• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Roamer speedo illegible

gasgas

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am about to bring home a new V9 Roamer. On the test ride the single criticism I could find with it (other than a lack of a rear carrier, heated grips and flyscreen) was that the speedometer and LED displays were illegible, it seems to be red and white with tiny numerals. I can see the position of the speed needle though and I might just have to learn roughly where it is pointing at different speeds.
At the same time as testing the V9 I tried the V7 III. This had a much better display which was legible.
Does anyone know if you can fit a V7 speedo to a V9, or will the computer get upset? The dealer didn't know and said the only way to find out is to try it. That sounds like an expensive experiment to me! The technician there did say that the computerisation of the display is included within the speedo head, so there is a chance that if the sensors sending it information are the same on both models, they might be interchangeable.

Actually I have just had a thought - though maybe not. I assume that the LED lights inside the speedo are red. If they could be changed - though they are probably tiny surface mounted items so maybe not - could it be that a different colour (as I am English!) LED might be more visible? And maybe a less bright white background.
All this is conjecture, I don't even own the bike yet (well I suppose I do as I have paid for it) so I might just be talking a load of male cow manure, but when I rode it (in the dark) I could do no better than just keep up with the flow of traffic, but I had no idea what gear I was in or what speed I was doing. The green neutral light was fine, as were the green indicator lights.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Roamer, but you may want to inquire at the dealer if there is a setting for dash light intensity. If it can be adjusted you might be OK, but do check and confirm before you put your money down.

but when I rode it (in the dark) I could do no better than just keep up with the flow of traffic, but I had no idea what gear I was in or what speed I was doing.

So you don't have this issue when you ride in the day

Page 33 of the V9 owners manual.

Upload 2018 12 21 21 4 21

Also the back light being red helps with the sensitivity of your night vision. (i.e)

Rhodopsin in the human rods is insensitive to the longer red wavelengths, so traditionally many people use red light to help preserve night vision. Red light only slowly depletes the rhodopsin stores in the rods, and instead is viewed by the red sensitive cone cells.

Ah thank you Roland, that's excellent news. I will do that and adjust it properly. In any case it is better to have a bike that rides in a controllable manner than one that jumps all over the place at low revs like the V7 I tried.
Next job I have is to make a rear carrier - I'm not paying the silly money they want. I'll go and buy the tools necessary and have a bash at it.

Sounds like you're having bad luck with all your toys. The V7-III I purchased runs as sweet as a clock, albeit a little cold blooded.

And if you can't read your dash, then get your dealer to take a look. This is a new bike and is under warranty.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dash, kiwi dave, except that if the designer had been to logic school he would know that the easiest to read contrasting colours are yellow digits on a black background. The speedo is something you glance at for a brief fraction of a second, so it would be best to use large digits on a contrasting background. An analogue dial is even better because you just glance at the position of the needle, you don't need to read a digital number. I like the white digits on black with an analogue needle, as I had on my Breva. However the redeeming feature is that it is Italian and therefore by definition style is more important than substance, and a pretty red and white speedo looks flash . ;)
I only rode this V9 in the dark, so it may be better in daylight. I will address the matter with the dealer when I collect the bike.
I must add that I am seriously impressed with this forum, I read elsewhere that the crankcase and final drive ventilators can let rainwater in and emulsify the oil. The way to rectify this is simple and cheap - just add a banjo bolt and a length of tube up to somewhere the water won't reach. Also another thread tells how to rewire the feed to the starter solenoid to give it more volts. I will do all of these things, but of course one could say that the manufacturer should have done them. . . . .

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dash, kiwi dave, except that if the designer had been to logic school he would know that the easiest to read contrasting colours are yellow digits on a black background.

I reckon the opposite is true, black digits on a yellow background is the easiest to read.

Ain't that what you already have for your vehicle licence plates in the UK?

Yes you are right dave, our rear number plates are black digits on a reflective yellow background. Our front number plates are black digits on a reflective white background. I think it is that way because when a car is parked by the side of the road at night, the number plate glows bright in the reflection of approaching headlights. If the digits were yellow on a black background that would not be the case. Actually I have a SYM scooter as well, which has yellow digits on a black background and I have no bother reading that. Maybe that way is better for a speedo as a bright yellow glow might be distracting.
. . . . .Presumably it is morning where you are? it is 22:30 here in cold wet England.

Back