Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

V9 rear brake adjustment

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Brett Richardson, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Brett Richardson

Brett Richardson Just got it firing!

Does anyone know if the position of the 'bite' of the rear brake can be adjusted at all? Ive fitted the factory rearset kit to my 2016 Bobber, and it has nicely rotated the brake lever clockwise making it more horizontal, but now I have to press quite deep until I get any bite on the disc. Im guessing its just the way it is and I'll learn to live with it, but i thought id just put it out there.

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

There is a lock nut on the rod that pushes on master plunger, it's right behind the clevis & lock pin. I have never adjusted one. I would bleed brakes 1st.

3. Brett Richardson

Brett Richardson Just got it firing!

Ive adjusted this, I had to when I changed to the rearsets. It basicaaly just moves the pedal up and down, but given the brakelight switch cant be adjusted in conjunction, you cant really change the position of the lever. (drop the pedal too far down and the switch will stay on)

4. tris

tris Tuned and Synch'ed

This is true!!

I had a problem when I got my 3YO Roamer and did much the same as you did trying to cure a complete lack of bite on the rear brake.

I did 2 things

1) Removed the calliper from the bike and cleaned and lubed the slide pins within an inch of their lives
    2) Changed the rear brake fluid. Reasons for that is I remember that the the clutch on my old Breva 1100 was hard on clutch fluid as it ran close to the CAT. The brake line on the V9 also runs close to the CAT

I suspect that option 1 did the job as I now have a proper rear brake

If I can sort the stupidly sharp throttle from closed to slightly open I'll be a happy boy :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Brett Richardson likes this.