• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V850GT clutch

DaveV850GT

Just got it firing!
Hi All, just joined up and was wondering if anyone can help with this question. I am rebuilding the clutch on my 1971 V850GT and need to make a pressure plate compressor. As I cannot get my thread gauge in the hole and accurately see what it is, I cannot identify the thread pitch of the centre hole in the flywheel. I think the hole diameter is 12mm and have tried 1.75, 1.50 & 1.25 pitch threads to no avail. Anyone got an answer??
It's a long weekend over here and I was hoping to get the Old Girl on the road by Monday.

Cheers, Dave :roll:

DaveV850GT said:
I think the hole diameter is 12mm and have tried 1.75, 1.50 & 1.25 pitch threads to no avail. :roll:

12mm X 1.50mm x 70mm long for all the round fins I've done. If the 1.50 isn't fitting then the threads may have been damaged at an earlier time. May want to get a Bottom Tap and chase those threads. Be sure to get a Bottom not a Starting tap.

Trout

ARVENO said:
john zibell said:
More than a compressor, you need to be able to line up the clutch plates on assembly. http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=2618

I just did the clutch on my 1000 sp , and i was so happy to have the tool John is recommending you.
It's not mandatory , but heck , in 5 minutes i had the clutch in place. :D
Of course, you can also build one....

Marco..

This tool is the way to go for sure but please check/chase those threads before doing anything else!

Re: Replies for V850GT clutch

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies and advice. The thread definitely is not 1.5mm pitch,have checked it a couple of times and the threads are not damaged either. I would love to have the tool from MG Cycles and I have looked at it before but the cost of importing it to Oz is prohibitive which is why I am making my own. I have done the clutch on the Old Girl a couple of times now over the years and,yes,it is a bit tricky but can be done just lining things up by eye and determination! Previously I have managed to fit it all up but not this time. I can't think of why the thread would be different to yours Trout but it is. Anyway guys thanks again and I'll keep trying, may have to spend the extra dollars(if MG Cycles is the right thread for me) and see how I go.

Cheers, Dave :D

Dave,

The MG cycle tool and the factory tool would be the standard thread. Why the thread in the end of your crankshaft is different is beyond me.

Re: Replies for V850GT clutch

DaveV850GT said:
I have done the clutch on the Old Girl a couple of times now over the years

So what did you use then? Where is the bolt / tool that you used in years past? 1+1=1 or 3 (1's) are 3? but the answer don't add up. Good Luck / Good Bye

Hiya Folks, in the past the clutch would all fit in with only a little bit of compression , probably luck, slighly worn springs or whatever? I rechecked the thread,again, with another tap this time, and lo and behold they are a 1.5mm pitch!! My tap is damaged and I did not see it - blind!!! I ended up ordering the tool from MG Cycle along with some other parts I can't get here and the job was done in minutes (so much for procrastination). Thanks again for your help and advice and I'm getting new bloody eyeglasses as well!

Cheers, Dave :cool:

Back