• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Stone 2014 Clutch issues

Jimmy_

Just got it firing!
Hi Everyone,

I've read all the forums about the V7 clutch issues when the engine heats up that I can find and tried them all so far but now stumped on what the cause is and what to do next. Any help would be very much appreciated.
---
The Issue:
I've got a V7 Stone 2014 which is now around 17,000 miles. Up until recently (15,000 miles) I've had no issues with the clutch.

Now when the bike gets hot it doesn't work and the gear selection grinds or even doesn't go in. This happens with the clutch lever pulled all the way to the handle bar grip.

The issue is worst when riding in traffic, but also happens after motorway riding (I think the heat of the engine is key to the issue starting). When waiting at lights I ensure I go into neutral early, so I'm not sitting there holding the clutch in. When hot I also have to whind out the adjustment on handle bar lever as the 2mm gap increase to somewhere between 10-15mm in the heat and clutch stops working properly.
---
Steps I've taken:
1) I've zip tied the clutch cable away so not resting on the engine
2) I've installed a brand new clutch cable
3) I've taken to the dealer to adjust the rear gearbox lever
4) I've replaced the clutch's: rod, thrust bearing, inner body, spring, o-ring, inner body and given the rod a bit of high temp grease to allow it to slide easily
5) Forums say the rear lever adjustment is fiddly so I've tried in about 10 different positions. Before every ride undoing lock-screw then moving the adjuster screw a quarter turn and trying. Then...checking all other settings are correct: Handle bar leaver 2mm gap, there is play in the cable at rear lever and that the end lug rotates/moves freely.
6) Throughout step (5) I am confident the rear clutch lever has been set at 90 to the rod pushing the clutch plates
6) I've also checked the splines of the gear selector and gear lever to ensure there's no play there affecting the gear selection when clutch isn't working as well.
7) I've also checked my bike frame number wasn't one that was recalled due to having a missing bearing...but the sound of that email thread makes me think it would never have made it to 17,000 ml alive if that was the issue.
---
I'm not sure what to do next, and a bit nervous about taking the clutch off to investigate without a plan? I see in the forums I've read there's a huge amount of knowledge and experience taking Guzzi's apart here so hoping someone will be able to help?

I've also added some pics as thought it would be helpful.
---

James

Moto Guzzi clutch image Rods clutch moto guzzi Screenshot 2022 05 13 at 162217 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143756 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143736 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143717 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143701 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143651 Screenshot 2023 02 10 at 143639

Hi @john zibell ,

Unfortunately the bearing didn't solve the problem. I did account for all the rollers before putting together too.

I really thought it would be the solution and want to avoid taking the clutch out entirely. Although it would be a good challenge crabbing the frame I'd need more tools, improved set-up, and an extra pair of hands.

in my research so far the hot clutch disengement issue is keeping me looking at the rod, thrust bearings, actuator arm and adjustment. I only see the issues that need solving by removng the whole clutch so far being clutch slip. Or the faulty engines with crank baring issues with given the miles ive put on confident is not my issue.

I'm still learning a lot from all the good contributions people have on here so feel free to correct any assumptions about clutch disengement issues happening deeper within the clutch plate area.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Hi @john zibell ,

Unfortunately the bearing didn't solve the problem. I did account for all the rollers before putting together too.

I really thought it would be the solution and want to avoid taking the clutch out entirely. Although it would be a good challenge crabbing the frame I'd need more tools, improved set-up, and an extra pair of hands.

in my research so far the hot clutch disengement issue is keeping me looking at the rod, thrust bearings, actuator arm and adjustment. I only see the issues that need solving by removng the whole clutch so far being clutch slip. Or the faulty engines with crank baring issues with given the miles ive put on confident is not my issue.

I'm still learning a lot from all the good contributions people have on here so feel free to correct any assumptions about clutch disengement issues happening deeper within the clutch plate area.

Thanks,
Jimmy
what was the fix????? im experiencing same issue on a 2013

what was the fix????? im experiencing same issue on a 2013
Hi, I'm not sure it's fixed yet. It require a lot of persistence and paitences with the penetrative oil but was rewarded by recently managing to get the pin from the gearbox end clutch lever out. It was frozen with rust. Seems to have some improvement but only ridden once since for a short time. That ride felt better but still not convinced its fixed...might just be that I've lost hope a bit though. To be honest, I've grown to not like the bike and would sell if I didn't feel bad for selling on a dud.

20231113 202203

When I test it a bit more on a longer ride I'll let you know the result.

Seems you may have isolated it down. I would say don't loose heart (easy for me to say). This is my 1st MG and can say it's a Love/Hate relationship. Love the design, Hate the Italian traits, ( poor dealership support, poor parts supply, quality hit or miss, service manuals written in French/Italian/German). The Plus is the perfect mechanical design and "Italian styling " which Italians are Masters at ( My wife is 100% North Italian). Thanks for the update.

Seems you may have isolated it down. I would say don't loose heart (easy for me to say). This is my 1st MG and can say it's a Love/Hate relationship. Love the design, Hate the Italian traits, ( poor dealership support, poor parts supply, quality hit or miss, service manuals written in French/Italian/German). The Plus is the perfect mechanical design and "Italian styling " which Italians are Masters at ( My wife is 100% North Italian). Thanks for the update.
Thanks @Howardhughes. Yes, hopefully its the last puzzle piece and I'm back enjoying longer trips again. Either way I'll notify this thread about whether it was a fix.

Back