• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

v7 first service

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi folks,

New to the forum, have had a 2013 v7 stone for a few months...love it. So, my dealer told me to come in for the first service at 1000 miles instead of 600, that it was "better for the bike." Anyone else get this from their dealer? Is this true? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I know it's an easy calculation but I always forget to do it...is the odometer reading miles or kilometers? The temp gauge reads celsius from the factory, and I feel like I haven't done as many miles as it says...or maybe I have. Thanks.

With the small block I don't think I would wait that long. Have it serviced by the service schedule in the owner's manual. Also closely monitor your oil level for the fist few thousand miles as they tend to consume oil. As for the Celsius / Km issue I'm not familiar with the new dash setup. Hopefully someone can help you there. What is in the owner's manual on interacting with the dash?

The odometer/speedometer is in miles. Its based on the market its sold in and cannot be changed. You can change C to F, though. The procedure is in the manual, but its not quite right. You need to hold the two buttons down BEFORE you turn on the key. After that, just follow the book.

To set the thermometer, Hold both buttons down while turning the key on, It will say EUR, press the left button until is says USA, then push the right button and hold until it says OFF. Turn the key off and it is now set.

Marc

I really can't stand dealers who make BS claims like that with no empirical support for it.

I notice you're in Baltimore, the closest dealer to you has a VERY bad reputation for quality of work with regards to the Guzzi brand so be careful.

Personally I'm not one who thinks you need to service a bike (or car, or truck) MORE frequently than the manufacturer recommends, but I can't see one possible reason why anyone would benefit from waiting almost double the mileage for the break-in service.

john zibell said:
Also closely monitor your oil level for the fist few thousand miles as they tend to consume oil.

FWIW - from all the reports I'm seeing (and from my own experience in the first 3500 miles so far) the NEW Smallblocks seem to have greatly reduced oil consumption when compared to the previous iterations. YMMV of course, so I agree with the advice to closely monitor it to be sure.

Kev M said:
I really can't stand dealers who make BS claims like that with no empirical support for it.

I notice you're in Baltimore, the closest dealer to you has a VERY bad reputation for quality of work with regards to the Guzzi brand so be careful.

Personally I'm not one who thinks you need to service a bike (or car, or truck) MORE frequently than the manufacturer recommends, but I can't see one possible reason why anyone would benefit from waiting almost double the mileage for the break-in service.

Thanks for the heads up and info everyone. If we're talking about the only Guzzi dealer in Maryland, which I'm assuming we are...is there anywhere near Baltimore you would recommend for servicing? Thanks.

Per the maintenance book that came with my 2013 V7, the first service is at 600 miles and includes an oil change. That's probably designed to get rid of any contamination from the manufacturing process. An oil and filter change is pretty simple and thus something most owners can do on their own. There is very little left for the 600 mile service since you only have one throttle body, no chain, no belts, and a very simple valve train. Change your own oil/filter and motor on. The bike is delightful and simple.

Peter Y.

I plan on doing my first service and all the others. The only dealer around wants a huge cash outflow to do the service is the main reason why.

The manual that came with mine shows this for the 2013 V7.

Engine oil and filter.
Gear box oil
Final drive oil
Re-torque heads
Adjust valves
Inspect steering head bearing adjustment
Inspect all vital systems.

I also like to keep detailed records on bikes and track the valve gaps to see if they are changing.

So it seems to be a bit more than a simple oil change. ???? :D

The only time I was advised, and I believe properly so, was on my KTM 950 adventure. The dealer said that the valves did not actually settle down until around 1000 miles as he had done many of these bikes. The Guzzi will get the initial service at 600 by the book.

Marc

Marc,

If you know how to do all those items in the service then go for it. Be sure to annotate that you did the service.

francod123 said:
Kev M said:

Thanks for the heads up and info everyone. If we're talking about the only Guzzi dealer in Maryland, which I'm assuming we are...is there anywhere near Baltimore you would recommend for servicing? Thanks.

I'm told very good things about Europa Macchina in Lewisberry PA between Harrisburg and Baltimore.

http://www.europamacchina.co.uk/home.html

I think they are the closest (competent) dealer to you.

lomax said:
I plan on doing my first service and all the others. The only dealer around wants a huge cash outflow to do the service is the main reason why.

The manual that came with mine shows this for the 2013 V7.

Engine oil and filter.
Gear box oil
Final drive oil
Re-torque heads
Adjust valves
Inspect steering head bearing adjustment
Inspect all vital systems.

I also like to keep detailed records on bikes and track the valve gaps to see if they are changing.

So it seems to be a bit more than a simple oil change. ???? :D

The only time I was advised, and I believe properly so, was on my KTM 950 adventure. The dealer said that the valves did not actually settle down until around 1000 miles as he had done many of these bikes. The Guzzi will get the initial service at 600 by the book.

Marc

MEHHHH, not really, it's a glorified oil change with a head torque (seriously no big deal) and valve clearance adjustment.

Sure it says to "inspect all vital systems" but in theory doesn't the MSF say to do that BEFORE EVERY RIDE TOO ;)

Kev M said:
francod123 said:
Kev M said:

I'm told very good things about Europa Macchina in Lewisberry PA between Harrisburg and Baltimore.

http://www.europamacchina.co.uk/home.html

I think they are the closest (competent) dealer to you.

That's exactly where I decided to go after doing some research, and I've only read good things about them too. Only a little over an hour away anyway up 83 north...it will make for a nice trip on back roads though probably. Thanks again.

Kev M said:
MEHHHH, not really, it's a glorified oil change with a head torque (seriously no big deal) and valve clearance adjustment.

Sure it says to "inspect all vital systems" but in theory doesn't the MSF say to do that BEFORE EVERY RIDE TOO ;)

I basicly agree and that is why I refuse to pay the dealer $800 to do it. :eek:

My only point was that it is not just an engine oil change. :whistle:

Marc

Europa Macchina in Lewisberry, Pa is one of the best dealers around. Thanks for the recommendation. They are ridiculously accommodating and friendly...so personable. They performed the first service on my bike with no problems, and the price was not bad at around $300. Dennis and Lori are wonderful people. Anyone in the Maryland, D.C., PA ,Virginia area, definitely check them out. Their shop is filled with all kinds of neat cars and old motorcycles, etc.

Before I rode off on my v7 to head back down to Baltimore, I had to test ride the new Griso. I've only been riding a few months as the V7 is my first bike. Holy crap, the Griso is a beast. I prefer classic styling like the V7 but I am definitely smitten with the Griso too. I didn't want to bring it back to the dealer...awesome machine.

Hello all,

I picked up a V7R in June for my first bike and have almost 800 miles on it now. I realize I am past due for the break in service but the dealer is a good ways away and I don't usually trust someone else to fix my car anyway, let alone a bike.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide for performing the first service on a 2013 V7? I have no trouble getting my hands dirty but I have not been able to locate any thorough directions for inspecting or adjusting valve clearance or changing the transmission fluid.

With that in mind, I am considering ordering a copy of the 2013 service manual from AF1Racing, does anyone know if this is actually the 2013 version, the image on their site appears to show a different model on the cover, as does the 2013 engine manual.

Any other service tips are also appreciated :)

Thanks!
Jason

Racer415 said:
Hello all,

I picked up a V7R in June for my first bike and have almost 800 miles on it now. I realize I am past due for the break in service but the dealer is a good ways away and I don't usually trust someone else to fix my car anyway, let alone a bike.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide for performing the first service on a 2013 V7? I have no trouble getting my hands dirty but I have not been able to locate any thorough directions for inspecting or adjusting valve clearance or changing the transmission fluid.

With that in mind, I am considering ordering a copy of the 2013 service manual from AF1Racing, does anyone know if this is actually the 2013 version, the image on their site appears to show a different model on the cover, as does the 2013 engine manual.

Any other service tips are also appreciated :)

Thanks!
Jason

Hey Jason,

Congrats on the bike. I just got a new v7 stone in June as well. On the guzzitech homepage, at the very top, you'll see a tab that says 'downloads.' There you'll find the 2013 manual for the v7. Assuming you don't mind just a digital copy.

I am finally going to get around to doing the 600 miles service on my 2013 V7R in a couple of weeks. I know that when you torque the heads you are supposed to loosen the bolts and torque them. Now a silly question. Do you loosen ALL the head bolts and then torque, or loosen one at a time and torque ?

Thanks.

Marc

lomax said:
I am finally going to get around to doing the 600 miles service on my 2013 V7R in a couple of weeks. I know that when you torque the heads you are supposed to loosen the bolts and torque them. Now a silly question. Do you loosen ALL the head bolts and then torque, or loosen one at a time and torque ?

Thanks.

Marc

Marc,
You loosen all the bolts, then tighten in a criss-cross pattern. I wrote a tutorial here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/sets/72157627672086548/

Joe

Back