• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT clutch replacement

ridon29

Just got it firing!
Clutch is slipping in 5th and 6th gears. I pulled the starter out to have a look, covered in oil. Has anyone done a v7 / V85
clutch replacement or know of a video showing sequence of dismantling?
Regards R

Hi,

I’m sorry but you won’t find any such thing.

This IS NOT a repair for the amateur shade-tree mechanic. You will not be happy at all.

This is a high skills and specialized tools job.

You’ve blown out the rear main seal which has oil fouled the clutch pack. This is usually caused by overfilling the crankcase with way too much oil. The pressure rises exponentially and has no place to escape quick enough so the rear main seal blows out. It also commonly happens in motorcycles that have sat for long periods of inactivity, and are then suddenly put back into service. The seal will dry out and become brittle from lack of being bathed in oil, and then after the first few heating and cooling cycles, it cracks open and pukes oil as you describe.

You will need a replacement seal and a whole new clutch pack.

Honestly best left to a professional mechanic with the proper tools and skills set.

If you must try it yourself, the best info you will find is in the Engine Supplemental Manual, which is available to DONORS to the site. You can DONATE any amount you like. There is no set amount. Then you will be able to go to DOWNLOADS and get the manual and read what you can.

Please understand that these manuals are not step by step at all. They assume a journeyman level of motorcycle mechanic ability at a minimum so if this is way beyond anything you have ever done, please carefully consider this before you just start ripping into your motorcycle. This job also requires the removal of the engine and transmission from the frame.

I understand that a proper clutch job is expensive (usually > $1,500-$2,000+) and there is a reason why it costs this much. I am sympathetic to your plight but I want to be brutally honest with you here and not lead you down a road of false hopes.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have not done a V85 clutch yet, however I did go and review the process in the Engine manual.

The engine must be removed from the frame. The gearbox must come off and be disassembled if you need to replace the output shaft seal.

There are as I said several specialized tools necessary. You cannot ham fist this job as you will destroy the motorcycle in the process.

I provide just a brief sample of the pages involved in this job and it is written for experienced mechanics, not the owner who wants to try to replace a clutch.

I am really afraid that this is not a job for you.

You will need to decide for yourself but remember that if you decide to tear into this, virtually no mechanic alive that I know of, will take over if you get lost in the weeds which is almost certain to occur.

IMG 0532 IMG 0533 IMG 0534

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Although I have worked on bikes and cars all my life (had a classic Mini repair garage for several years) I don't relish dismantling the gearbox if that is what is required.
The engine was never overfilled in my ownership but I can't account for the first 3 years (2019 bike)

There were a few pics posted I think in early 2020 possibly on Adventure rider forum of a new bike being torn down for a clutch. You might be lucky and find it.
Scott's right, it's not going to be fun.

Thanks for that. I am in no hurry, I also have a dead reliable MT01 Yamaha so I'm not bikeless. Could flushing with brake cleaner work?
and possibly drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the clutch housing to drain fluid out (clutching at straws here now!)

Thanks for that. I am in no hurry, I also have a dead reliable MT01 Yamaha so I'm not bikeless. Could flushing with brake cleaner work?
and possibly drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the clutch housing to drain fluid out (clutching at straws here now!)
Not an effective action to take. Best to have it repaired correctly. Be sure that all seals in the clutch area, both engine and gearbox, are replaced and shafts inspected for any imperfections that could cause a seal to fail.

You are correct, but I have nothing to lose as the clutch needs replaced in any case. I will also put in Wynns oil seal stop leak
in engine and gearbox, it just might work

If the clutch is already contaminated with oil, what do you hope to accomplish by stopping the leak temporarily? Do you intend to keep riding it with the clutch slipping?

I would do it myself personally, it is not that difficult for competent home mechanic, it is a fairly basic designed engine, in fact not changed much from the early 1980s V50 models. It would take a far amount of time because the engine would have to come out to get the gearbox off, so its not for the faint hearted, but I would give it a go.

If the clutch is already contaminated with oil, what do you hope to accomplish by stopping the leak temporarily? Do you intend to keep riding it with the clutch slipping?
No, not at all, if the brake cleaner treatment works the Wynns stop leak treatment should stop the oil leak at the seal(s).
Unlikely to succeed but worth a go. Its oil change time anyway. It only slips if you give it full throttle in 5th and 6th gears atm.
What have I to lose?

I would do it myself personally, it is not that difficult for competent home mechanic, it is a fairly basic designed engine, in fact not changed much from the early 1980s V50 models. It would take a far amount of time because the engine would have to come out to get the gearbox off, so its not for the faint hearted, but I would give it a go.
I have pulled many an engine out in my time, cars and bikes, just a bit put off by photos of gear box strip down, maybe this is not necessary?

I don’t mean to be rude but posts like that just stupefy me. Not one, but 2 highly skilled, retired motorcycle mechanics (myself and john zibell - and although I am a very competent Moto Guzzi mechanic and I own 7 models of Moto Guzzi which I maintain, John is 10x more experienced with Moto Guzzi than I) we have given you our expert opinions on this.

So, if you really think this is something that you can “attempt” in your home garage, have at it. I wish you nothing but the best. I’ve tried very gently to guide you honestly and truthfully here. You have to make up your own mind.

Maybe before you decide, you just might want to watch these 3 videos.

They are a set of 3 videos of a clutch job performed on a Griso 1200 4V motorcycle. It was filmed in a professional workshop, with tons of professional tools, lifts, suspension harnesses, assistants, and other types of specialty tools necessary to safely and adequately perform this type of job. It is also being performed by a master level mechanic.

YMMV

Last edited:
You are welcome.

As it states in the factory manual which I gave you a brief snipet of, if you need to replace the seals on the input shaft, I believe the shaft will need to be removed, and it clearly states:

IMG 0535

I’m not saying that this will be necessary, but it could be a very real possibility.

Whatever you decide, go into this with your eyes wide open. If you do decide to attempt this, detailed notes and hundreds of digital photographs as you go along every step of the way, will be your very best friend indeed.

End of my comments on this.

If you had the starter off what did oil smell like engine oil or trans oil? You may not have to take trans apart.
For cleaning clutch on big blocks, I fill area with mineral spirits & operate clutch & drain out into gravel drive. Not EPA handy but done. You can pour it in & put starter back on but there's no drain. Hense you mentioned drilling a hole. Big blocks have always had a hole.
I would say look at the service manual, if you feel confident, have at it!! Big money at a dealer.

You are welcome.

As it states in the factory manual which I gave you a brief snipet of, if you need to replace the seals on the input shaft, I believe the shaft will need to be removed, and it clearly states:

View attachment 33488

I’m not saying that this will be necessary, but it could be a very real possibility.

Whatever you decide, go into this with your eyes wide open. If you do decide to attempt this, detailed notes and hundreds of digital photographs as you go along every step of the way, will be your very best friend indeed.

End of my comments on this.
Again I thank you for your guidance and interest, yes thank god for digital photography

If you had the starter off what did oil smell like engine oil or trans oil? You may not have to take trans apart.
For cleaning clutch on big blocks, I fill area with mineral spirits & operate clutch & drain out into gravel drive. Not EPA handy but done. You can pour it in & put starter back on but there's no drain. Hense you mentioned drilling a hole. Big blocks have always had a hole.
I would say look at the service manual, if you feel confident, have at it!! Big money at a dealer.
Thanks for pointing that out,I did not think of this, but there was no transmission oil smell

I don’t mean to be rude but posts like that just stupefy me. Not one, but 2 highly skilled, retired motorcycle mechanics (myself and john zibell - and although I am a very competent Moto Guzzi mechanic and I own 7 models of Moto Guzzi which I maintain, John is 10x more experienced with Moto Guzzi than I) we have given you our expert opinions on this.

So, if you really think this is something that you can “attempt” in your home garage, have at it. I wish you nothing but the best. I’ve tried very gently to guide you honestly and truthfully here. You have to make up your own mind.

Maybe before you decide, you just might want to watch these 3 videos.

They are a set of 3 videos of a clutch job performed on a Griso 1200 4V motorcycle. It was filmed in a professional workshop, with tons of professional tools, lifts, suspension harnesses, assistants, and other types of specialty tools necessary to safely and adequately perform this type of job. It is also being performed by a master level mechanic.

YMMV

Hi Scottmastrocinque, Thanks so much for posting the videos, very interesting. I have a set of short video clips from the factory on dismantling and assembling a Breva 1100, of course it all looks so easy on a brand new engine, nothing like the problems those guys struck. I wonder what the final cost was.

Back