• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Horsepower & Performance?

ChupaThingy

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hey guys!

I've had my '14 stone coming up 2 years now. :cool:
Overall its been an excellent ride, easy to maintain, nice torque, and good balance.. but I find myself wanting to squeeze more out of the engine. I'm relatively new to modding and am not too sure where to start, but considered going with some shorter pipes, re-flash and try it out.
How would the shorter pipes affect the engines performance? I've currently got full mistral pipes and silencers w/ removable baffles and have noticed a significant difference on the throttle response with the baffles in, and out.
From what I've read the stock v7 engine is pushing around 50hp 44ftlb of torque. Is there any effective way to get more out of the bike? I've heard that there is a race map for the V7's, but the dealer near me charges $300 for the flash. What does something like that do exactly, and is it worth the money?

any opinions or advice would been much appreciated!

CT

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I've had my '14 stone coming up 2 years now. :cool:
Overall its been an excellent ride, easy to maintain, nice torque, and good balance.. but I find myself wanting to squeeze more out of the engine. I'm relatively new to modding and am not too sure where to start, but considered going with some shorter pipes, re-flash and try it out.
How would the shorter pipes affect the engines performance? I've currently got full mistral pipes and silencers w/ removable baffles and have noticed a significant difference on the throttle response with the baffles in, and out.
From what I've read the stock v7 engine is pushing around 50hp 88ftlb of torque. Is there any effective way to get more out of the bike? I've heard that there is a race map for the V7's, but the dealer near me charges $300 for the flash. What does something like that do exactly, and is it worth the money?

any opinions or advice would been much appreciated!

CT
Only way to see any real difference is the big bore kit that guzzitech offers. Guzzitech has a reflash to make it run better with nice torque, I have a reflash along with the 2 into 1 pipes and it's plenty powerful enough for my likes. Email them or look on the forums its all been discussed.

If you want more power from a V7 Todd has two great options. The easier option is the big bore kit, the harder more expensive option is the 4 valve per cylinder head plus the big bore kit.
There are other things you can do, like pipes, reflashing or other wise adjusting the fueling, and improving airflow into the motor. But those aren't going to make a massive difference in power. They can make the bike run better, especially improving the fueling, but if you really want noticeably more power I don't think they will get you there. Todds two options sound pretty nice and seem like a fairly straight forward way to make your V7 faster. Improving the fueling will make your V7 run better, but not so much faster. Pipes and intake improvements are likely to make your V7 "FEEL" faster but probably won't make a large difference in real power. You may see a small improvement from pipes and intake mods, but don't expect large increases in power output from them as the stock systems aren't that big a restriction.
That said, sometimes just "FEELING" faster is enough. I am a big fan of the two into one option, and Todds reflash tends to improve the one part of the equation that in stock form is less than good.
There is a lot already posted on here about the different options.

As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement. It may be time to move up to a big block Guzzi.

Before you spend any money I suggest you find someone that has a 8v Griso and see if they will let you ride it. If that is the increase in power that you want to try and achieve from the v7 it just won't happen. A lot of times it is cheaper to buy a second bike to scratch that itch than to sink wallet full of money on a bike and still not be happy with it.

Standard V7 is about 42hp, not 50hp. Mine with Mistrals is 43hp on a dyno.

And I totally agree with what is said above - look at a Griso / Breva for the easiest way to get more power (and weight...)

AndyB

Words of wisdom & good advice. Griso's are coming down in price right now & both the 1100 & the 1200 are great fun.

If you look at used 1200's look at 2013 & newer models that have the roller set up.

I do like the big block Guzzi's, but I am not as impressed with the new 8 valve as some others.
I also think sticking with a V7 small block motor is feasible IF you are realistic about your goals.
I like making motors run better than they do stock, and the V7 motor is a decent candidate for that. But it will never, as mentioned, make big block power. I do not automatically assume that if you want more power from a small block that you expect big block power, but it you do you will be disappointed.
Simply changing to different mufflers is not really going to make a difference in power. Getting the fueling sorted, like what Todd offers, may make a small increase in the amount of power but you will likely see a bigger improvement in quality of power. Todd also has the big bore kit and has been involved in a 4 valve per cylinder conversion as well. The big bore kit is in his store, not sure about the 4 valve conversion. Look into Todds store and maybe even contact him.
The small block has been around for a long while. There are a few good ways to get more power out of them. You will never get massive amounts of power from a small block but you can get more power from them.

Totally agree with Guzzi Moto it is all about what a person expects & what a machine can deliver.

Back