• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Frame Sliders

Kev M

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've always preferred to have some form of crash bar or cylinder protector on my bikes and they've paid for themselves at times.

But as much as I don't mind the look of crash bars on some bikes I've started to embrace the more minimalist look of frame sliders in some applications.

Considering that my new Stone is going to be decked out with HBs, I easily could have gotten away with crash bars. But I saw some sliders from Over Racing in Japan and thought to myself WOW, that's looks pretty good. I bet a number of the V7R guys would like this solution, ESPECIALLY since the new valve cover design precludes the use of the head mounted guards.

They're available in one or two different styles/mounts. My wife Jenn decided to order a set for me for X-mass and opted for the slightly more expensive but beefier set. I think along with an inexpensive pair of goggles (ordered so she'd make the free shipping) they came to about $400. Not a cheap solution, but again, kinda neat - smaller, lighter.

This is nicest – AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'VE REDUCED THE PRICE SLIGHTLY FROM - $352 - to $311

http://japan.webike.net/products/20310046.html

These are the cheapest at $275 (but they don't look at sturdy)

http://www.satoracing.com/framesliders_motoguzziV7.htm

Ironically the first guys also sell the same ones and have reduced their price on that too from $314 to $278 (almost the same as Sato)

http://japan.webike.net/products/20890873.html

Shortly after installation I realized that the NEW SINGLE THROTTLE BODY MOTOR appeared to have thicker/wider jugs and therefore the stock width of the sliders which was FINE for the dual-throttle body motors might be insufficient for the new V7 Stone/Special/Racer editions.

My solution was relatively simple - I had a local machine shop cut me two new spacers about 25mm in length and the same thickness as the center part of the slider mounts, I think it was about 30mm in diameter. Along with a longer mounting bolt it extended the sliders just enough to better protect the cylinders but helped to keep them from becoming a visual eyesore. I'll have to take a better photo of the overall bike to show how they still seem to disappear into the overall look.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here are some shots detailing the before and after changes to the mounts. Please excuse the poor photography and quickly cobbled-together photoshop. It was the easiest way to get multipe shots uploaded to one source. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

OverRacingSliders.jpg

Here's a close-up 3/4 shot after the spacers were installed.

RightSideWthSpacerB.jpg

Here's a shot BEFORE the spacers were installed, I'll replace it with a new one as soon as I can, but honestly, this view really hasn't changed appreciably and it gives you an idea how small the sliders really are visually.

2012-12-01_14-00-08_822a.jpg

Kev, nice job... thanks for posting. I'll be curious to hear about a post crash test (not you hopefully). I was a slight fan of them at first, but I've repaired bikes where they did more damage then good. I can't clearly tell, what are they bolted to? Lower frame or just the engine cases?

Hey Todd,

Yup, as I've said, I hope I never get to report on their effectiveness.

To answer your question, the slider and spacers all bolt to an aluminum plate mount.

The mount is then bolted to the frame using longer versions of the upper-to-lower frame joining bolts.

I would THINK that the aluminum of the mount itself would fail before the frame was damaged.

But like I've suggested on the subject at other forums (WG), I also suspect that once you start talking about those kinds of speeds/impacts all bets are off anyway and the bike might be totaled regardless.

These, like crash bars, are really just in case you have a standing or low speed OOOOOPPPPPPsssss.

Back