• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III vs BMW R nine T?

I know this is an old thread but the obvious fact is that an R9T compared to any late V7 is a perfect example of a ridiculous comparison is almost every way.

I've not owned or ridden the R9T but I've seen a few and admire them despite the price. I currently ride a V7III and after 6500 flawless miles it is the most satisfying scooter I've owned over the last 50 years.

I've heard many horror stories about dealers for EVERY make, especially BMW and Guzzi. I'm fortunate to have a great Moto Guzzi shop just across town so I'll just keep riding this soulful piece of Italian tradition and consider myself blessed.
Agree that every make and every dealer has horror stories. That's sorta why i'm brand agnostic....you have to end up loving the dealer as much as the bike imho. Esp. if there's only one dealer (in my case the guzzi....the bmw's have dealers everywhere in DC lol)

I know this is an old thread but the obvious fact is that an R9T compared to any late V7 is a perfect example of a ridiculous comparison is almost every way.

I've not owned or ridden the R9T but I've seen a few and admire them despite the price. I currently ride a V7III and after 6500 flawless miles it is the most satisfying scooter I've owned over the last 50 years.

I've heard many horror stories about dealers for EVERY make, especially BMW and Guzzi. I'm fortunate to have a great Moto Guzzi shop just across town so I'll just keep riding this soulful piece of Italian tradition and consider myself blessed.
As for the comparison, as the OP noted, sometimes you find yourself choosing between an apple and an orange. That's where I'm at. As I see it, it's a choice that calls to question the pros and cons of a few items that folks on this forum might have some advice about:

>having 2x the horsepower in congested city conditions
>both medium sized bikes, but one that while wide has a sig. lower center of gravity (again, lots of lane splitting conditions to consider)
>reliability and durability while getting the snot kicked out of it every day by other drivers, weather, would be thieves, etc.
>versatility for pillions, cargo, etc.
>versatility to leave the city and go out for a weekend away or something like that

any insight to the above would be great!

Wondering if @Maj Steve Trevor ever made a choice. Going through the same decision tree in DC as well, with similar riding circumstances. 90% of my riding is in the city proper, 5% in the burbs, and 5% further afield. I've been on an Enfield GT 535 for the last 7 years or so....and while I love the machine and the engine is still great, everything else about the bike is starting to die the death brought on from exposure to the elements, living on city streets, driving on city streets. My sensibilities beg me to restore the bike, but it's hard to find people willing to do that sort of work (I myself only do oil changes and basic servicing).

Thinking about signing up on riders-share to test a Guzzi, as the local dealer in DC doesn't do test rides. On arrogance, I find this dealer very high on the list. The line they gave me was "well, people don't test drive Teslas and the buy them all the time." (Their shop is always messy, too, which became a turn-off to me during my days of vintage scootering. Charming at first...but then really just a symptom of disorganization lol).

In contrast, the BMW dealer I've worked with here is fantastic and they are also my current mechanic for my GT. They've always been very honest with their service work and their dealership side has been very chill. I've driven the R nine at the dealer and enjoyed it. I also rented an F series BMW in Spain to do some touring...and enjoyed the brand's take on engineering.

Based on the fact that part of bike ownership is the dealer relation, I'm inclined to go with an R Nine T just for this reason. But wanted to hear from some guzzi lovers and, particularly, Major Steve if he's still on this forum!
Hey, yes, I ended up going with a V7III Stone S. I was never able to find an R9T to test ride, and I finally succumbed to the gorgeous gas tank on the Stone S. I been very happy with it. I've done several mods to get it to where I want it, including several Guzzitech parts and minor performance mods (DNA filter, reflash, etc) as well as some wiiiide handlebars, and will attach some pictures here.

You're in DC is that right? I am just over the line in Takoma Park MD. If you feel like trying out my V7III I'd be happy to meet up and trade a ride on it for a ride on your GT 535. I used to own an RE classic 500 and I actually really like those engines. Send me a DM if you want to talk more.

BTW, is it La Moto Washington in Arlington that you've talked with..? That's where I got mine and they let me do a long test ride. Perhaps they've changed that; they do seem a little sketchy in a lot of ways. I know others have had bad experiences with them, but it worked out okay for me. But a much better dealership is Moto Richmond if you have a chance to go down there. They are very generous with test rides and seem to have a good shop. I went there for my first service rather than sticking with La Moto.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG-4329.jpg
    IMG-4329.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-4140.jpg
    IMG-4140.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4098.jpg
    IMG-4098.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-4094.jpg
    IMG-4094.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 7
Buy the BMW. You’ll be happier.

Not because the BMW is better or the Moto Guzzi is worse.

It’s because you require a dealership for support and quite frankly, you obviously don’t have that where you are.

Unless you are prepared to function as your own mechanic (which is very difficult on the V7/V85/V9 platform), or you are willing to transport your motorcycle to another dealer like Moto Richmond, then the facts demand you go with BMW to get this critical support.

That’s the nail in this coffin lid and my 2 cents of opinion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how relevant this may be , but here in B.C , the Moto-guzzi V7 model are just
a hair over $10,000 and the BMW R9 are over $18,000 Canadian ! This is not loose change ,
and for many a definite deal breaker ! Heck the tax difference alone is an extra $1200.00
Peter , the eternal Scotsman :) !

The local dealer had one of these just inside the doors when you walked in, quite a lovely machine to look at, but I’m cheap and didn’t think it would be practical or comfortable for longer rides :wasntme:
019662EB 6461 4F18 A50E 8567D92420A6
I’m far from being 20 again…

( There is one in Victoria -

2019 BMW R nineT Racer​

$15,050.00 )​

Last edited:
I looked at the cafe racer and rode a scrambler during a BMW demo event a few years ago. It was hard to keep my credit card in my pocket after riding the scrambler, but I am glad I did because I found the V85TT last year. I might have ordered a cafe racer if I wasn’t riding the R1150RS, but the RS is much more practical and more comfortable.

I'm not sure how relevant this may be , but here in B.C , the Moto-guzzi V7 model are just
a hair over $10,000 and the BMW R9 are over $18,000 Canadian ! This is not loose change ,
and for many a definite deal breaker ! Heck the tax difference alone is an extra $1200.00
Peter , the eternal Scotsman :) !
ha yea, 18k is a whole other category to my mind.

Hey, yes, I ended up going with a V7III Stone S. I was never able to find an R9T to test ride, and I finally succumbed to the gorgeous gas tank on the Stone S. I been very happy with it. I've done several mods to get it to where I want it, including several Guzzitech parts and minor performance mods (DNA filter, reflash, etc) as well as some wiiiide handlebars, and will attach some pictures here.

You're in DC is that right? I am just over the line in Takoma Park MD. If you feel like trying out my V7III I'd be happy to meet up and trade a ride on it for a ride on your GT 535. I used to own an RE classic 500 and I actually really like those engines. Send me a DM if you want to talk more.

BTW, is it La Moto Washington in Arlington that you've talked with..? That's where I got mine and they let me do a long test ride. Perhaps they've changed that; they do seem a little sketchy in a lot of ways. I know others have had bad experiences with them, but it worked out okay for me. But a much better dealership is Moto Richmond if you have a chance to go down there. They are very generous with test rides and seem to have a good shop. I went there for my first service rather than sticking with La Moto.

Good luck!
Maj Steve ... I went with the R Nine today! Hopefully we meet on the road in Takoma Park some time to do a trade ride!

Opposite of your story: Never found a guzzi to test ride (it was La Moto....and in my previous scooter life years ago it was the same sort of not-so-great experiences that I had as when I was talking to them about a possible Guzzi).

And then I stumbled on a deal for the R Nine. Agree with @scottmastrocinque that the dealer and mechanic relationship is a huge part of the equation. And then after my second spin on the R Nine today I really felt like it handled most like the enfield I was used to...but with all the modern finesse that I was considering in a new bike. It felt right. So it goes.

Thanks for all your thoughts Guzzi lads!

As an owner of both BMW and Moto Guzzi, I am sure you would be happy with either one. Congratulations on the new R Nine T. Enjoy!

Maj Steve ... I went with the R Nine today! Hopefully we meet on the road in Takoma Park some time to do a trade ride!

Opposite of your story: Never found a guzzi to test ride (it was La Moto....and in my previous scooter life years ago it was the same sort of not-so-great experiences that I had as when I was talking to them about a possible Guzzi).

And then I stumbled on a deal for the R Nine. Agree with @scottmastrocinque that the dealer and mechanic relationship is a huge part of the equation. And then after my second spin on the R Nine today I really felt like it handled most like the enfield I was used to...but with all the modern finesse that I was considering in a new bike. It felt right. So it goes.

Thanks for all your thoughts Guzzi lads!
Congrats! Yes, it’d be fun to go for a ride sometime..

Back