• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 TT stalls at idle

davethewelder

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Just bought a new 2022 V85TT Ronald McDonald edition, I love the bike except 2 things. One thing and its covered in the owners manual, that at an idle it will bump up in rpm's, I guess something about electrical demands. But my other issue is not cool, at an idle it will just die. Starts right up with no issues. Probably happened about 4 times in 300 miles. I dread going back the the dealer, really they lack experience in customer service but excel at word twisting! I bought it at House of Bikes in Fort Meyers Florida, I could go to the one in Tampa. Or maybe I could fix it with some owners experience.

Attachments

• tempImageC5bPOO.png
    tempImageC5bPOO.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
How many miles on it? Doing it hot or cold or both? Mine (22) has only 1800 on it and idles a bit lumpier than my 2020 but never dies. Cold start it should kick up a bit for 15-60 seconds. Then it should be fine. Your only choice as I see it is to put miles on it if still low. But, I suspect a trip back to get hooked up to PADS is in your future.

Vagrant, I have 324 miles on it. I was talking with a MG tech a few minutes ago and he was aware of some bikes doing this, due to E5 emissions. I asked about removing the Evap system he said "unofficially" yes and maybe adding a Trim Module from AF1. Not sure if I want to add a trim module because I'm probably going to get some fuel programmer GTM and maybe some pipes!

JMHO, go out and drive it 600 more miles and don't baby it! Again, JMHO, but my 22 runs great. Did from the start. If it was mine, I would spend an hour and check the valves just to rule them out. Factory employees FU sometimes! At the risk of getting flamed my 2017 V7III still has the stock evap and runs great. It is not a fix you should have to do, but, it's no big deal to do just to rule it out.

If this continues, you might want to consider making an official claim with your dealer for service so that you have a record of it with Piaggio.

If it resolves on it’s own, great.

If not, and it persists or leaves and later returns, then you have a validated claim.

I hope it sorts out quickly for you.

Yeah definitely don’t want to remove parts just make it run nice! If I decide to go performance route that’s different! I haven’t really babied it, I’m actually quite impressed with the performance and handling!

FWIW, I have had no issues except when the rubber manifold came loose from the throttle body (major air leak that set error codes and caused limp mode). I decided to fix it myself rather than arranging transportation to the dealer. The idle is a little rough and variable when cold. I may also be in the minority, but am keeping the evaporative system, crankcase ventilation system, and exhaust system stock (at least until the warranty expires).

Unless your bike stalls frequently, I would just run it until it is due for the initial (900-mile) service and then take it to the dealer.

Bike runs like a top (except at idle, LOL) it pulls from 2000-7000 rpms no problems, I doubt its the fuel. I did put in 3 gallons of 92 octane, no difference. Any way bike is a week old and I'm letting the service department handle it. Goes in tomorrow. Service manger said this wasn't the first time hearing this. I'll keep y'all informed!

Out of curiosity, you're idle behavior doesn't resemble this at all, does it?

A handful of E5 bikes (including mine) suffered from this problem, which was related to a faulty crank position sensor (CPS), determined after months of triage with the dealer/Piaggio. The fix for this ends up being a complete replacement of the CPS, which on the '21+ E5 bikes is integrated into the stator assembly, so the entire stator ends up getting replaced. It wasn't clear in from your original description if this might be the case or not, but I figured I'd post it as an FYI anyway. In my case, it would sometimes cause the bike to stall at idle, and other times it would just rev erratically like in the video.

__Jason

Wow! So that is the engine hunting on its own and not you with any throttle inputs?
Yes, that's hands-off the throttle. If you gave it a little throttle, it would stabilize (like ~2,000 RPM). And this behavior was intermittent - only happened when the engine was hot, and even then... not all the time.

My wild assumption is that the crank sensor clearance was out-of-tolerance, and that combined with heat expansion when the engine got hot, caused it to intermittently fail to register a signal. That's just speculation though.

Since having the CPS/stator assembly replaced, it's been rock-solid.

__Jason

JWTucker, thanks for the video. No mine is not that dramatic, should have done a video. mine would be idling at about 1250 and bump to about 1500. I hope it get fixed soon cause I'm dying over here! Well at least I can ride my Thruxton 900... LOL

It's worth noting that for the E5 idle issue, there was a service bulletin. The first bulletin instructed dealers to relocate the wiring coming from the crank sensor so that it was somewhat separated from the ignition coils, which were apparently interfering with the signal. It seems that in *most* cases, that was sufficient to fix the problem. However, for some hard cases, that was not enough to fix it, and they had to resort to replacing the sensor instead. Presumably, a revised service bulletin came out for the sensor replacement, but I'm not sure.

__Jason

Here's the original service bulletin that describes the sensor wire re-route. (I've not seen the revised bulletin that describes the sensor replacement).

It might be worth checking the wiring as prescribed in this TSB - it can't hurt, but it might help.

__Jason

Attachments

• TSB_irregular idle issue_Euro5.pdf
    386.7 KB · Views: 23
Just bought a new 2022 V85TT Ronald McDonald edition, I love the bike except 2 things. One thing and its covered in the owners manual, that at an idle it will bump up in rpm's, I guess something about electrical demands. But my other issue is not cool, at an idle it will just die. Starts right up with no issues. Probably happened about 4 times in 300 miles. I dread going back the the dealer, really they lack experience in customer service but excel at word twisting! I bought it at House of Bikes in Fort Meyers Florida, I could go to the one in Tampa. Or maybe I could fix it with some owners experience.
I managed about 18000 miles on my v85tt till it started stalling on idle. Filtering through edinburgh traffic jams was a nightmare especially as the motto guzzi dealer could not find anything wrong with it after 3 visits and waits to visit.
Usually after 30 miles it ran fine then coming to a stop it did the same. A press of the electric start preceded by keeping it well above 2000 rpm to stop from stalling, inches at either side of me from traffic and motto guzzi seem happy with me spending more money on diagnostics.
I'm pissed to say the least, with 6k still to pay on this and am getting the fuck shot of it as soon as.
It was an ex display 2019 model with a couple of hundred miles on it when I got it. And get this, the dealer won't buy it back if there's anything wrong with it! It would have cost them nix. I need a lawyer plz and a BMW.

Mik gold, dont throw in towel just yet. My dealer has located and is fixing the problem. Apparently when I wired some after market light into the wire harness, I did something wrong that would make the bike stall at idle, they rewired it. And as for the idle "hunting" it was required to do a flash to the ECU, I guess it wasn't done at the dealer when I bought it. If your have troubles with your dealer, get the number to Moto Guzzi Customer Care, I did that and they fired off a sharp email to the dealer and got things rolling. Good luck!

Back