• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7II Recommendations

Landscraper

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new member here, looking to get a v7II this coming season as a replacement for the vintage honda's and VW's I've been putzing around with.

I've done a lot of reading, a lot of forum and product searching, and I understand where the majority of you have stood when it comes to ECU reflashing ... I just want to ask a few questions

1) I get the idle issues and cold start issues of the V7 (I've ridden one a few times, enough to know I like it), I'm not intending on modifying my first season with the bike, would everyone still recommend a flash on a V7II? Are there better from factory fueling maps now? Let me say again: keeping it stock (performance wise) for the first season, is it worth it? Autotune? The works?

2) Those of you that ride with a fender eliminator: what's the road spray like on the V7 body style?
3) V7 & V7II riders, what's the actual improvement to the feeling of the bike now that it has a 6-speed box?
4) Where can I get unpainted aluminum racer side panels?

5) I always used to run a mid-low renthal on all my bikes ... anyone running Renthal or other bars? Heresy?

Thank you!

Interesting offer ... I think that, aside from the II, the gearbox, and the motormounts that the body frame and panels stayed the same ... I guess I'll see when I pick it up this spring

1) Lot's of people keep them stock and don't complain a lot. You just have to let them warm up a bit before you ride off. It will run hot with a stock map. There has been at least one update to the OEM map that some say helped things.

3) The 5-speed is classic Guzzi tractor-like in function. Long throws and big thunks. It works and it works well. The new 6-speed may be the best transmission Guzzi has ever put on a motorcycle. Short throws and very precise.

4) af1racing.com

That's all I can answer.

pokeyjoe, thanks for the quick response

Any idea if the bike would run at critically lean levels during a longer trip? I'm thinking that it might be a viable option for later on ... coming from only carb'd air cooled engines I can get used to a level of heat given the nature of things.

I've looked at AF1 before, I must have just missed the SKU on that item!

They did have an up-date this past year that helped with the cold start issue allowing things to warm up faster. My dealer installs that up date on all of his new bikes before he even puts them on the showroom floor. It really helped my bike a whole bunch, much better. They called me up and asked me to drop by so they could do the re-flash.

Last edited:
Ha, PokeyJoe you're too nice, I could have dug that up! Thanks!

Anyone got any input on the break-in period for the modern small block guzzi engine? First service seems to be at 600mi, I just did the intro service on my buddy's v7, but he had waited until 1200 miles. Thoughts?

Well, the oil would probably be OK to that mileage, but you really, really need to re-torque the head bolts and adjust the valves. Not retorquing the heads may even result in the gasket where the jugs join the crankcase leaking (ask Todd). Then you gotta pull them off and replace the gasket. I garauntee the valves need adjusting at 600 miles. Why wait? It's so easy.

I am a big fan of getting the re-flash from Todd. It really does make a different bike out of it.
The six speed is a much better transmission. A lot easier to keep the bike feeling like it's in the right gear at any speed.
I am running Tomaselli bars on my older V7. If you like Renthals, run em!
Cheers.

I'm a brand new member here, looking to get a v7 II this coming season as a replacement for the vintage honda's and VW's I've been putzing around with.
I've done a lot of reading, a lot of forum and product searching, and I understand where the majority of you have stood when it comes to ECU reflashing ... I just want to ask a few questions:
1) I get the idle issues and cold start issues of the V7 (I've ridden one a few times, enough to know I like it), I'm not intending on modifying my first season with the bike, would everyone still recommend a flash on a V7II? Are there better from factory fueling maps now? Let me say again: keeping it stock (performance wise) for the first season, is it worth it? Autotune? The works?
2) Those of you that ride with a fender eliminator: what's the road spray like on the V7 body style?
3) V7 & V7II riders, what's the actual improvement to the feeling of the bike now that it has a 6-speed box?
4) Where can I get unpainted aluminum racer side panels?
5) I always used to run a mid-low renthal on all my bikes ... anyone running Renthal or other bars? Heresy?

First, welcome to the Forum.

1. Since getting someone to comment on how they like something I offer (thanks Mike!) is like a rock to the face when riding, try a search on it in this section, or see the reviews on the product page; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-miu-ecu-reflash/-- OR -- https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/ecu-reflash.15493/ - Most say they wish they had done it immediately, and some do. The MIU the 2013+ V7's use cannot run a PC or AutoTune unfortunately. I will be offering a simple solution very soon for MIU users so they don't have to pull and send me their ECU.
2. It rarely rains here in SoCal, so I can't really comment, however the seat is long enough that I suspect it's a non issue.
3. As Mike says, positive engagement, no false neutrals. The overall gearing ratio is the same, so in my opinion, you get a real first gear, and tighter spacing.
4. Covered
5. Tons of bar swaps have been done. If you like the bend, run it. My favorite for sportier riding on a Stone or Special is the LSL Speed Bar

Hi mate, first off - great choice! A few personal comments below:

2) Those of you that ride with a fender eliminator: what's the road spray like on the V7 body style? I use the GT-XR fender eliminator and can't look past the quality and style. Road spray not an issue I have come across on any bike that I have chopped. Ride in the wet and you will get wet.

3) V7 & V7II riders, what's the actual improvement to the feeling of the bike now that it has a 6-speed box? I can't comment but I am looking at the new V7 II as well. The earlier version needs an overdrive (6th) gear.

5) I always used to run a mid-low renthal on all my bikes ... anyone running Renthal or other bars? Heresy? I have clip-ons fitted to the fork legs - no problem ! Go the renthals although you will increase the stretch a bit.

Don't forget some pipes!

Back