• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Racer Clutch Sensor Cable - What's the purpose?

Beau1K

Tuned and Synch'ed
What does this cable do? Just tell the display to put a "--" on the dash while the lever is pulled in? Any downsides to disconnecting it? I'd still very much like to know what gear I'm in when the lever is pulled in actually!

I believe the clutch position sensor works with the side stand sensor to be sure that you can only start the bike with the clutch engaged when the transmission is in neutral, and can only engage the clutch with the engine running when the side stand is up.

I'm not sure what else the ECU does with the signal.

I believe the ECU calculates the gear indication by the state of the neutral sensor vs wheel rotation speed vs engine speed. It's dynamic. The calculation is probably not deterministic when the transmission is disconnected from the rear drive, except when in neutral because there's a discrete sensor for that.

So when the bike is in neutral and on the side stand I can start it without holding the clutch in.

So you are saying that if I have the side stand up, and the cable is removed, if I were to stall for example...I couldn't restart unless the side stand is down?

I haven't had the chance to head to the garage and give it a go.

So...side stand up, bike is in gear...I stall...I need to put the bike into neutral before it would start vs. if the cable were connected I could be in gear as long as the lever was pulled in right?

Yeah it doesn't work lol. I'm just thinking about swapping out the whole lever and perch setup but what I'm looking at has no hole for the sensor so I'm contemplating the issues if I run it disconnected. Basically it's only that if I stall I won't be able to restart the bike unless I'm in neutral...maybe not a big deal.

It would be a big deal for me. If I manage to stall my bike, I might want to be able to start it immediately. this is more important to me than some replacement lever that won't take the clutch switch. But each to their own.

It would be a big deal for me. If I manage to stall my bike, I might want to be able to start it immediately. this is more important to me than some replacement lever that won't take the clutch switch. But each to their own.

Yeah this is the concern. This functionality needs to be maintained.

I see no reason whatever to disable or modify things like this. The starting/run/sidestand lockouts have indeed saved my stupid butt on a couple of occasions. :worried:

Buy a lever that fits the right bits for the bike, if you feel you must have a new lever. Levers are not rocket science and there are several options.

The stock levers fit my hands pretty well and I can just leave them alone. My only desire is to try a pair of shorties because I would find it more comfortable to be able to control the throttle while reaching for the brake lever that way ... but it's surely not completely necessary. :)

Yeah this is the concern. This functionality needs to be maintained.
Wouldn't you be able to bypass this function by either making or breaking the circuit, as appropriate? On my thruxton, I did away with the clutch switch by making the bike think its in neutral all the time.

The only downside is that if you hit the starter while in gear, then you are launched forward. Hasn't happened in over a decade, so I guess that isn't much of a downside. But I'm old and used to riding machines with few safety interlocks, so I don't rely on them.

Back