• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Racer Transmission Issue

The bike ha. around 1100 miles on it. The service/oil change was performed by the dealer. The dealer has pissed me off. I went to them about my issue and they want to act like I am crazy. I love the bike, but I am a good deal away from trading this issue away. The store manager does not listen. I actually bought 2 bikes from them this year and still get no additional assistance. My other bike is a Ninja 650.

I have sent an email to Moto Guzzi asking if it is a "requirement" that I warm the bike up prior to me riding. All I would need is to get going, the transmission not be warmed up enough and can't get out of 1st gear. That would create a bad day.
Steven, as stated above, the engine and transmission are two seperate things. This sounds more like a dealer issue then bike, unless of course it really is the bike. It honestly sounds like a clutch adjustment issue. The engines as delivered are very cold blooded. They will take a good minute of two to get the bike moving without stalling. Have another small shop look at the clutch adjustment, even if you have to pay them a few $, and end your frustration.

I will give the shop a call tomorrow and see how responsive they are to check a few more things. The last time it took them a month to check out my bike. This has got to be one of the worst shops I have been. I truly think if I can get a good deal o ZX14 or an R1, I will be gone from this nonsense.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch yet? Several folks have suggested you do this, and it's not hard, even a girl can do it. (that is a joke btw) Jenny posted a really nice step by step, just do it!

From Jenny:
Sounds like your clutch cable might have stretched a little bit, which lessens the amount that the clutch can disengage. Also the lock ring that keeps the clutch adjuster tight might also have become loose, which allows the clutch adjuster to move around and change the setting (usually in the direction that causes this problem). Your hands will be the only tools you need :)

V7's only have one adjustment for the clutch, and that is at the handlebar. What you'll want to do is:
• pull back the rubber boot at the top of the clutch lever, mine says "brembo" on it. move it 4-5 inches down the clutch cable housing to expose the clutch cable tensioner
• loosen the tensioner's lock ring (shaped almost like a disc)
• turn the clutch adjuster (the longer and thinner of the two grip twists) counterclockwise to draw slack out of the clutch cable (which tensions the cable more and moves the lever's friction point outward from the handlebar).
• turn the adjuster counterclockwise ("loosen" direction) until there is about 1mm of free play in the clutch lever when not pulled. This will properly tension your clutch cable *see notes below*
• tighten the lock ring once adjustment is complete and put the rubber boot back

Some notes on the adjustment itself:
You do want some free play. If you have none, your clutch will not fully engage when you are off of the clutch lever or "in gear". This equates to a burned out clutch because the clutch will always be somewhat slipping. It would be really bad to ride like that for a length of time, because it will eat up the clutch FAST and that is about 10000% more involved than this fix.

With too much free play, you're back to square one with this same problem. Once you get it dialed in, make sure that lock ring is tight and you shouldn't have to deal with this again for a very very long time.

By the way, this happened to me, too. Luckily the fix is very easy. You can also have a look at youtube, there are a bunch of tutorials on how to adjust motorcycle clutch cables at the handlebar. Most bikes have an upper (handlebar) AND lower (at the transmission housing) adjustment, so you can ignore adjusting the lower part because the V7 (at least my 2015) doesn't have it.

Hope this helps, good luck, and safe riding :)

I thought the newi V7s, like the older ones, had an adjustment down by the transmission on the clutch arm, as well as up at the handlebar.
Yes they do, and it's even easier to get to on the II. Hence what I mentioned in my original post. It seems our friend may be better on a death-machine R-million, because they have no problems at all.

There was a big debate a while back where some people were swearing the V7 did not have two adjustments. I don't own a V7 but I was pretty sure they were wrong. I believe this simple subject has been beaten fairly well over time.
While I do think a new bike should come from the dealer with the clutch properly adjusted, I don't understand why someone would take it back to the dealer to get that done. Especially if the dealer is the same one that did not do it right the first time. And to be clear, this is a dealer issue, plain and simple, not a Guzzi issue. Adjusting the clutch is part of the dealer set up and PDI.

Starting an old discussion again
My new v7 iii special is reluctant to say the least (More like stuck in first) to change gear from first to second after starting on a cold engine.
Once warmed up slightly after about a mile it changes lovely and smooth, finds neutral easily and is a wonderful ride any ideas why.
My old Gs 1100 was similar but it would at least change gear on cold starting then as it warmed became smooth

Was a reason solution to the issues ever discovered

john

Back