• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Plastic vs. Metal Tanks

Kev M

Cruisin' Guzzisti
In case any of you guys don't make it over to WildGuzzi, thought I'd post some new interesting information.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=60102.0

For some time many owners of 2012 US 2 Throttle Body Motor V7s with Metal Tanks thought they had tanks that were the same size as the previous plastic models (3.98 US Gal / 15L).

However when Guzzi started to make some new larger Metal Tanks (5.8 US Gal / 22L) available for warrantly replacement of plastic units people became suspicious that they would have made a one-year only metal tank just for the US.

Once they realized you could mount the new larger tanks we just couldn't find a reason why they would have come up with a third tank.

Some WG members with 2012 2TB models and metal tanks took some external (girdth) measurements that demonstrated they ACTUALLY HAD the larger tanks but DIDN'T KNOW IT because the dang low fuel lights come on so damn early.

SO if you've got a US 2012 2TB model with a metal tank, Merry Christmas, it looks like you've got a 5.8 Gal / 22L tank even if your low fuel light is coming on a low 3.something gal mark.

And if you've got a plastic tank and would like to swap it for a metal or larger capacity one all it's going to take is some money and you can get both!

That thread exemplifies the reasons for my absence on that forum.

From the 2012 V7 Racer owner's manual:

man1ov.jpg

man2a.jpg

MG already told us how big the tank is.

Wait, your owner's manual shows conflicting information - i.e. it still lists the 3.96 gallon capacity and then ALSO lists the new 5.5 gallon capacity.

And considering all the conflicting info that has been published in Moto Guzzi manuals over the past decade or two, you are surprised that some didn't blindly follow conflicting published specs?

:lol:

ANYWAY, that thread shows a bunch of people looking into the subject and TWO OWNERS of 2012 US 2TB models that were surprised by the fact that their tanks are that big.

Sounds like it was useful to some.

Sorry if you already knew it.

Wait - didn't YOU think your 2012 had a small tank too:

[quote author=pokeyjoe link=topic=57565.msg873640#msg873640 date=1349749282]
I have a 2012 with a metal tank. According to the manual, it holds 3.96 gallons and, based on my experience so far, that sounds about right.

:?

Just curious when people are hitting the reserve on the larger tank. It has been pretty consistant at 175 +/- for me.

Glad I don't have to deal with a plastic tank.

TB_zps0622a28f.jpg

My light seems to come on way early, about 3.4 gallons.

Or, at an average of 46 mpg, at about 156 miles or so.

Still, that leaves a theoretical more than 2 gallons left!

I've taken it 40 miles past that point to about 4.2 gallons / 195 miles so far.

With similar mpg rates I'll probably push her to at least 210-220 miles.

Now that she's broken in and warmer temps are coming (the first 800 miles have been in temps below 55°F), I'll be interested to see if I can improve mpg too, but I'm not complaining.

Kev M said:
Wait, your owner's manual shows conflicting information - i.e. it still lists the 3.96 gallon capacity and then ALSO lists the new 5.5 gallon capacity.

Read it again. Carefully. It lists 3.98, then says if it's metallic, it's 5.55.

Kev M said:
Wait - didn't YOU think your 2012 had a small tank too:

[quote author=pokeyjoe link=topic=57565.msg873640#msg873640 date=1349749282]
I have a 2012 with a metal tank. According to the manual, it holds 3.96 gallons and, based on my experience so far, that sounds about right.

Yeah, I didn't turn the page. And I paid attention to the low fuel light.

pokeyjoe said:
Kev M said:

Read it again. Carefully. It lists 3.98, then says if it's metallic, it's 5.55.

I hear ya. But like I said, many people have a long history of not just accepting what MG says in their specs/manuals because they've proved themselves wrong before.

Not to mention I THOUGHT that no 2012 models were sold anywhere with a plastic tank (I could be wrong, hell I had plenty of stuff wrong trying to figure this out). And since they didn't specify "plastic" under the 3.98 one could assume there was another tank that met that spec.

Anyway, the important part was that we finally got to compare some dimensions with the plastic tanks and with 2013 metal tanks on 1TB models to confirm it. Since it was news to a couple of owners over on WG I figured some here might be interested too.

Oh, and like you said, that low fuel light sure didn't help the situation any right?

Back