings and dust seals factory innertube included)
Stock Breva 750 cast rear wheel - 14.6lbs (no tire, all bearings and dust seals)

Stock V7R spoked front wheel - 25.6lbs (Included disc, bearings, dust seals, factory Pirelli Sport Demon 18" tire and inntertube)
Stock Breva 750 cast front wheel 21.8lbs (Included disc, bearings, dust seals and New Pirelli Sport Demon 17" tire)

The weights of these wheels were done using a digital batthroom type scale. Basicaly it looks like in going to Breva 750 wheels I will loose 3.2lbs of unsprung weight up front and 3.8lbs in the rear.

Plus with the smaller front wheel the bike turns in a lot faster andd handles better.

Awesome Job!

Did you have to build any spacers for the Breva Wheels? to make them fit or space the front brake calipers or rear calipers or anything special or was it a simple swap?

Thanks
Chris

For the front wheel - An axle spacer was fabricated for right side of the axle it consists of a 5/8" long piece of 3/4" black steel pipe turned down to fit into the dust seal and a 3/4" washer. The two small spacers on the caliper mount were removed to allow the caliper to center over the disc.

Rear wheel - The interior spacer that is pressed into the drive was shortened by 1/8". You also have to fabricate a small 1/8" thick spacer for the left side of the axle. Basically you are shifting the wheel "right" 1/8", or you can use the Breva 750 spacer that is 1/8" shorter than the V7R spacer.

Back