• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7c front fork options

chrisk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all, the popular mod on here seems to be to change the fork springs to the progressive ones, anyone know what the standard spring rate is ?

Has anyone tried any others options, i.e. different single-rate springs, different weight oil etc ?

It also looks like people fit the 'yss valves', or cartridge emulators - has anyone fitted these, I imagine they need a lot of setting up. I've seen the racetech versions and they look complicated...

I assume the standard forks are damper rod types and not the old guzzi Sealed Damper Units ?

chrisk said:
Hi all, the popular mod on here seems to be to change the fork springs to the progressive ones, anyone know what the standard spring rate is ?

Has anyone tried any others options, i.e. different single-rate springs, different weight oil etc ?

It also looks like people fit the 'yss valves', or cartridge emulators - has anyone fitted these, I imagine they need a lot of setting up. I've seen the racetech versions and they look complicated...

I assume the standard forks are damper rod types and not the old guzzi Sealed Damper Units ?

Correct

Initially I thought the front forks on my V7C were fine, but with 4000 miles on it now I feel they are inadequate I am going to install the Hyper Pro springs sold by Guzzi Tech at the same time I install new rear shocks. Based on my experience with Todd E. when I put in the Hyperpro's on my Norge you can't go wrong.
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/HyperPro-FS.html

Yo Todd if you see this consider it an order. :mrgreen:

Is there anyone here who's fitted the HyperPro progressive rate fork springs to their V7C? I'm thinking of getting them fitted to my bike, but would like some feedback first.

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisH said:
Is there anyone here who's fitted the HyperPro progressive rate fork springs to their V7C? I'm thinking of getting them fitted to my bike, but would like some feedback first.

Thanks,

Chris

Not a V7C, but I put some in my breva. I would absolutely recommend them.

I've got the Wilbers equals. Works fine, doesn't bottom.
For the forks, SAE 7,5 oil is also recommended. Guzzi is really unclear in the recs for the Breva, 5 - 20 ????
The later maybe for riding in hell. Dunno. :evil: The 7,5 works fine even at 40*C+ (100F).

I recently purchased a '09 V7C with the Hyperpro springs up front and I find them to be very rigid. I'm not sure if the installation was done incorrectly or what weight oil was used but I'm going to refill the forks with 10w and see how that works. Hyperpro comes with 20w, I believe.

Being in the UK I went for the Hagon progressive wound springs. For me they work better than the standard springs, less vibes and more feel. The oil supplied was 5 weight which may be a touch light, I'll try 7.5 sometime and see how that feels, but it's not a big deal or very high on my list of things to do. For me changing the front and rear suspension along with a pair of BT45's has made the bike much more fun to ride and I thought it was pretty good to start with.

mohazima said:
I recently purchased a '09 V7C with the Hyperpro springs up front and I find them to be very rigid. I'm not sure if the installation was done incorrectly or what weight oil was used but I'm going to refill the forks with 10w and see how that works. Hyperpro comes with 20w, I believe.

Replacing the oil is a pain because there's no drain. You have to either 1) remove the shock entirely and hold it upside down, or 2) unscrew the damper retaining bolt at the very inside bottom, and use that as a drain bolt.

Perhaps as easier idea is to remove the plastic cylindrical spacer on top of the spring, and cut some off, to lessen the preload on the spring.

Joe

Another suggestion was that when they were installed, the forks weren't properly bled. I know how to bleed brakes but don't know anything about bleeding forks and can't seem to find any info about it. Anyone have some tips?

In my experience you don't bleed forks ... it's more matter of filling the tubes up with the correct amount of oil as per handbook, or filling to get the correct air gap between the top of the oil and rim of the fork tube with the fork leg fully extended. You can alter the oil weight used for damping to suit your own preferences. I believe the oil comes in 5, 7.5, 10, etc. up to 20 weight, and as previously suggested here, you can alter preload by cutting down the spacer on top of the spring. Hope this helps.

As I said via direct e-mail, you need to pump the forks as you fill/once filled in order to insure that the air is fully out of the valving path.

Thanks Todd, I will try that, hopefully this week. Took the bike out this weekend and hit a small bump braking going into a turn and the wheel hopped scarily.

Great to have you so closely involved in the board!

Hi Todd

I was thinking your man believed that bleeding along the lines of having to run the oil through the system to get the air out, when obviously if you fill up with the correct amount just pumping the front end up and down with the brake on will do it no problem.

Back