• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Racer Seat Question

Steven Ellsworth

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have had my V7 Racer for 2 months and it is a 2015. I have been careful to not get caught in the rain on the bike. I read today the seat is actually "alctantara" and not suede. If that is in fact correct, will it stain in the rain? I have 2 bikes and I would like to make my V7 my daily rider instead of my Ninja. Any insight will be awesome.

No, it won't. Your seat will get wet. Ask Todd what he did for his rent-a racer seat.
Nice cue in there, thanks. Yes, your seat will get wet and stain. If you want to protect it, surely always remove it for washing, and I'now have the KoF product online (link below) that will keep it looking new, even in the rain. Do NOT count on the factory supplied slip-cover, it is horrible and will let water in/through. The KoF cover is brilliant, and packs smaller then a T-shirt. Wonderfully done.
Contact me direct for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- -OR- Buy one ONLINE NOW HERE

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am going to have to get the waterproof seat cover. I plan to ride the V7 to work and want to make sure it is protected. Not to sound corny, but if I remove the seat while "washing", the battery will be exposed. I thought about putting the already existing plastic cover over the seat while washing. I had planned to give my V7 Racer it's first bath today along with some nice chrome polish. Any thoughts either way?

Per my direct email reply, cover the seat or the electronics with plastic. I should finally have my rinseless cleaners online early this week. Worth a look as you never have to take a hose to your bike if you choose.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am going to have to get the waterproof seat cover. I plan to ride the V7 to work and want to make sure it is protected.

Just get a bike cover. Protect the whole thing. Nelson-Riggs makes a half cover that fits in a small bag. Cheap and keeps the whole bike out of the elements and that nasty sun you get in El Paso.

denniskirk.com/uv2000-1-2-covers.p560309m.prd/560309M.sku?_requestid=1599335

A bike cover does not protect the seat while you're riding. It may also be a bit impractical to cover/uncover a bike in the severe sun environment if there are several stops in a day of riding.
I see seats all the time that the sun has "eaten up" in just a few years. I also get thru the shop plenty of waterlogged seats. A proper cover eliminates these issues. It's a piece of the puzzle. A bike cover and a seat cover, to me, address different parts of a problem with a small bit of overlap.

A bike cover does not protect the seat while you're riding. It may also be a bit impractical to cover/uncover a bike in the severe sun environment if there are several stops in a day of riding.
I see seats all the time that the sun has "eaten up" in just a few years. I also get thru the shop plenty of waterlogged seats. A proper cover eliminates these issues. It's a piece of the puzzle. A bike cover and a seat cover, to me, address different parts of a problem with a small bit of overlap.

I've had the KOF cover on my 01 Sprint ST seat, the 09 Sprint ST customized seat and now the same cover is on my '15 Stone.

It has kept each seat dry through rain and bike washes, also keeps the "boys" cool on a hot humid summer riding day (like today).

It was especially effective on the triumph gel seat on the '01.

After talking with the group, I am going to get the KOF cover. I want to keep my V7 Racer as nice as possible for as long as possible. I appreciate all the advice. It is nice to come to a forum where we all have similar bikes with many similar questions.

I use Scotch Guard, seems to keep things looking good, but then again, I avoid riding in the rain so it hasn't been an issue for me.

My racer seats been wet a few times, soak and wet and the color didn't change at all. I don't see stains on the frockin thing.

Don't worry about the seat getting wet it won't melt, discolor or otherwise.

As far as cleaning go I have found soap and water is all that is really needed. That is all I ever use and I've had seats last 40 damn years on bikes.

Seats will leak at the stitching. Scotch guard or similar won't help with that. Coatings also wear off.
A good number of SplitWeight(tm) users find that on multi day outings a seat that got wet will not dry overnight. Not an issue if your "one and done" but can be very uncomfortable if, for instance, it's pouring for a day and then it's 80 for the next two. Now your sitting on a wet seat.

I also have some "vintage" seats in my shop. However, I see every week seats less than 10 years old, some much less, completely roached from sun and rain. Guzzi provides a cover for the Alcantara fabric. It's just not a good one. Russell also will provide one for their customers It's just not a good one. Same with Corbin. Same with Harley.

Where we ride on the east coast it rains all the time.

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane, giving increased durability and STAIN resistance.

This product will never need any protectant and it will not stain because of getting wet.

Just wash it with soap and water. If you want to use a cover on the seat when you wash the bike that is probably ok. If you are out and about and it rains cover it up with anything you can find. If not and it end up wet don't worry about it. It will dry fast, not to worry.

I apologize for not thanking the group sooner for the feedback as I did not get an email letting me know of your answers :) . My bike is in the shop right now for an engine "shake". I will just use it as I would normally and use the cover if I stop at the store and it appears like it will rain. It is nice to know the Alcantara has normal stain resistance. Thanks everyone.

Back