Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7C-S Suspension Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SMTCapeCod

SMTCapeCod Just got it firing! GT di Razza Pura

The Progressive shock I installed in my Victory sure doesn't ride like an offroad shock, it's great.
    Totally different though- monoshock amidships, on a much heavier and more powerful bike. Its from the 485 series.

2. featherless biped

featherless biped Just got it firing!

Hey Todd,

I purchased a Matris fork cartridge kit from you around 2/24/2018. It took forever for me to install because life intervened and I moved from Falls Church, Virginia, to the Asheville, North Carolina area. Since the move in 2018, I've had very little time to ride and now that I've managed to get some miles in, I've discovered the bottom screw - the damper securing screw, the one that holds the cartridge in place in the slider and that you have to remove the front axel to reach - has loosened up and is leaking. When I originally took the OEM fork internals out I found the screw to be incredibly tight. I had to use a breaker bar to take the screw out. I guess when I reassembled I was worried about stripping the alloy Matris so I reckon I didn't tighten it enough.

Questions - Do you have a suggested torque value for the 8 mm screw that fixes the Matris cartridge to the slider? Should I use a crush washer?

My sig was MRLost back then but I had to change ISPs when I moved so I've changed my login.

Thanks mucho.

3. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

Th parts and service manuals give no hint about the recommended torque. When I installed a Matris cartridge set on my V7II, I used a rattle gun to tighten these screws, because the cartridges rotated when I tried tightening the screws with a torque wrench. I couldn't find a way to prevent the cartridges from rotating, hence the advantage of a rattle gun. I was aiming for 50 Nm but it probably ended up with more torque. I also used new copper crush washers. No leaks or loosening over the next 2+ years and 13,000 mi. Hope this helps.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Guys, this isn’t my Inbox... I don’t catch every post here, and I hover around 1000 emails/day, so be patient on a reply. At some point soon, I am not going to be able reply to questions here outside of Ask the Wrench sections or direct email.
    I don’t have a torque value, but I’ll ask Matris. I also use an impact like sib, as I’ve done on every set of forks since I was a kid racing.

Email me on any login issues; Todd at GuzziTech.com

5. featherless biped

featherless biped Just got it firing!

Thanks sib - that's just what I needed to know. 50 Nm is a fairly high so I won't sweat running up the torque level. If I encounter the issue you mention - that the cartridge spins with the screw as the torque level rises - I can buy an air impact wrench. Always have wanted an excuse to buy an air wrench.

No prob Todd ... sib provided the info I needed.

6. Giorgi

Giorgi Just got it firing!

Hi guys what would you recommend for my 2013 v7 stone, I need smoother ride and I have low budget

7. GT-Rx®

I've merged your post with this thread. Start from the beginning and skim down. You will find your answer most likely... then click on the Store tab above for our selections. For tight budgets, and depending on what you weigh, fork springs and our GTM S2W option; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks

8. Giorgi

Giorgi Just got it firing!

Thanks, much appreciated

9. BoatDoc

BoatDoc Just got it firing!

I purchased the GT V7 "Hybrid" Fork Kit and the RT IFP Twin shocks for my Stornello last year and here are my thoughts on the installation and riding.

The easy one is to talk about the shocks. The OEM shocks were quickly replaced with the Progressive shocks at I Moto's suggestion but the improvement was slight and I was looking for a bit more height. Todd suggested the RT IFP with an extra 20 mm. Installation was straight forward and the improvement significant. The higher rear end meant that the geometry changed slightly and the bike turns in quicker. That is handy both on the street and the trail and I think was an improvement. No regrets!

The fork kit was selected as the OEM damping created a harsh response at high compression rates; exactly what my commute on the freeway was giving me! The harshness was bad enough I decided I couldn't tour until I fixed it. Todd suggested the Hybrid Forks kit which included the Mupo emulators and Matris preload adjusters and RT springs and spacers. However, the damping seemed to increase. After reading up on how emulators work and what others did, and recognizing that I don't have the tools to take apart the forks, I took the forks out of the bike and headed over to Hamlin Cycles. I emailed Mupo for instructions without success, but as RT has a similar looking emulator Jim decided to follow the instructions for that. He drilled out the damping rod holes to 5/16 and added another pair of holes. After reassembling the forks he poured in 15w fork oil and set the air gap at 140 mm. I raced home, reinstalled the forks and headed down the street. What a huge improvement! I'm delighted!
    Now, two weeks later and after a couple others have ridden the bike I'm thinking it might still be a bit too much damping. The bike is still firmly planted in turns but the high speed recoil is a bit hard. I will try increasing the air gap and may go to 10w fork oil when I change it this winter. I'm off for a two-week trip to Gaspe and it will get a good workout.

10. kenrover

kenrover Just got it firing!

Here's a pic of my V7 Mk III with a pair of Hagons. 3 pre-load settings, 9 damping control adjustments. Different bike. It's on rails. No po-going, no spine compression. Bliss. New tyres too. Metzler Klassics: So far-so wonderful.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      90.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Michael Boeglin likes this.
  11. Mick Simmons

Mick Simmons Just got it firing!

Hi, I'm looking to lower the rear on my v7 11 2016. I don't seem to be able to find out what length the standard shocks are and to what extent I can safely lower the bike without causing excessive stress to the transmission.

12. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

As per posts above, email Todd direct?

13. GT-Rx®

Mick, I've merged this thread with this one... read through starting at the first post here.
    Also...

Poppe likes this.
  14. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed

The rare suspension is pretty harsh over bumps, which way do you adjust the lower adjustment ring on the shock to soften the ride, up or down?

Thanks

15. Racer415

Racer415 Just got it firing!

Attempting to install a Matris kit today on my '13 with Kaifa forks... I noticed that the bushing and oil regulator do not seat into the stock springs... it looks like it's intended to though, can anyone confirm?
    20190928_154305b.jpg 20190928_154345b.jpg

16. GT-Rx®

They should seat. You verified Kaifa on the forks and the box, yes? If so, email the ID of the spring. Real check is to make sure the fork caps thread into the fork tubes. Don't mar the threads if they don't.
    Edit: Question, are those for sure stock fork springs?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  17. GT-Rx®

Start from the top of this thread on setting sag, and see video above.

18. Racer415

Racer415 Just got it firing!

Thanks for the reply Todd and sorry for the slow response, I got the bike new so they should be the stock springs, I sure haven't changed them! Forks are definitely Kaifa and the end caps thread with no issue. I'm not sure the kit came from your store, it was a gift over a year ago. I think I've worked out a way to make them seat by taking a little more off the diameter of the end that nests into the spring... I don't have a mill so I had to figure out how to do it without making a mess of it. Waiting for the tool to come in tomorrow and just circled back around to make sure I wasn't crazy. :)

19. Gregoris

Gregoris Just got it firing!

Hi, can you be a bit more specific about the clearance issues with the K-Tech Razors?

20. GT-Rx®

Not needed, long ago resolved. Plug and play now.