• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Stone - handlebars turn right more than left

andyb

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just picked up my 2014 model Stone today and had my first ride on it. Almost fell off when I made a sharp left turn to turn around and the handlebars hit the lock stop!

Looking at the bike more closely on the centrestand the handlebars move further to the right than left. I can easily measure the distance between the fuel tank and fork leg in each direction (and the tank looks central).

Are other bikes like this??

I had a similar problem with my Norge - except that on that bike the lock stop gave too much movement one way. On that bike I built the lock stop up with JB Weld which sorted it.

On my V7 it looks like I will have to grind metal off the frame or the lockstop itself....or back to dealer?

AndyB

Do you have the clip on bars? The travel should be the same both ways.

I'd look for a stray cable getting down into the turn stop. Very dangerous when you are in a turn and the wheel won't go where you want t to.

If it is the stop tab on the frame, sounds like a faulty placement/weld, or it's been damaged. Either way, take it back to the dealer and tell them to take it up with Piaggio (and be sure to call Customer Service yourself!) as a major safety hazard. Report back on what they find/say.

Looking at the lock stops more closely it looks like the part that welds to the frame is biased to the RHS of the bike, limiting LH bar movement. It is only out by a few mm but that magnifies at the bar end to maybe 2". I will contact the dealer and see what they say.
I wish it was as simple as a cable being trapped.....
Thanks for your help
AndyB

Last edited:
Dealer's reply, after checking other bikes......they are all like that!

On my bike the gap between tank and fork leg 10cm above lower yoke is 1 x thumb on RHS, 2 x thumbs on LHS.
Could others check their bikes and report back what they find please?

Thanks
AndyB

Edited to add: Just looked at a 2012 reg Stone and the lock on that was symmetric

Last edited:
My 2013 Stone is symmetric. Just because all of the bikes on your dealers floor are like that doesn't mean it's right!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Gruzzer, I was starting to think that no one on the Forum actually had a V7!

It would be much appreciated if anyone else could check their bike out and see if the lock is symmetric left and right

AndyB

If it was not a brand new bike I would agree. But a brand new bike you should not have to do that. If it is as it sounds something is amiss, and the dealer should take care of it. If they do not there is something wrong with that dealer. Another dealer may be in order and a complaint against the bad one. "they are all like that" is not an acceptable answer, especially when clearly they aren't.

I do not blame the dealer if others on his floor are like that. Sounds like the jig at Guzzi is amiss and they have a batch welded wrong. I would check other new Guzzi V7's and contact Moto Guzzi directly. Maybe contact Consumer Product Safety Commision or National Highway Safety Administration If no satisfaction from Guzzi. If the 2013's are all symmetrical the 2014 should be unless Guzzi offers some real good explanation.

Sorry, but if that is what the dealer said then they just blew off their customer and that is wrong. A good dealer would have checked his bikes in stock, and if he found them all to be like that (if indeed that is the case) then he would have told the customer "We need to call Guzzi as not only is your bike wrong but the other ones we have in stock are wrong. Please bring your bike by so we can confirm what is causing this and bring this to Guzzi"s attention". To say that something, that if true would be clearly wrong and a safety issue, is OK because all the other bikes they have are the same way is irresponsible and just bad customer service. If it is true and the facts are as described that is poor dealer service. In the end your experience with any brand is more up to how well the dealer does than how well the manufacturer does. With a proper dealer the customer should never have to contact the manufacturer. This dealer may not have done very well.

A little complication I have is that when I was looking for a 2014 V7 my local dealer could not source one so I had to buy from further afield. Both dealers are OK about that and my local one will do the service work while the bike is under warranty - so he gets work out me, and I am buying some other parts from him as well. It will be interesting to see how he reacts about this problem, or do I have to go back to the dealerr whom I bought the bike from?
I don't want to have to get a new frame (the welded on stop at the front of the frame is the bit that is misaligned) and as others have said, a little grinding would do the job, but if that is done then there will be slop when the steering is secured with the key which would help a thief snap security lock........
AndyB

Fine pieces of art get stolen so why not my Guzzi???
I don't often leave the bike parked out of sight but the steering lock at least deters anyone from wheeling the bike around - if the LH stop is ground down there will be a lot of slop in the securing lock
AndyB

Around here Guzzi's don't ever seem to get stolen. They would be so hard to get any money from if they stole them, What would a thief do with one. Take it to the local Guzzi fence? I don't think there is one.
I never use my steering lock. Never. My Daytona the steering lock does not even work because it has GSXR forks on it and the steering lock no longer lines up. Perhaps I could have put in the effort to make it work, but why bother.

You should do whatever makes you happy. If using the steering lock makes you happy, do it.
But I can't imagine it is going to make a difference in the end. I can't see someone trying to steal your Guzzi, and if they did want to steal it I can't see that steering lock stopping them.

In UK bikes do get stolen - sometimes to order, sometimes by an oppertunist theif, sometimes as a joke and get vandalised
Some bikes get taken abroad to mainland Europe and some get broken for spares.
The area I live in is rural and pretty safe but if I go to a city I want to secure my bike the best I can. My old BMW has an alarm, steering lock and a lock I can put around a wheel. It is also datatagged as a deterrent....and is 22 years old so is maybe not too likely to be stolen.
A steering lock would not stop someone who wants a bike from stealing it but it might deter somone who just wants to push it around for a joke.
One way bikes in London get stolen is by a gang in a van driving up to the bike and putting scaffolding tubes through the wheels and lifting the bike into the back of the van. The fifth member of the group wears motorcycle gear and if anyone asks what they are doing says that he lost the key and a bike garage are recoveing it for him. Time to steal it? Two minutes max? Three minutes if secured by a chain and that needs to be cut.
The only deterrent that really works is having a big dog sitting on the saddle!
AndyB

Back