• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve Adjustment Ended Before It Begun...

Mainsail

Just got it firing!
2017 V9 hit 6200 miles, ready to adjust the valves, already off to a very bad start.

3mm hex head spark plug cover screw stripped. Don't know who got these so tight but I got one loose and the second just wallowed out the head. It's no longer a hex, it's round. 😤

I don't have any tool to get that out now, none of my screw extractors are nearly that small.

2017 V9 hit 6200 miles, ready to adjust the valves, already off to a very bad start.

3mm hex head spark plug cover screw stripped. Don't know who got these so tight but I got one loose and the second just wallowed out the head. It's no longer a hex, it's round. 😤

I don't have any tool to get that out now, none of my screw extractors are nearly that small.
Get an impact driver and a good quality torx bit. It will come off in no time. Best 50$ I've ever spent.

I have used an impact wrench with a screwdriver bit that grabbed inside the head. A good pounding has taken stuff like that apart.

My V9 never had any issue like that. Only issue is I literally can't give it away but that's another topic.

The screw extractor I had did nothing but make it worse, as they usually do. Hit home depot and lowes looking for some left-handed drill bits but they don't stock much it seems. Checked napa, nothing. Went next door to harbor freight and they had a set of screw extractors with matching left-handed drill bits, so I got that.

The screw extractors didn't work, but the left-handed drill bits did. Bore down and barely any throttle on the drill let the bit grab, and finally popped it loose.

Adjusted the valves. Afterward I fired it up and it was slow to start, acted like it wasn't going to, ran rough for a bit then smoothed out. I rode it around and it's running perfect now so not sure why it was rough other than maybe turning the rear wheel to spin the engine (to TDC) several times affected it.

I need to hit the Tacoma Screw to find a replacement for the chewed up one, but have a phillips head screw from my hardware hoard in there now.

Last edited:

2017 model? mine new 2022 V7 came with already stripped from the dealer and dropped off (never been serviced ). I noticed it's stripped when trying a normal one in that hole, hardly found a bit bigger one from a factory that makes those kinds of screws ...at least it holds for now, no where I can find a place for time-sert thingy. I could be able to undo the others with a torx wrench . Easy valve clerance has a price.

2017 model? mine new 2022 V7 came with already stripped from the dealer and dropped off (never been serviced ). I noticed it's stripped when trying a normal one in that hole, hardly found a bit bigger one from a factory that makes those kinds of screws ...at least it holds for now, no where I can find a place for time-sert thingy. I could be able to undo the others with a torx wrench . Easy valve clerance has a price.
No, the threads were fine, it was the hex-head that was stripped - as in put the allen wrench in the head of the screw and it spins around. Stripped threads are an even greater nightmare.

No, the threads were fine, it was the hex-head that was stripped - as in put the allen wrench in the head of the screw and it spins around. Stripped threads are an even greater nightmare.
I replaced all with stainless steel and don't use cheap Chinese hex tools, buy some quality tools. I stripped mine too lesson learned.

Back