• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 II Engine Mod...

REDHEADBOXER

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Ok, Todd don't slap me too hard for asking this, but... Say one were to buy the new V7 II coming out with all the new bells and whistles ie... Traction control, ABS, 6 Speed etc...

Can you get that little 744cc motor and turn it into a 1000cc bike, producing close to 100 hp and at least 75 - 85 lbs of torque, WITHOUT losing traction control, abs, etc...

If so how would you do it? I am selling a highly mod'ed custom Thruxton in favor of the new Guzzi. I love the Cafe Racer bikes, always have. Yes, my H-D Street Bob serves a different purpose, now I would like to add an Italian to the stable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I should note, I spent ridiculous amounts on both my bikes in upgrading them. I am not interested in hearing why don't I just go buy a different bike! I like what I like and I also like a challenge, thanks guys!

Cheers

I bought and installed a big bore kit from R.E.M. in Italy. Enlarged the engine to 820cc. It was a great exercise, but solving the fueling was a chore. Unlike a carb bike, you just can't replace the jets.

Can you get that little 744cc motor and turn it into a 1000cc bike, producing close to 100 hp and at least 75 - 85 lbs of torque, WITHOUT losing traction control, abs, etc... If so how would you do it
Hey Fred, in short, no way, no how, no matter how much money you throw at it, even with the biggest of bores. Our friend @mwrenn just completed a 4V head swap, which I'll be doing the same (thanks to him!)... but max power without it being fragile would likely be in mid-60's, max. This motor, as I've mentioned, started life a 350cc engine, so the fact that it lives as a 750 is impressive. The heads are the weak link... unless you find a Guzzi drone motor like our friend @Chuck in Indiana did. 4V heads, 820cc kit, Carillo rods and cam might do slightly better then what I quote, but not a ton more.

I bought and installed a big bore kit from R.E.M. in Italy. Enlarged the engine to 820cc. It was a great exercise, but solving the fueling was a chore. Unlike a carb bike, you just can't replace the jets.
Fuel and timing solutions are easy for me... did you ever dyno it?

Thanks Guys, so the max is the max kind of disappointing but still sexy enough bike to over look the inadequacies of power, which I'm attracted too. Haha

Has anyone ever replaced the engine with a new used engine from a beast of yesterday and paired it to the modern drivetrain and such???

Last edited:
Has anyone ever replaced the engine with a new used engine from a beast of yesterday and paired it to the modern drivetrain and such???
As a "small block," the only new/used engine would be smaller in displacement. The big block motors will not fit into this frame... and at that point, our friend at Radical Guzzi is doing what you speak of, which I know you've seen.

I keep forgetting you told be it started as a 350cc. :)
As for the guys in Germany, yes they are doing cool stuff but, I would like to keep the modern components, ie. traction control, ABS etc.

I think this would be a cool long term project, Todd... Hahaha

did you ever dyno it?

I'm going to dyno it this spring. It'll be interesting.

Previously I lost some time due to a low-side that broke two bones.

I attacked the fueling issue with a MyECU from Australia, a replacement ECU that let's you adjust every engine parameter. It's a great system, but it's only for the "old" pre-13 engines.

Hmmm....if you had lots of money....you just might be able to engineer a four valve head for a small block....that uses double overhead cams. Something like the Griso 8V. That would at least let you rev it to 10k maybe. Horsepower being a function of rpm, the numbers would get up there. I've been kicking around that idea myself, getting rid of the limitations inherent in the pushrod actuated valve train.
No real point it doing it, my bike runs freakin great the way it is, but it would be a fun way to spend some money....LOL.

Just for inspirational purposes, here's a two valve SOHC V65, 13,500 rpm, makes a claimed 100 hp. How fun would that be!!! I understand that the next step is to make it a dry sump engine...

Moto GuzziV35 8v Racer Mandello A little more info, and a picture so you can get a good look at it: Small block, V65 crankshaft, Pankl connecting rods, 81mm Suzuki Hayabusa modified pistons (so, 660 cm3 displacement), custom made 2 valves heads with single overhead camshaft and trapezoidal combustion chamber, Dell'Orto PHM 40mm carburetors,
Built by a local (of Mandello) group of enthusiasts and engineers. The bike weighs about 130kg, and the engine delivers around 100 hp at 13500 rpm.
Freddy, you know you need to build one like this right? its the right thing to do, things would just be better if this engine existed in a V7 Racer in Cali.
I'm just sayin man.

Last edited:
Mwrenn, I give you credit for uncovering that. It is one crazy machine.
Yeah, I'd like to see that in person. I have been seriously considering a Griso 8v setup, scaled down for the small block, just to see if it could be done. Apprently the bottom end holds up to high rpms ok...LOL

Back