• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Racer spy shot

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Looks like the V7 bodywork will live on. Racer as we know it with V9 motor and Ohlins rear shocks.

IMG 8819

Boy, that would be exactely what I have been dreaming on... My beloved V7 with a bit more punch off the 900 cc engine.
But:
Who says that the engine decpicted is really the v9 one? Could remain 700 ccm with only V9 parts?

Anyway I live in Germany and hence will go online first thing tomorrow moning to be watch of what goes on in Cologne!

Cheers

Who says that the engine decpicted is really the v9 one? Could remain 700 ccm with only V9 parts?
Solid rumor mill has been saying V9R. There's enough there to confirm the 852cc engine, and not the 749cc V7, outside of the visually obvious cylinders and heads; V9 single speedo/headlight, upper black frame and V9 side covers... all would confirm V9. Strange one is the old V7 swingarm and wheels.

Ohlins makes rear suspension for the V7/V9?
Officially, no.
My guess is Ohlins would only appear on the V9 Racer, but could certainly be retro-fitted to the V7s.

I have to agree. I was longing after the V9 when it first appeared last year but after having a closer look, I found it cant compete from the optics with my V7 classic by no means. So V7 racer style (maybe with a smaller rear fender) + new 850 engine that might be a bummer (for me). Piaggio Press conference in Cologne at 4.30 local time will tell us more. Perhaps they only launch MGX 21 here and will reveal overhauled Vx on EIMA only later this fall. But I am not under pressure; as long as the weather stays nice I keep riding my V7 Classic and enjoy the sound of my open ZARD trumpets.
Because another thread that we here in f.. EU land are going to face is that hardly any new EU4 complinat machine will come with an acceptable sound from stock pipes, going foreward. And if Agostinis, Zards and the likes are still be competible or even available for such new Vx is questinable ....
So despite of more power and torgue coming with the new Vx there still might be no point in trading in my V7 as I cant and wont refrain from the sound of open pipes of my Guzzi V engine UNLESS savvy guys like Todd find a way around ...

This is what many have wanted, and it seems they might deliver. While I'm interested, I just don't know if I'd be willing to sell a bike that I've finally got through all of the bugs to get another and have to do all the same again. Here's a question for Todd and other suspension experts. So they fit some nice shiny Ohlins on the back, if there is no upgrade on the front and the Ohlin springs aren't weight specific to the rider, a guy or gal is still going to have to do some tweaking, correct? If the new package included better engine, better suspension front and rear and better brakes, then maybe I'd bite.

Days is over in Germmany and no new V7 III or V9R was presented by MG in Cologne :(

may be at EICMA in Nov in Milano being their home turf....

As a matter of fact, though, Triumph today presented the bike I was hoping to see from MG: the 900cc StreetCup

Upload 2016 10 4 19 59 3

This is what many have wanted, and it seems they might deliver. While I'm interested, I just don't know if I'd be willing to sell a bike that I've finally got through all of the bugs to get another and have to do all the same again. Here's a question for Todd and other suspension experts. So they fit some nice shiny Ohlins on the back, if there is no upgrade on the front and the Ohlin springs aren't weight specific to the rider, a guy or gal is still going to have to do some tweaking, correct? If the new package included better engine, better suspension front and rear and better brakes, then maybe I'd bite.

I can't say if they touched the front suspension, though I'd speculate they should have.

That said the word is this is the larger displacement, significantly higher rwhp output motor with better suspension, heck that's pretty motivating.

A bump from 48ish to 55ish hp in not enough for me to bite. The "Racer" needs a racer specific motor then it would be cool.

Word on the street is the difference between the V7 and V9 is larger measured at the rear wheel.

Dyno reports are saying 40ish for the V7 and low 50's for the V9.

Butt dyno reports (from V7 owners who demoed the V9) are saying it's noticeable.

With rumors suggesting the V7III will be Stone and Special (one or both with Hemi heads, though some suggest the Stone could remain Heron for another model year) it would defacto mean a V9 Racer has a different (Racer specific) motor.

Dyno reports are saying 40ish for the V7 and low 50's for the V9.
You have access to dyno #'s on the V9? I can't find any. I'll have my RentAGuzzi.com V9B tomorrow, and after some R&D this weekend, I'll try to get it on the dyno for a baseline dyno run. I would be shocked to see even 50 rwhp. My guess is ~45-ish as delivered.
Part of my R&D is going to see if the 4V head I have fits on, and/or how feasible making a 4V head with the new head shape, meaning I'll be casting them.

You have access to dyno #'s on the V9? I can't find any. I'll have my RentAGuzzi.com V9B tomorrow, and after some R&D this weekend, I'll try to get it on the dyno for a baseline dyno run. I would be shocked to see even 50 rwhp. My guess is ~45-ish as delivered.
Part of my R&D is going to see if the 4V head I have fits on, and/or how feasible making a 4V head with the new head shape, meaning I'll be casting them.

Motorcycle.com reported:

51 hp @ 6500 / 46 ft. lbs. torque @ 3200

071116-urban-Sports-Cruiser-Shootout-hp-dyno-633x450.jpg

071116-urban-Sports-Cruiser-Shootout-torque-dyno-633x450.jpg

I thought I'd seen a report from CW too, but it's not listed in my spreadsheet and I can't find it right now.

It will be interesting to hear what you get.

Damn people, don't get me wrong, it's not a serious rant and I don't think you haven't thought of it yourselves but isn't splitting hair over performance numbers of a thing like Guzzi V9 quite... absurd? It's a retro bike, compare it to Royal Enfield, Ural, Kawasaki W800 and Yamaha SR400 if you like. The "racer" line in my opinion is meant as parody, again, it's retro, you ride on something that looks like the 1960s racers and we all know their performance was terrible compared to today's actual racers. That is the point, you don't race it, you parade it. That's what it is, I just think I found a perfect word - it's a parade bike, something that you can take directly from the shop to the distinguished gentlemen's ride. It would be quite stupid in my opinion to equip it with actual modern performance technology, wouldn't make any sense and I can't see which market segment would want it (given the price and changes in looks that it would take).

I think the power and torque figures it has are already more a side-effect than a goal - they'd have to start using special measures to limit the power of a 850cc engine if they'd want less than it makes now. But it could easily make 29kW instead of the current 41 or so and I can't see who would actually care. The buyers wouldn't care, I mean, the internet forums would have a lot to say of course :D

The only change I would actually want would be better gas mileage and if that could be done by sacrificing 10kW and perhaps some torque, that'd be just fine. I would seem quite an idiot if I tried to rev and race around the town on a V9 so I don't do it anyway, I don't use more than half of that power anyway, so why not just reduce those fill up stops and everyone would be happier.

To each their own.
Me personally I like power. I think even my '87 Lario has more power then that.
And that is my slowest bike.
It is sad to see the dyno sheet showing the Guzzi along with other retro bikes and while the others are all in the same power range the Guzzi is way below the others.
A better motor woith more power would be nice.

Well, Guzzi has decided to make fully air-cooled mechanically-valved twin with shaft drive in the entry level price range. Now if you didn't already, look up Euro 4 emission standard and see what it takes to meet it. If I remember correctly, there is one additional requirement in Euro 4 - the endurance test - they have to show their engines meet the standard after 20000km. So it's not that easy, from what I've read, the new 853cc is pushing the limits. More power would mean changes like wet clutch (to radically increase oil volume) and oil cooler at best, but probably even water cooling. Then it would need CARC but because that does not fit into the V7/V9 price range, it would need chain or belt and there you have it - it would not be a Guzzi any more.

Actually I think the main reason is in the CARC. Shaft drive bikes divide into two, CARC and no CARC and there will always be a range of less powerful non-CARC bikes. It's not just about the engine, a more powerful shaft drive machine would have entirely different frame and drive train and because there are bikes like that in existence already, the question becomes: Should they drop the V7/V9 line?

My '87 Lario is a small block Guzzi. And it is only a 650. Yet it seems to make more power than a brand new small block Guzzi. It does not need to be a CARC Guzzi to have modern power output. It just needs a proper engine design.
Oil capacity can be increased, that has nothing to do with dry clutch / wet clutch.
I don't think the current power output is close to exceeding the capability of the current chassis. But bracing the chassis is not that hard.
It should be able to make as much power as other air cooled twins of similar size / displacement.
It is a bit sad that with all the modern tech available the current small block lags behind the other brands as much as it does.

Back