• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7C Crossover Pipe

oldmanjob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have a Stucchi crossover pipe coming in the mail. I would like to know if I have to remove the entire exhaust system from one side of the bike to enable me to get the old can out and the new pipe in :? and if so what is the torque setting for the engine pipe bolts :?: (this will be on the job Guzzi wrench training :lol: First it was valve cover gaskets, now being promoted to crossover pipes :eek: :lol: :lol: )

Bill

Forget the torque wrench. The studs at the heads are fragile. Better to just snug them up, then check repeatedly for a few weeks. For the pipe swap, leave the LH header firmly in place. Remove the mufflers and the RH header. That will allow you to rotate the crossover down and get the needed clearance to move it out. Also leaving the LH header in place give you a reference point when re-installing the exhaust. You wont have to mess about much to get the headers spaced evenly. Be very careful when you remove and install the lambda sensor. They do not tolerate shock very well.

Was just going to reply to your question when John Z. beat me to it! I just replaced the stock crossover on my V7C with the Mistral crossover. I used exactly the method he described and had no problems at all. Those header pipe bolts are not super tight, I did not use a torque wrench, you'll get a feel for the correct tightness when you loosen the bolts. I completed my job which included the Mistral reverse cone mufflers as well, in about two hours, and that was taking my time. I think the most fiddly part was disconnecting the lambda sensor, as the connector is behind the starter and difficult to access.

I have since put on a few hundred miles, no exhaust leaks and bike runs great!

I never removed anything to get mine on. Just loosened one side enough to swing it out a few inches.

Well, who can tell.
I had to demount the entire system, coarse words, a couple of persuators, heat and a pipe wrench just to get the old tin can cross over off.

4040478950_95c16fd8c5.jpg

Mounting the Stucchi was easy. Fit right on. I also even didn't hesitate to use a torque wrench set at 25 Nm and a tiny little amount of alu- grease. ;)

Well the pipe showed up today at 1:30 PM EST. By 2:30 my son Tim, the up and coming teenage mechanic and this Old father had the pipe installed without a hitch. I took everyone's advice and gleaned a little from each. We loosened the lambda sensor before anything else was loosened. Loosened the two clamps on the cross over and was able to move the old can so we knew it was going to come off. We decided to loosen the right side. As we loosened the muffler clamp and hanger, it was like the can was put on and nothing was tightened :eek: So we slipped off the can and loosened the header pipe bolts just enough to enable us to get a couple inched of play. The old cross over slipped off with no problem. What took some time was getting the lambda sensor to thread easily back in the hole in the new pipe:? Everything went back with no problem, and I just tightened the header pipe bolts by feel, from the tightness taking them off. And yes if you have needle nose fingers :lol: the disconnection is easy for the sensor connection behind the starter, but with old arthritic fingers it is a challenge :blink: Tim found it easy coming at it from underneath.

There is a noticeable difference in the sound of the stock pipes, deeper tone, and an increase in power, or better put, it comes up through the revs smoother and faster (that is the best way I can explain it :D )

Bill

Back