• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve cover breathers on 1TB (2013+) smallblocks

makarushka

Tuned and Synch'ed
Talking about the vent hoses going from the valve covers to the airbox... Does anyone know why these are implemented this way in contrast to the earlier, 2TB small blocks? Is it because the earlier ones have a vent elsewhere maybe? Tried to find the answer to this in the parts manuals but it's not obvious.

I am wondering if these can be either capped off or at least re-routed with the idea of not feeding hot air and/or oil into the airbox and the throttle body.

Why do you want to re-route?

It has a negligible effect on hp. Even on 60-80 rwhp Sportsters I've seen tested with and without the breather routed to the ac I've seen maybe a 1 hp difference.

And if you're not burning oil, then it has a negligable effect there too.

That said, there's probably no reason you can't route them to a separate breather.

I wouldn't just plug them for obvious reasons.

Guzziology talks about the whole airbox-valve cover breather system, and even for them the system is shrouded in mystery. It seems that for the smallblock the system works a reverse path than for the big blocks, if I remember correctly.

I know some have disconnected it with no ill affects, but I say leave it be and let it do it's job.

Kev M said:

I would not chase any modifications on a smallblock with just HP in mind, and certainly not something minor like this... I am mostly just curious as to why this would be different in the new models vs. the previous generation. Plus I am obsessed with cleaning up the clutter :) Going to leave them as they are...

makarushka said:
Kev M said:

I would not chase any modifications on a smallblock with just HP in mind, and certainly not something minor like this... I am mostly just curious as to why this would be different in the new models vs. the previous generation. Plus I am obsessed with cleaning up the clutter :) Going to leave them as they are...

I hear ya, and I definitely share some of your curiosity.

I've not looked at the 2TB breather system and only took a few minutes to stare at the parts diagram for the 1TB system. I do wonder how everything is routed. I mean that line and what looks like a check valve going to the oil pan - which way are vapors traveling there - up to the breathers or is that an oil drain back valve back to the pan?

I am curious, but for now it's been falling in the "not broke" category. :lol:

It's definitely for emissions. It take the crankcase fumes, that would go out the breather in the old days, to the TB to gone into the combustion chamber to be burned off and caught up in the catastrophic converter. You could plug off the TB connector and just run the tube open to the atmosphere. Actually, doesn't it go to the can first? That generally separates the oil and air sending the air up to the TB. At any rate, removing the can and all can be accomplished easily enough. My last bike just had the breather hose running to the back of the bike. Nothing ever really came out but a light mist that had to be wiped off occasionally..
Bare

Back