• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7II 750 Special or V9 850 Roamer

OzMGV7/9

Just got it firing!
Thanks for admission. I am looking at moving from my high tech Honda 800 to a retro twin, and so joining MG owners club.

My bike is my daily so an important decision. I cant decide on a used V7II 750 with bigger tank and taco or used V9 850 with bigger motor, forward pegs & slightly longer.

I have ridden a v7 and had clutch issue -difficult to find N (poss thrust washer issue). It had a pretty severe vibration though pegs until I found the sweet rev range. That may be normal.

A used V9 test drive involves a big day or overnight trip. So trying to weigh up options before I commit to burning a day on test drive only to learn its not going to work as my main mode of transport.

I also need to fit a top box for shopping (it is my main transport). I’m not sure if V7 or V9 is better for this. My daily drive involves both HW speed and low speed filtering through peak hour traffic.

So any feedback on these models would be appreciated. thanks.

Giddy in Wynnum! I have a V7III Special over here in Perth, WA. It is perfect for commuting and longer rides in the country. Will hold 110kph+ comfortably. 750cc is plenty for me - I've not tried an 850. With the GTM fuel map I get 350 - 400km to reserve per tank, mixed hwy/city, depending on how spirited I ride and the head winds.

The III series gearbox is great - like many bikes, just getting the right knack of finding neutral is required - easier from 1st with a little clutch out. I have no trouble. Tacho is a nice-to-have but in reality I rarely look at it and never red-line it - just change gears when the revs and conditions are right. It is not a sports bike after all. It is a V2 - you will always get some vibes, but that is the character of the bike and it is not unbearable.

Best thing I did was get the GTM fuel map, after market mufflers, free flowing air filter and get rid of all the SAS etc. It transforms the bike and makes it so much smoother and responsive. Add Matris suspension upgrade, drop the triple clamp 10mm on the forks, use a 110/80 front tyre (see threads for all these on this forum) and a Guzzi OEM comfort gel seat and the handling and comfort is much improved.

Having said that, it is always best to test ride your selections on hwy and city if you can.
Happy hunting!
Cheers.

IMO A test ride is a must even if its a trip. I don't think the difference between a 750 and 850 will matter. Buy the one that you're most comfortable riding position wise. If you're good with either, buy the newest year.

Other than a very short time years ago, I'm also new to Guzzi right now. Finding first gear is easy once you understand that you don't try to mash it with your foot, you gently encourage it. Letting out the clutch a bit makes it even easier.

Giddy in Wynnum! I have a V7III Special over here in Perth, WA. It is perfect for commuting and longer rides in the country. Will hold 110kph+ comfortably. 750cc is plenty for me - I've not tried an 850. With the GTM fuel map I get 350 - 400km to reserve per tank, mixed hwy/city, depending on how spirited I ride and the head winds.

The III series gearbox is great - like many bikes, just getting the right knack of finding neutral is required - easier from 1st with a little clutch out. I have no trouble. Tacho is a nice-to-have but in reality I rarely look at it and never red-line it - just change gears when the revs and conditions are right. It is not a sports bike after all. It is a V2 - you will always get some vibes, but that is the character of the bike and it is not unbearable.

Best thing I did was get the GTM fuel map, after market mufflers, free flowing air filter and get rid of all the SAS etc. It transforms the bike and makes it so much smoother and responsive. Add Matris suspension upgrade, drop the triple clamp 10mm on the forks, use a 110/80 front tyre (see threads for all these on this forum) and a Guzzi OEM comfort gel seat and the handling and comfort is much improved.

Having said that, it is always best to test ride your selections on hwy and city if you can.
Happy hunting!
Cheers.
Thanks Andy for all that detail. I will look up the GTM map to see who does it in Brisbane. I have seen lots about Agostini pipes. I think this bike has the original tyres, which aren’t rated too highly.

IMO A test ride is a must even if its a trip. I don't think the difference between a 750 and 850 will matter. Buy the one that you're most comfortable riding position wise. If you're good with either, buy the newest year.

Other than a very short time years ago, I'm also new to Guzzi right now. Finding first gear is easy once you understand that you don't try to mash it with your foot, you gently encourage it. Letting out the clutch a bit makes it even easier.
Thanks George, I’ll remember to feather the clutch a little.

Thanks Andy for all that detail. I will look up the GTM map to see who does it in Brisbane. I have seen lots about Agostini pipes. I think this bike has the original tyres, which aren’t rated too highly.
GTM map is only available directly from the GTM store https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/fueling
I have Mistral pipes which are very nice.

Back